Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2010, 08:31 AM

15 posts, read 36,260 times

Advertisements

My fiance and I will most likely be relocating to Greenville for his job and I am wondering where the locals go to swim and have some outdoor fun? Are there lakes, rivers, swimholes that people like to frequent and how long is the commute?

I'm a big nature enthusiast and love the outdoors...swimming, camping, hiking, bbqing, just nature nature in general.

Downtown looks absolutely perfect for what I'm looking for, next to Liberty Bridge...I can see myself hanging out in that area a LOT!!! I'm assuming there might be little cafe's or small restaurants in that area to enjoy?

Also....how easy is it to make friends? Are people pretty friendly and open to out of staters? (We're moving from Ohio). Where would you suggest meeting new people?

Thanks in advance for any words of advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2010, 08:46 AM

241 posts, read 391,565 times
Default our favorite - Table Rock State Park

Things to Do - Table Rock State Park - South Carolina Parks

Swimming Area: Seasonal lake swimming is offered contingent on lifeguard availability. The swimming area includes a high dive board, low dive board and sandy beach.

Old 07-21-2010, 08:51 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,859,138 times
Just as an FYI/reminder to the many fine folk that use this forum, you can always use the search feature on the upper right of the page. ("Search this Forum")

Here's a couple of previous threads that came up when searching for "swimming."

https://www.city-data.com/forum/green...e-swiming.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/green...ing-holes.html

Old 07-21-2010, 02:13 PM

745 posts, read 2,246,391 times
For hiking and other outdoor activities, there are a number of nice parks all along Hwy 11, which is about 1/2 hour+ from downtown, depending on which way you go. There are lots of waterfalls in this corner of SC.

There is a huge number of restaurants and cafes in downtown Greenville. I think in a recent thread about places with outdoor seating, the total was 59 IIRC.

People in Greenville are very friendly- we seem to meet people on every visit. There are two activities during the summer where they close off Main St to traffic and have bands. Thursday night is rock music; Friday is jazz (or I may have that backwards). Despite being not all that young, we meet people of all ages every time we go.

Old 07-21-2010, 03:45 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,635,025 times
Lake Hartwell is a huge lake on the SC/GA border (about 45 min drive from Greenville), and offers several marinas, many with pontoon and/or ski boat rentals, several city, county & state parks with public beaches on its shores and many other beaches where you can anchor or beach a boat and spend hours relaxing, playing or just floating adjacent to your boat. There is also kayaking available in the nearby mountains (check out Sunrift Adventures :: #1 outdoor outfitter since 1980&reg).

Old 07-21-2010, 04:41 PM

10 posts, read 23,598 times
Amazing post, let me know if you find anything good!

Old 07-21-2010, 07:22 PM

511 posts, read 1,530,647 times
Default Lakes

I prefer Lake Keowee (just personal preference), Hartwell is nice as well. I live in Easley & it takes me about 35 min. to get to Lake Keowee. I go to the south end (closest to Seneca), the north end is closer to scenic Hwy. 11. You may like Lake Jocassee as well.

Walking & biking, check out The Swamp Rabbit Trail.

Old 07-22-2010, 03:23 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,955,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgriss View Post
I prefer Lake Keowee (just personal preference), Hartwell is nice as well. I live in Easley & it takes me about 35 min. to get to Lake Keowee. I go to the south end (closest to Seneca), the north end is closer to scenic Hwy. 11. You may like Lake Jocassee as well.

Walking & biking, check out The Swamp Rabbit Trail.
All three lakes are pretty amazing.....we are truely blessed in the Upstate to have these lakes.

If you go to Hartwell, you have to take a boat out to one of the numerous
islands with sandy beaches. A great way to spend a weekend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area