Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 02:38 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,548,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
It's not just crap, it's poison. It slowly kills you from the inside out. I can't believe people feed it to their kids with all the hormones, chemicals, and antibiotics, not to mention the sugar, salt and saturated fat in that stuff. It's not food.
I really have to put my blinders on about all that stuff.... I'm reasonably healthy for my age, and have consumed the stuff all my life. I enjoy certain things, and I have no intention of changing my habits to any great extent. Yes, I'm trying to watch portions, and try to buy low-fat, high-fiber versions of things at the grocery store & have started moderate exercise recently, but I'm not going to get up on any soapbox about it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2010, 02:54 PM

5,238 posts, read 8,794,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateBooster View Post
It's all about the market in the good ol' U.S. of A..... At least until Those Currently in Power change that part..

If there's a market for that, let them have it. As long as the establishments themselves are aesthetically pleasing, I have no problem with them at all.
The so-called "market" for food isn't anything remotely close to a free market. If the government would get out of agribusiness, the price of this crap would skyrocket. If we as tax payers are going to all pay for not only this crap, but for the dire health consequences it wreaks on our society, "Those Currently in Power" should be regulating the quality of this, uh, "food." We require warning labels on the poisons under our sink, we should also warn people about the poisons in our food supply. There should at least be a big fat warning label on your whopper, if not an outright ban on serving it to people under 18.

Official Food, Inc. Movie Site - Hungry For Change?

Old 07-08-2010, 05:14 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,533,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruvidu View Post
The Whopper Jr.
340 calories 5g sat. fat 35mg cholesterol 6g sugar 28g carbs
20g fat 0.5g trans fat 14g protein 530mg sodium
If its all you ever eat it's a problem; I rarely have it more than once a month these days.

Old 07-08-2010, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
if its all you ever eat it's a problem; i rarely have it more than once a month these days.
Exactly.

Old 07-08-2010, 06:36 PM

Quote:
The so-called "market" for food isn't anything remotely close to a free market. If the government would get out of agribusiness, the price of this crap would skyrocket. If we as tax payers are going to all pay for not only this crap, but for the dire health consequences it wreaks on our society, "Those Currently in Power" should be regulating the quality of this, uh, "food." We require warning labels on the poisons under our sink, we should also warn people about the poisons in our food supply. There should at least be a big fat warning label on your whopper, if not an outright ban on serving it to people under 18.

Official Food, Inc. Movie Site - Hungry For Change?
Art.... Seriously.... Chill out, dude!

Old 07-08-2010, 06:55 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,864,685 times
Quote:
There should at least be a big fat warning label on your whopper, if not an outright ban on serving it to people under 18.
More government regulation to spend more of our tax dollars? Ummm, don;t think so.

If people eating a Whopper are too dumb to know that it is unhealthy, then maybe their lives deserve to be shortened. Weed out the dumb!! Sort of joking, of course, but really.....this isn't brain surgery.....most any kid over the age of five knows that a Granny Smith Apple is healthy and a Whopper is unhealthy.

Old 07-08-2010, 07:39 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,797,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
More government regulation to spend more of our tax dollars? Ummm, don;t think so.

If people eating a Whopper are too dumb to know that it is unhealthy, then maybe their lives deserve to be shortened. Weed out the dumb!! Sort of joking, of course, but really.....this isn't brain surgery.....most any kid over the age of five knows that a Granny Smith Apple is healthy and a Whopper is unhealthy.
Agreed. If people are dumb enough to eat this stuff then they deserve the consequences without my tax dollars going towards it. Our government already regulates things and taxes us to death enough. Pretty soon they'll start regulating how much oxygen we breathe and tax us for how much of it we use. However, there are obese people who have to go to the hospital from eating too much junk food and can't afford the bill. Guess who pays for it then?

Last edited by g-man430; 07-08-2010 at 07:47 PM..

Old 07-08-2010, 07:46 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,797,602 times
Quote:
It's not just crap, it's poison. It slowly kills you from the inside out. I can't believe people feed it to their kids with all the hormones, chemicals, and antibiotics, not to mention the sugar, salt and saturated fat in that stuff. It's not food.
Like with the Reedy River thread, I wouldn't feed this stuff to my dog if I had one.

Old 07-08-2010, 08:15 PM

1,941 posts, read 4,470,923 times
Let people eat what they want to. We need less government intervention, not more. The risks and benefits of eating certain things are readily available for people who have the interest in obtaining the information. And for those who choose to eat crappy food a majority of the time, they can be free to pay for any health consequences that result. This is not complicated.

Old 07-09-2010, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenville View Post
Let people eat what they want to. We need less government intervention, not more. The risks and benefits of eating certain things are readily available for people who have the interest in obtaining the information. And for those who choose to eat crappy food a majority of the time, they can be free to pay for any health consequences that result. This is not complicated.
I agree. Education, not regulation, is what's needed.

However, folks seem to be de-sensitized to the real, direct health consequences of smoking, despite decades of campaigning by the government against it. For better or worse, the most you can do in a truly free society is to make sure people know the risks and costs of certain actions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area