Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2014, 12:44 PM

21,020 posts, read 27,221,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Two places that maybe only tylerSC might know about..

First.. All of these have gone the way of the dinosaur, but.. I absolutely loved Chesapeake Bay Seafood House. Late 80's, early 90's.. I was probably half the reason they went out of business. You could get all you can eat crab legs for like $30, and also anything lower priced on the menu.. They had great steamed spiced shrimp.. You could literally spend hours in there eating. Strictly a NoVA/DC/MD chain.

The other.. I swear I thought this place had expanded more than it has.. I thought there used to be one in Spartanburg, that is now.. Jason's Deli? But.. It's Hard Times Cafe. That's a pretty good place.. Basically a chili restaurant.. They have the Cincy style chili, which I'm not a fan of.. but I love their Frito Chili Pie.

As for Checkers.. It's not just here.. They seem to be pulling out of alot of markets.. I remember that in the early 90s, there was a Rally's on East North St.. Building is still there, next to Starbucks, and is a coffee place that I can't recall the name of now.. I'm surprised those two are able to coexist so close to each other.

Reminds me a bit of Schlotzsky's and to an extent, Quizno's.. But, Checkers was much more ingrained around here. Schlotzsky's for the longest time just had the Augusta Rd location.. then, a bunch of them seemed to pop up and then disappear rather quickly. Wade Hampton, a couple were on Woodruff.. I think the one off Pelham in Greer was open, then closed, then reopened. Quizno's doesn't seem to vet their franchisees too well, because they've failed twice here.

Krystal and White Castle.. They just don't do it for me. Reminds me of Steak and Shake, which is another place i'm not a fan of. If I get a burger, I don't want a wafer-thin piece of meat on the bun.
Were you thinking Rock-Ola Café on W.O. Ezell Boulevard in Spartanburg?

Is this currently Liquid Highway? Their drive through would be more efficient if their speaker in the menu worked to place orders before paying and picking up at the window. Starbucks Coffee next door remains busy.

Rally's and Checkers are ironically the same company now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2014, 02:33 PM

17,563 posts, read 15,226,764 times
Yes.. But it was something after Rockola.. That's the building, but I'm pretty sure it was something in between when it was a rockola and being a Jason's Deli now.

Think you're right about Liquid Highway.. Checkers and Rally's have been the same company for a number of years now.. Thinking it was the mid-80's when they merged.

Thinking back on the concepts/chains that didn't make it in the area.. Technically, I guess we have to include Popeye's in that, though.. Legitimately, they didn't really make a push. Max and Erma's used to be out on restaurant row.. That was a pretty good place (Now Chophouse '47)... Tony Roma's didn't make it out there, either. Back Yard Burgers.. Though.. I guess it was only the Simpsonville location that tanked, since the Halton Rd location is still there.. Somehow.

Does anyone remember the Philly steak place that used to be next to Publix in Simpsonville? Was that Philly Connection? There's one in Boiling Springs, but that's it. Del Taco tried breaking back into the area (Weren't they here in the late 70's or so) again by going into Boiling Springs. BS seems to get alot of places that only open there.

I'd almost consider Jack in the Box a failure.. Perhaps it was more of an overreach with the number of stores they came into the area with. Their food, especially breakfast, is a massive failure.

Captain D's, Shoneys we've discussed before.. Dairy Queen.. That's a weird one.. Not as successful around here as I would expect.. Perhaps Mauldin's location will change some of that.

The whole "Self-serve Yogurt" craze doesn't seem to do too well here, either.. There's plenty of examples of this.. Yogo Express in Duncan and Seneca... Blueberry Frog.. Cold Stone Creamery is a chain that came and went decently quick.

Old 02-03-2014, 12:54 AM

21,020 posts, read 27,221,764 times
Quote:
I'd almost consider Jack in the Box a failure.. Perhaps it was more of an overreach with the number of stores they came into the area with. Their food, especially breakfast, is a massive failure.

Captain D's, Shoneys we've discussed before.. Dairy Queen.. That's a weird one.. Not as successful around here as I would expect.. Perhaps Mauldin's location will change some of that.
Jack in the Box had moderate success. Their ultimate cheeseburgers are better than Hardee's and Burger King. They closed 40 locations nationwide in 2010, which 8 of those locations were across the upstate of South Carolina. I was surprised successful locations like Woodruff Road, Greenville; Congaree Road, Greenville; East Main Street, Duncan; and East Main Street, Spartanurg close and bad locations like East Wade Hampton Boulevard, Greer remain open.

Dairy Queen is good also. They need to step up their presence some with the Grill & Chill stores.

Old 02-03-2014, 04:22 AM

5,158 posts, read 7,346,591 times
I think Jack in the Box should have kept their Woodruff Rd. store open. The problem was that the nearby Congaree Rd. store was too close and both stores hurt themselves and pulled from each other. The Woodruff Rd. store would likely do better now with the new Magnolia development nearby and the apartment complex being built behind. I agree their Ultimate Cheeseburgers are good, and so are their milkshakes.

Old 02-03-2014, 04:28 AM

Shoney's has unfortunately declined everywhere. And like I have said, I would like to see a former Big Boy concept return. Frisch's Big Boy in Kentucky and Ohio, Big Boy of Michigan, or Bob's Big Boy from California. And you would think there would be more Denny's in their home upstate market.

Old 02-03-2014, 04:58 AM

I am hoping Popeyes Chicken will eventually expand into the Upstate, as they are having success with a recent entry into the Charlotte market. And they also have locations in Columbia and Atlanta, so Greenville-Spartanburg would fill a void. But there is a Texas chain called Golden Chick that is supposedly coming to Pelham Rd. near Publix. So out of market chains are indeed coming to Greenville, including Jack in the Box and Culver's. Which is why I keep hoping for a Roy Rogers. I have a craving for a good roast beef sandwich with the au jus and the horseradish sauce. Sliced fresh. And Arby's just doesn't do it. Not as good. Plus Roy Rogers has great fried chicken and burgers as well, and its namesake is an American icon and famous cowboy movie star. Good for marketing and he used to appear in the TV ads as well as make personal appearances at various stores.

Old 02-03-2014, 10:06 AM

2,966 posts, read 5,214,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
There is a Krystal on Woodruff Rd. near Costco which is similar to White Castle. But not the same for some people.
Do they make steamed sliders?

Never heard of it and will have to check it out.

Old 02-03-2014, 10:09 AM

2,966 posts, read 5,214,384 times
Quote:
Two . Quizno's doesn't seem to vet their franchisees too well, because they've failed twice here.

Tons of Quiznos kept springing up and failing up North also. Someone told me that they sell the franchise, then force the owners to buy all of their supplies and ingredients from their corporate supplier that is very over priced. Sounds like a franchise scam to me, if it is true. It's too bad, since their subs are much better than Subway.

Old 02-03-2014, 10:19 AM

723 posts, read 1,148,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmachina View Post
Do they make steamed sliders?
Wikipedia: "[Krystal] is known for its small, square hamburger sliders with steamed-in onions. Krystal's burgers resemble those of White Castle."

Old 02-03-2014, 11:42 AM

Krystal has operated off and on in the Greenville area for years. And they have a larger presence down in Georgia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area