Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 06:39 PM

5,660 posts, read 5,088,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
That one was already fought in Arizona and lost. The Federal Government is giving an energy savings tax credit so the HOA is contradicting a Federal Program
But is the energy tax credit for putting up clotheslines? Solar panels, yes. HOAs (I'm a Board member in ours) cannot prohibit SPs but can restrict placement to the least visible portion of a property (e.g., back side of the roof) where they will still be effective. It's very similar to the OTARD regulations on satellite dishes.

FWIW, I joined the Board only because my neighborhood is full of idiots who would either run amuck with unreasonable regulations or total disregard of the CCRs. I try to be the voice of reason. (OK, comments from the Peanut Gallery are sure to follow...)

Old 05-13-2010, 06:47 PM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TropicalAussie View Post
I can't believe that there are people in the US who are not free to hang their clothes out to dry.
Obviously we are not so free as you think we are...

Old 05-13-2010, 06:50 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,051,128 times
Look before you leap. Make sure you know the rules before moving into a development. Otherwise, your ignorance will cause heartache.

Old 05-13-2010, 07:09 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Since when is using a clothesline a sign of poverty. That's stupid. Lots of people prefer to air their clothes out rather than use a dryer. I even hang my down comforter out in the winter--sub freezing temperatures will freeze any nasty little dust mites to death and for someone with allergies, that's a plus.

Sheets smell nice when they've been line dried too. I'm so glad we don't have HOAs around here.
Even if I didn't want to use a clothes line or have a certain fence, it's the idea of being TOLD what to do with my own home. There are zoning laws for that and they're usually pretty fair and free.

Old 05-13-2010, 07:19 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
Market forces will take care of this issue. If you don't want to follow the rules don't live there. Just understand you might need to pay more in electricity in about 25yrs when solar power might actually be efficient.

Old 05-13-2010, 08:35 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,862,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Obviously we are not so free as you think we are...
I think it is a case of Americans are not as free as they think they are.

Old 05-13-2010, 09:17 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,963,636 times
Thumbs down who determines what is "energy saving"

Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post

Should there be a national law making it clear that HOAs do not have the power to forbid energy-saving measures such as solar panels or backyard clotheslines?
Here we go again, a new national law to only thwart individual freedom and perpetuate a autocratic mind set. Personally I believe HOAs are also unconstitutional and is a devious and malicious attempt to dilute private property rights.

Taken a step further, you have these green mush brains who really buy this Al Gore Solar Panel crap as a way to save energy??? Whereas they use a significantly more energy and natural resources than either, coal, oil or gas.

I guess maybe they will all grieve a lot when Al's new 8 million $$$ Monte Cito Villa on the California Coast is under water because of the rising sea levels that he claims will engulf all of our coastal cities.

Old 05-14-2010, 06:18 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,086,869 times
my sister lives in a community where you are not allowed to have clotheslines , park your company car in the driveway , you are not allowed to paint your house but certain colors , and you have to get permission as to what plants you can plant and yes you should look before you leap because you have those HOA nazis out there that do go overboard . Oh and you are not allowed to leave your dog alone in the yard even though it is fenced .It is just ridiculous with some of these HOAs.

Old 05-14-2010, 06:36 AM

19,517 posts, read 9,540,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
Market forces will take care of this issue. If you don't want to follow the rules don't live there. Just understand you might need to pay more in electricity in about 25yrs when solar power might actually be efficient.

That's not always the case. Told real estate agent what we were looking for in a home, [reference to HOA's] and viewed many in different areas. Moved into a subdivision because we liked the house and the location and were told
that there was an HOA but it's status was labeled inactive, but collection of dues 50.00 a year [snow plowing]. Seemed reasonable esp since we left an area that we were paying 50 per month. Several years passed and certain people moved in and the next thing ya know, the HOA becomes active. Still
it's better than some HOA's around. How certain members on the HOA board view the economy, the environment, children, and pets, can pretty much determine what the rules are and how the rules will be put into place and which ones they aggressively pursue.

Old 05-14-2010, 07:24 AM

1,777 posts, read 4,859,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
my sister lives in a community where you are not allowed to have clotheslines , park your company car in the driveway , you are not allowed to paint your house but certain colors , and you have to get permission as to what plants you can plant and yes you should look before you leap because you have those HOA nazis out there that do go overboard . Oh and you are not allowed to leave your dog alone in the yard even though it is fenced .It is just ridiculous with some of these HOAs.
so 2 dogs is ok?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates