Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 01:11 PM

31 posts, read 80,990 times

Advertisements

https://secure.avaaz.org/en/petition...ain/?Day2Share

Please sign this petition to keep the environmentally sensitive zoning in place. Take 30 seconds to protect a lifetime of beauty. Online petition signatures are needed by Monday, March 18. Forward/post link if you support this.

A developer has applied for a change in the protective zoning of a 48 acre parcel that would permit the construction of high density multi-family residential and commercial buildings on his tract of land near the summit of Paris Mountain.
We encourage you to join with us in keeping the mountain free from this type of development and oppose this zoning change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2013, 03:00 PM

130 posts, read 224,868 times
So instead you want suburban sprawl on the mountain top? Ok that makes sense. Oh wait a minute.

Let him try and develop what is proposed. He'll fail miserably at it and then the land will be back for sale.

Old 03-13-2013, 03:18 PM

170 posts, read 356,014 times
He's owned the land for years. Seems like I remember something about a hotel, convention meeting area, a chair lift. That was proposed some years back I believe.

Old 03-13-2013, 04:30 PM

1,947 posts, read 2,759,950 times
I will not sign it. I live near this area and would rather have this plan than a new subdivision of houses. Bring it on.

Old 03-13-2013, 08:33 PM

99 posts, read 213,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgubers View Post
He'll fail miserably at it and then the land will be back for sale.
That may be true -- but wouldn't it sell with the new-if-approved zoning intact?

I'm admittedly inconsistent when it comes to land-use rights. I'm a cyclist (and therefore don't want even one car more on our beloved Altamont route) as well as a hiker (and therefore don't want condos/clubhouse/art barn/whatever wrecking the view from the state park trails).

However, I can understand this guy's desire to make money from his property -- in that, he's no different from those downtown developers who are hailed as 'visionaries.' Problem for him, though, is he owns property that so many of us consider in some way to be 'ours.'

And of course there's more than a little irony in Paris Mountain RESIDENTS protesting the fact that someone wants to build homes on Paris Mountain. Bit of a 'now that I have a house here, let's ban all new construction.'

But still. I hate the idea and his potential ineptness makes it more worrisome, not less.

Old 03-19-2013, 04:24 AM

99 posts, read 213,685 times
Heard from a friend who was there that last night's council meeting didn't quite go in the developer's favor. Certainly didn't have his I's dotted or T's crossed re the waste disposal system.

Any C-D folks at the meeting and, if so, what are your thoughts?

Old 03-19-2013, 07:08 AM

170 posts, read 356,014 times
There has always been water and sewer probems up there. I really cannot imagine that much of anything being built up there but money talks more than common sense.

Old 03-28-2013, 12:29 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,794,766 times
Staff recommending denial: http://www.GreenvilleCounty.org/Coun...d%20report.pdf

Old 03-28-2013, 04:42 PM

21,023 posts, read 27,256,961 times
I will gladly support development on Paris Mountain only if there are natural balances to go with it. In this case, I like to see more natural balance.

I would prefer to see more development at Old Buncombe Road at Poinsett Highway before adding more development on Paris Mountain.

Old 03-28-2013, 09:35 PM

684 posts, read 1,186,692 times
I say they open a Six Flags : Paris Mountain. Then we'll be on the map for sure!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area