Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 07:24 PM

130 posts, read 677,944 times

Advertisements

Hello,
We are awaiting our relocation orders but are expecting to get news that it has finally been designated as Greenville, SC. We are excited and starting to research housing communities/neighborhoods. We have 3 young kids and consequently good schools are our #1 priority followed by a great neighborhood with a lot of kids/young families and amenities/social functions.

In looking in the Simpsonville and Greer areas (4 bedrooms up to 450k), we're coming across a lot of beautiful home options but a number of them are in communities without a neighborhood pool. We live in the water in the summer and I was curious what families without a neighborhood pool do for swimming? Are there a lot of swim clubs (for a fee?) or do most families enjoy the waterparks that Greenville County Rec operates?

Thanks for the insight!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2011, 08:00 AM

Ok, not getting any takers. How about this...

Can anyone recommend a swim club that they/their kids have been happy with. Just looking for a place to enjoy the pool in the summer, not a swim team.

Thanks!

Old 02-15-2011, 08:26 AM

4 posts, read 7,920 times
Greenville County's recreation district's water parks are nice, but can tend to be crowded in the summers. Some home communities do offer outside memberships to their pools in the summer. That is definitely worth looking into if the community your family chooses does not offer a pool.

Old 02-15-2011, 09:03 AM

1,998 posts, read 4,609,176 times
I'm going to throw you a curve ball (why limit yourself to Simpsonville and Greer): look into Gower Estates just south of downtown Greenville in the Parkins Mill area. I currently live in Gower and its a fantastic neighborhood. Established, well kept homes in a great, convenient location. The public schools are very good as well. The Gower Pool is expansive and quite nice.

Just FYI: Gower Swim Team is well known as one of the best in the area.

Last edited by drfranklin; 02-15-2011 at 09:41 AM..

Old 02-15-2011, 11:05 AM

Thanks so much for the input! I didn't realize that some communities allowed outside memberships so that's definitely something to consider.

Thanks also for the Gower Estates recommendation. Looks like a great area and certainly close to downtown! We were focusing on the Simpsonville and Greer areas as we tend to like newer homes but until we drive around the area, it's hard to know what's ultimately going to feel most like "home" to us. Are your schools Sara Collins, Beck, and Mann? I'm a little concerned by Sara Collins' low testing scores/rating on greatschools but do love that it is an IB school. Lots to consider!

Thanks again for both your thoughts.

Old 03-16-2011, 07:37 PM

7 posts, read 14,439 times
If you want to stay with Greer and Simpsonville, Sugar Creek subdivision is another great choice.

Old 03-16-2011, 07:50 PM

Thanks for the recommendation. We tend to like homes that are a bit newer although I do like all the mature trees in Sugar Creek. Definitely worth considering!

Right now we're leaning towards Stonehaven and Riverwalk...any residents from there that can comment on the new Five Forks Elementary School being built? I've read the other thread but was curious of residents' take on the new school and whether they think they'll be rezoned from Bethel ES.

Old 03-17-2011, 08:35 AM

4 posts, read 7,920 times
Riverwalk and Stonehaven are both great communities with nice amenities. As far as redistricting for the new elementary school.... I spoke with the Greenville County Schools this morning as I have other clients curious about the new school assignments. The person I spoke with indicated no decisions had been made yet. But, they were in fact in a meeting discussing that very thing this morning. So, you may want to try calling them in a few days. 864-355-7266. You're going to love Greenville! And, the Five Forks area is a very good decision.

Old 03-17-2011, 09:01 AM

Wow! Thanks so much for the info and phone number! I'll try them in a few days and see what they're willing to share. Those communities look exactly like what we're looking for but I'm putting so much effort in to researching their current school assignments. Seems odd/ironic/unnecessary if we end up getting rezoned in a year regardless. Up here the new schools tend to do very well due to newer technology, attraction of experienced teachers, etc. Does that typically hold true down there?

Thanks again!

Old 03-17-2011, 09:21 AM

5,593 posts, read 15,380,209 times
The Swim Association Invitational League (SAIL) is a huge local swim league based in Greenville.

Quote:
The SAIL organization provides a structure whereby over 4,100 swimmers on 38 member teams participate in a competitive swim environment of equal opportunity with standards of participation, administration, and ethics that will be enduring in its goals, constant in its methods, and realistic in its rewards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area