Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2013, 08:10 AM

2 posts, read 7,282 times

Advertisements

My husband talked about a possible relocation, so I started to do research. He would be working in Gaffney, so what are good places to live.? I'm from OH, and 2 kids, I'll need a good school. I was more interested in moving close to Charlotte, NC, so what's a good place between Gaffney and Charlotte and what would be the commute time? How bad is rush hours?
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2013, 09:00 AM

1,998 posts, read 4,606,032 times
I've worked in Gaffney and I'd strongly recommend you look into NC cities near Charlotte. I'd investigate Kings Mountain & Gastonia (closest to Charlotte), then Shelby (and perhaps Forest City/Rutherfordton - only if you prefer rural living). You might want to look at Spartanburg but your quality of life will be better closer to Charlotte.

I'm a strong opponent of long commutes (and any commute for that matter) but your QOL (esp for your kids) will be much better closer to Charlotte.

City-Data has a couple of Gaffney, SC threads so you may want to search for those.

Old 06-18-2013, 09:35 AM

98 posts, read 218,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drfranklin View Post
I've worked in Gaffney and I'd strongly recommend you look into NC cities near Charlotte. I'd investigate Kings Mountain & Gastonia (closest to Charlotte), then Shelby (and perhaps Forest City/Rutherfordton - only if you prefer rural living). You might want to look at Spartanburg but your quality of life will be better closer to Charlotte.

I'm a strong opponent of long commutes (and any commute for that matter) but your QOL (esp for your kids) will be much better closer to Charlotte.

City-Data has a couple of Gaffney, SC threads so you may want to search for those.
Amen to this. Gaffney is a nice place but you will find that it doesn't have many of the modern things that are easily found with just a slightly longer commute. Spartanburg has been in a bit of a turnaround the last several years too - they are starting to really have a nice downtown. Looking south of Charlotte as others have suggested should eliminate the risk of any early morning rush (stay under 25 miles or so from the border) and you'll be great.

Old 06-18-2013, 01:09 PM

2 posts, read 7,282 times
Thanks guys, I'll look into the Gastonia location more. How bad would it be to do the taxes if he work in SC and lives in NC?

Old 06-18-2013, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angilie View Post
How bad would it be to do the taxes if he work in SC and lives in NC?
This is the problem with living near state boundaries (work in one, live in another). You will have to file state taxes in both North and South Carolina.

Last edited by drfranklin; 06-18-2013 at 01:37 PM..

Old 06-18-2013, 02:16 PM

958 posts, read 2,620,500 times
Living in Gaffney itself could be quite a culture shock, depending on where you're moving from. You'd probably be better off either in the Charlotte/Gastonia area or Spartanburg. Not saying it's good or bad, just different.

Old 06-18-2013, 02:54 PM

2,781 posts, read 3,289,409 times
Gaffney is pretty small.

NC taxes are pretty high compared to SC. You'd also have to file taxes in both states. I'm pretty sure you'd get some tax credits to reduce double taxation but it's still be a pain.

In that situation I'd recommend living in the Boiling Springs community on the Northeast side of Spartanburg. You could still be pretty close to Gaffney for work and the family would have access to a decent sized town.

Old 06-19-2013, 07:02 AM

14 posts, read 29,741 times
You all would be better off living in the Boiling Springs area north of Spartanburg or the eastside of Spartanburg. I know many people that work in Gaffney that either live on the eastside of Spartanburg or in Boiling Springs. Boiling Springs is a very fast growing area. The schools are very good, many very good neighborhoods, it is a guick commute to Gaffney, and less traffic issues. Spartanburg is a great place to live too. Driving north of Gaffney on I-85 can be a pain because they have not widened the interstate to the north.

Old 06-19-2013, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spa 44 View Post
...Driving north of Gaffney on I-85 can be a pain because they have not widened the interstate to the north.
I completely agree with this - how old is this part of I-85? The amount of traffic just east of Spartanburg on just 4 lanes seems dangerous at times. IMO I-85 needs to be 6 lanes all the way to the NC border!

Old 06-19-2013, 07:19 AM

166 posts, read 189,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drfranklin View Post

Gastonia isn't a real nice area in Charlotte and I don't see any reason to commute all the way over there vs. living in Spartanburg. I'd recommend heading back over to Greenville or Duncan if Spartanburg was not desire, before going to Gastonia. Everything costs more in NC as well, from housing to utlities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area