Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2009, 12:15 PM

35 posts, read 97,089 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! We are doing our research on the area and trying to narrow it down. I am a sahm with 3 boys and my husband is an electrician. We are moving from VT in another year or so, granted the economy picks up. Anyway... I am curious what the locals view as the best area to live in/around spartansburg. I am interested in these schools for their athletics as our oldest eats/sleeps/and breaths football and the younger two aren't following too far behind. I suppose my concerns are 1. which schools are in the best areas, and possibly which towns/zip codes should we focus our real estate searches in 2. which schools have strong academics and involved teachers 3. We are hoping to spend around 150k for a house if that matters 4. do any of these schools have a lax team? 5. do you have any advice or pro/cons for the schools
sorry i know thats a lot of questions. thanks to everyone who chimes in!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2009, 11:15 AM

899 posts, read 2,287,991 times
Well if it is high school football you are looking for, then you are on the right track. When I saw your subject I figured it had to do with this. First I would say that you should seriously consider limiting your search to Byrnes (Spartanburg District 5) and Dorman (Sburg District 6). Gaffney is a much smaller area, the high school is not as good academically, and there is a much smaller number of transplants there (if any). I am a 2000 grad of Byrnes High School (for full disclosure) and I live on the west side of Sburg which is generally Dorman area.

Byrnes is THE football powerhouse in SC with six of the last seven state 4A championships. Dorman also has a strong athletics program and football team as well but just doesn't get all the media hype that Byrnes does.

Both are growing schools, Byrnes is growing at a slightly faster rate. A plus to Dorman is that it is a brand new school facility that is recognized statewide--only high school with stadium seating in gymasium. A plus for Byrnes (or at least many think it is) is that it has the smaller student body of the two: 1,500 to Dorman's 2,300. That was a big consideration for my family choosing to move in District 5 instead of 6 over fifteen years ago.

I think both schools are comprable academically for public schools in SC but this probably requires further investigations. You can look up stats for each school here:
2008 State of South Carolina Education Accountability Act Report Cards - South Carolina Department of Education (http://ed.sc.gov/topics/researchandstats/schoolreportcard/2008/High/ - broken link)
These are the 2008 report cards and just came out last week.

As far as area to live in District 5 and 6, I imagine you could find more house for your money in District 5 if you are looking to stay around 150k. For District 5 (Byrnes) most of the areas you'll want to look are off of Hwy 290 between I-85 and Hwy. 221 as well as Reidville Rd. between Nazareth Church Rd. and Hwy. 101. There are some nice middle class subdivisions off of 290 on Rogers Mill Rd. or directly off of 290 south of the intersection of 290/Reidville Rd.

In District 6 there are tons of developments all over--for 150k you may want to look at neighborhoods off of East Blackstock Rd. going away from the mall but in and around Dawkins Middle. Also tons of housing develoments off of Reidville Rd. and Hwy. 29--not sure about prices but they may have come down now.

Hope this helps.

Old 02-27-2009, 11:17 AM

899 posts, read 2,287,991 times
Also just wanted to mention that District 5 schools are great facilities as well--they have constructed two new middle schools and two new intermediate schools in the past five years or so. Byrnes is constantly being added onto with an athletic facility that is less than 10 years old and they are building a new two story fine arts wing right now.

Old 03-02-2009, 08:43 AM

8 posts, read 36,341 times
Default schools

I completely disagree with the above thread. I would narrow my search to Byrnes and Gaffney. Gaffney is a good school, it has won Palmetto Finest High School of the year and passed its school report card. I am not a big fan of Dorman. It is a very big school and I have 2 friends that their children didn't do well. I also think that you should visit the three schools and visit the towns the there are in. Dorman's zip is 29376 and Gaffney's is 29341. I am unsure about Brynes, housing is much cheaper in Cherokee rather than Spartanburg county.
Good luck to you.

Old 09-28-2009, 11:29 AM

1 posts, read 2,102 times
I love my life yes i do>>>>>

Last edited by mandababi7; 09-28-2009 at 11:30 AM.. Reason: didnt like what i wrote
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area