Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 10:08 PM

2,539 posts, read 4,094,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
I'm not so sure. I think we could take a cue from the Swiss...

Why no one invades Switzerland
I don't have any guns, just like to buy many bullets!!

Old 04-01-2010, 10:11 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,510,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepejeep View Post
Don't feed the troll. He'll never learn and doesn't want to anyway .
I defy him or anyone else to show me proof that more guns in the hands of law abiding people has caused crime to rise.
Perhaps the opposite?
Kennesaw, Georgia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-01-2010, 10:34 PM

29,981 posts, read 43,019,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
So big deal. You can find a gun nut blog that steers you to a slanted self-serving article, and you know how to cut and paste it. Good for you.

By the way, see if you can find a single link to a single person or site who advocates a gun-free America. Find me one person who says he wants all guns taken away from all private citizens. If you can't show me anyone who wants a gun-free America, why are you raising the question? Who are you opposed to?

Obama on banning CCW laws

YouTube - Obama on concealed weapons permits

The Joyce Foundation & Obama
BarackBook: The Joyce Foundation

Old 04-01-2010, 10:38 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,187,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Obama on banning CCW laws
That's the same as confiscating all guns from all private citizens, right?

Old 04-01-2010, 11:03 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,187,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konraden View Post
The Kennesaw phenomenon is based purely on a false perception that everyone has a gun. In fact. they don't. Residents are exempted from the law if they have a moral objection to owning a gun, which probably includes practically everyone that didn't already have one. There has not been a single prosecution of a householder for failure to comply with the "compulsory" gun ordinance---it's nothing but window dressing. The increase in the number of armed households since the law has probably been insignificant.

Note that the Wiki site you linked to (as of this hour) contains false information that was planted there, probably by a gun-nut vandal, stating that the murder and rape rates have been zero since the gun ban. In fact, from 1999 to 2005, there were four murders and seven rapes. In that same period, Acworth had 1 murder, Duluth had 4, and Alpharetta 5.

Old 04-02-2010, 01:23 AM

3,614 posts, read 3,510,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
The Kennesaw phenomenon is based purely on a false perception that everyone has a gun. In fact. they don't. Residents are exempted from the law if they have a moral objection to owning a gun, which probably includes practically everyone that didn't already have one.
That's opinion.

Quote:
There has not been a single prosecution of a householder for failure to comply with the "compulsory" gun ordinance---it's nothing but window dressing. The increase in the number of armed households since the law has probably been insignificant.
Why would a criminal conduct business in a city where the law states people must have a functioning firearm in their home.
And the crime has dropped over the past years. It's the lowest for cities of its size.
Gun Ownership Mandatory In Kennesaw, Georgia --- Crime Rate Plummets

Of course, more fun information.
Kennesaw, GA « Felons for Gun Control
Quote:
Originally Posted by
[FONT=Palatino, Book Antiqua, Times New Roman, Georgia, Times
By comparison, the population of Morton Grove, the first city in Illinois to adopt a gun ban for anyone other than police officers, has actually dropped slightly and stands at 22,202, according to 2005 statistics. More significantly, perhaps, the city’s crime rate increased by 15.7 percent immediately after the gun ban, even though the overall crime rate in Cook County rose only 3 percent. Today, by comparison, the township’s crime rate stands at 2,268 per 100,000.
[/font]

Why would a criminal conduct business in a city where the law states people must have a functioning firearm in their home. Criminals are cowards, they aren't going to face off with people that might be armed if somebody else where is definitely not going to be armed. "Gun-free" zones are just killzones for anyone insistent on killing people.

Quote:
Note that the Wiki site you linked to (as of this hour) contains false information that was planted there, probably by a gun-nut vandal, stating that the murder and rape rates have been zero since the gun ban. In fact, from 1999 to 2005, there were four murders and seven rapes. In that same period, Acworth had 1 murder, Duluth had 4, and Alpharetta 5.
Cite, and fix the information if you so please.

Other sites still report Kennesaw as far below GA average and national averages.
City Center Kennesaw, GA Neighborhood Profile

Old 04-02-2010, 06:17 AM

29,752 posts, read 14,813,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellicose View Post
Oh sure, that will make the U.S. safer. Might as well ban knives too while you're at it.
Hey aren't they doing that in the UK ? There must be zero crimes over there !! LOL

Old 04-02-2010, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Do you even know what an assault rifle is? Can you say if these are legal anywhere at all? If they are who may own one?

I expect a few detailed bits of what you know.
Aren't assault weapons those evil black rifles with a couple of letters and a couple of numbers for names ?? you know ... dare I say it.. AK-47... or AR-15 ?!?

Old 04-02-2010, 06:38 AM

I apologize for the sarcasm in my last couple of posts. It just baffles my mind on how people really can believe that a "gun free" (private citizens) America would be safer. I also disagree with Pistol free zones , areas where people that have a concealed weapons permit cannot carry. To me this basically just tells the criminals "here come and get me , I'm unarmed !" Do you think they follow these rules ?

Old 04-02-2010, 06:42 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,736,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
I apologize for the sarcasm in my last couple of posts. It just baffles my mind on how people really can believe that a "gun free" (private citizens) America would be safer. I also disagree with Pistol free zones , areas where people that have a concealed weapons permit cannot carry. To me this basically just tells the criminals "here come and get me , I'm unarmed !" Do you think they follow these rules ?
You just touched on one of the key elements of the entire debate.

Criminals do not abide by the law. That is why they are called criminals!

At the center of the gun debate is the undeniable fact that if guns are outlawed, criminals will still have them. Period. And how is that going to help anything?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates