Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 11:33 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,607,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
It depends.

Did you buy the house, knowing that your neighborhood had restrictions?

If so, then yes, they have every right. You agreed to the policy.

If you owned the home, before the association took form, and you never agreed to it, then no, you have every right to do whatever the hell it is you want.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Sure they do. Nobody is forced to live in a HOA.
Yes and yes Some at our yearly HOA mtg thought they could get the CCR's changed to allow clotheslines, since they know our developer promotes being a green builder. A year later the answer was a resounding No "Some" sure were naive not to understand the "green dream" is a marketing ploy that had sucked them in and will spit them back out!

Old 05-17-2010, 01:23 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,867,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
But mostly, I'm just thankful that I have a choice -- HOA or no HOA. That's MY choice, and I like having the choice.
Choice of fascism or no fascism really isn't a choice.

Old 05-17-2010, 04:36 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,744,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
If you don't like the HOA's rules, don't join it.

Its that simple.

It never fails to amaze me that people enter into contracts, then want out of the contracts, once they no longer like the terms.
What if you live in a neighborhood that had no HOA when you moved in, but as time passed, developed one?

"If you don't like it, then move."
?

Old 05-17-2010, 04:48 AM

5,670 posts, read 5,106,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
What if you live in a neighborhood that had no HOA when you moved in, but as time passed, developed one?

"If you don't like it, then move."?
Then you're not obligated to become part of it. The CCRs that an HOA operate under are tied to the deed of property and registered with the local government as part of that deed - the county, borough, etc. This must be done by the property owner, usually a developer looking to create a community, in conjunction with government who is looking to create desirable communities within it's boundaries.

No one can "force" you to 'become" part of an HOA against your wishes. You must either buy into one (which exists as a legal entity before the first home in a develpment is sold) or actively be part of a group looking to create one in an existing neighborhood. Everyone who is screaming how terrible they are based upon bad experiences willingly bought into one. Either that or they stupidly neglected to read all the documents when they closed on their house. "HOA? What HOA? I didn't know there was an HOA? <whine, whine...>"

Old 05-17-2010, 06:42 AM

9 posts, read 10,450 times
You can make all the excuses you want. The bottom line is intil you make fixing the HOA a priority and get involved you have no room to complain. Most states have laws govenring how HOA's must operate including scheduling meeings and notifying residents. You din't have to go to every meeting. Research can be done at hime about what controls there are in place. You also need to get copies and read your HOA by-laws. Come on here, it isn't like HOA's meet once a week and you can't find the time. Besides, any resident can request a meeting be called. Get together with others who see the same problems and demand a special meeting.

If you do nothing you get nothing.

Old 05-17-2010, 09:01 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,744,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
Then you're not obligated to become part of it. The CCRs that an HOA operate under are tied to the deed of property and registered with the local government as part of that deed - the county, borough, etc. This must be done by the property owner, usually a developer looking to create a community, in conjunction with government who is looking to create desirable communities within it's boundaries.

No one can "force" you to 'become" part of an HOA against your wishes. You must either buy into one (which exists as a legal entity before the first home in a develpment is sold) or actively be part of a group looking to create one in an existing neighborhood. Everyone who is screaming how terrible they are based upon bad experiences willingly bought into one. Either that or they stupidly neglected to read all the documents when they closed on their house. "HOA? What HOA? I didn't know there was an HOA? <whine, whine...>"
When all your neighbors get together to establish one, and you want no part of it, influence will be exercised upon you.

Old 05-17-2010, 10:37 AM

Absolutely correct!

Old 05-18-2010, 10:06 AM

26,120 posts, read 19,063,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold*dust1 View Post
Yes and yes Some at our yearly HOA mtg thought they could get the CCR's changed to allow clotheslines, since they know our developer promotes being a green builder. A year later the answer was a resounding No "Some" sure were naive not to understand the "green dream" is a marketing ploy that had sucked them in and will spit them back out!
I don't really care so much about 'green dreams.' But I can tell you one thing that is NOT a marketing ploy: my clothes hanging out in the afternoon summer breeze costs me nothing. It's a FACT that when the drier is not running, it's not using electricity, thus not costing me one red cent. That's not a dream, it's a reality. Add those times the drier would not be running for an entire year, and it's substantial money saved. And it's no harder to do than loading and unloading the drier. Using machines for everything is not always cost effective--in time or money. When will your HOA require a butt wiping machine?

The only marketing ploy is the one that has convinced you to hook one-way free-flow pipes from your wallet to your keepers' bank accounts. Of course they are going to bawl their eyes out when you attempt to break the modern captive consumer norms. I'll bet if you were to go out and mow your lawn with a manual push reel mower, they'd probably have a SWAT team there within minutes--can't have you not burning gas. Oh, sorry, you probably can't have any sort of mower... your HOA requires you to hire a commercial lawn care service with their huge power mowers, right? You mowing your own lawn is a sign of dire poverty.

Old 05-18-2010, 12:39 PM

When you figure out how to have people keep the clothes lines inconspicuous, in good condition without letting clothes hang forever or their bra and panties flapping in the wind. No rusty leaning over posts, grass trimmed around them, no unsightly line poles to hold them up. Then convince the buying public they want to pay top dollar to live in your neighborhood, let us know. You just might be on to something. Until then, follow the rules or get involved and change them. It is the beignning of urban blight that will lead to more relaxed rules. After all if Joe can have his clothes line why can't I have my inoperable car on blocks next to the garage for the next 10 years while I save up money to get the battery for it. Really wish I could move it to mow around but I can't. Sorry!. If bill can have his car and Joe his clothes line, I see no reason why I can't have my Pit Bull raising business in the back yard. I know dogs crap and bark, but, hey they are dogs, what can I do about it!!!

Old 05-18-2010, 01:34 PM

445 posts, read 1,607,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beldenmeg View Post
When you figure out how to have people keep the clothes lines inconspicuous, in good condition without letting clothes hang forever or their bra and panties flapping in the wind. No rusty leaning over posts, grass trimmed around them, no unsightly line poles to hold them up. Then convince the buying public they want to pay top dollar to live in your neighborhood, let us know. You just might be on to something. Until then, follow the rules or get involved and change them. It is the beignning of urban blight that will lead to more relaxed rules. After all if Joe can have his clothes line why can't I have my inoperable car on blocks next to the garage for the next 10 years while I save up money to get the battery for it. Really wish I could move it to mow around but I can't. Sorry!. If bill can have his car and Joe his clothes line, I see no reason why I can't have my Pit Bull raising business in the back yard. I know dogs crap and bark, but, hey they are dogs, what can I do about it!!!
I would be happy as a pig in sh*t if bill would only have one car that is inoperable BUT NNOO and county council can't write an ordinance that is enforceable
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates