Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2010, 12:12 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,165,912 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
The national instant check system (NICS).
Doesn't that require that you identify yourself, with the equivalent of a national ID card, before exercising your second amendment right? A violation of your principle? Would you like to need to present an ID card in order to exercise your First Amendment rights? Speech, or religion?

In other words, in order to bear arms, you are first presumed to be a felon, and can exercise your constitutional right only after you have proven that you are not a felon. What kind of a right is that?

Last edited by jtur88; 04-03-2010 at 12:20 PM..

Old 04-03-2010, 12:26 PM

45,576 posts, read 60,878,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Doesn't that require that you identify yourself, with the equivalent of a national ID card, before exercising your second amendment right? A violation of your principle? Would you like to need to present an ID card in order to exercise your First Amendment rights? Speech, or religion?

In other words, in order to bear arms, you are first presumed to be a felon, and can exercise your constitutional right only after you have proven that you are not a felon. What kind of a right is that?
Yes, you must provide positive identification. I use my MD driver's license. It doesn't present me with a problem.
As far as exercising First Amendment rights, let's say freedom of speech: if one writes a Letter the the Editor most newspapers I'm aware of require the letter to be signed with contact information. Freedom of assembly: many jurisdictions require the equivalent of a parade permit to hold a demonstration. Freedom of religion: I don't know about you but I had to list a religion when I was in the Navy and it was imprinted on my dog tags.
Exactly what are you arguing now?

Old 04-03-2010, 12:30 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,730,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Now it's YOUR turn to cite where I EVER said that my family and myself are so skilled with firearms that we "cannot be taken down". We compete, we hunt, yes we have skill with arms......can't be taken down? pull that one up for me would ya. My question to you stands, and I am not, nor have I, ever been talking about all out bans being called for ...by anyone. I am citing YOUR opinion that "certain types of firearms" can , and should, be banned("Assault weapons", in your words) and I asked you to define the parameters YOU would use to define these types of shooting iron. So, I am under no obligation to provide links to something I never touted as a talking point, you, however, claim I have flatly stated I am invincible and "cannot be taken down"? BULL****!!! And cutting and pasting stuff together from separate posts, quoting totally out of context etc....don't count pard. You ARE famous for that garbage..
Do you really expect anything different from said member? Half the time he's arguing with himself, because he forgot what he was saying an hour ago.

Anybody who thinks banning guns will keep people from committing crimes and killing people is deluded. It's possible that it would cause some crimes to dwindle, but other crimes would increase. But more importantly, when people are angry and determined to kill, they'll find a way to kill. It was happening for eons before guns were invented.

Old 04-03-2010, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Yes, you must provide positive identification. I use my MD driver's license. It doesn't present me with a problem.
As far as exercising First Amendment rights, let's say freedom of speech: if one writes a Letter the the Editor most newspapers I'm aware of require the letter to be signed with contact information. Freedom of assembly: many jurisdictions require the equivalent of a parade permit to hold a demonstration. Freedom of religion: I don't know about you but I had to list a religion when I was in the Navy and it was imprinted on my dog tags.
Exactly what are you arguing now?
You do not need to sign a letter to an editor unless you expect him to publish it, which he has a First Amendment right to do or not do at his discretion. You don't need to identify yourself in order to express your opinion. You and I just did, and nobody is requiring either of us to identify ourselves.

You do not need to identify yourself in order to go into a church and worship according to your First Amendment rights. When you joined the navy, you voluntarily subjected yourself to servitude, and agreed to do everything they told you to do, irrespective of constitutional rights. I will bet my farm that you had the right to say "none" or "not stated" or "Druid" when asked your religion.

The requirement to get a permit to assemble is as galling to me as the requirement to get a permit to own a gun is to you. Each of us see at least one of those requirements as a violation of our constitutional rights. If it is OK to require protesters to get a permit, why is it not OK to require gun owners to get a permit?

Old 04-03-2010, 01:01 PM

29,981 posts, read 43,011,290 times
Quote:
You do not need to sign a letter to an editor unless you expect him to publish it, which he has a First Amendment right to do or not do at his discretion. You don't need to identify yourself in order to express your opinion. You and I just did, and nobody is requiring either of us to identify ourselves.

You do not need to identify yourself in order to go into a church and worship according to your First Amendment rights. When you joined the navy, you voluntarily subjected yourself to servitude, and agreed to do everything they told you to do, irrespective of constitutional rights. I will bet my farm that you had the right to say "none" or "not stated" or "Druid" when asked your religion.

The requirement to get a permit to assemble is as galling to me as the requirement to get a permit to own a gun is to you. Each of us see at least one of those requirements as a violation of our constitutional rights. If it is OK to require protesters to get a permit, why is it not OK to require gun owners to get a permit?
So your arguement is really that as long as part of a Creator granted right has benn infringed upon by the government than why not allow the government to further encrouch upon that right to the point of elimination of said Constitutional right? That summs it up doesn't it? Sounds like what liberals do! However, it is not governments place to limit a right it does not and cannot grant. Our rights are natural and endowed by our Creator, not from government. Period.

Do you purchase a permit before you speak or before you worship? Do you purchase a permit in order to vote (a.k.a poll tax)? Do you purchase a permit every time you participate in commerce?

Your position is a stupid one based on faulty reasoning. Go away.

Old 04-03-2010, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
S

Your position is a stupid one based on faulty reasoning. Go away.
You should have read the posts before the one you commented on.

I said that if you believe a person has a right to bear arms, why does he need to identify himself first? What's the faulty reasoning?

Go away, and read the thread, and then come back.

Old 04-03-2010, 01:26 PM

898 posts, read 1,406,475 times
Quote:
I have a general question, which anyone is free to answer.

Let's grant that A) anyone should be able to buy a gun, no questions asked, and B) convicted felons shouldn't be allowed to own guns. OK. If a felon goes into a gun shop, how do we know he is a felon?

Oh, here's another question. You know that law in Kennesaw GA, that everyone has to have a gun? Would you be in favor of such a law in East St. Louis, or Gary, or Camden? Or do you assume that everyone already has a gun in those cities, and that's why their crime rates are so low?
Easy answer. Put said felon into the electric chair before any possibility of parole, and he won't ever show up in any sort of gun shop looking for a firearm.

Old 04-03-2010, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melinuxfool View Post
Easy answer. Put said felon into the electric chair before any possibility of parole, and he won't ever show up in any sort of gun shop looking for a firearm.
Good idea. Mandatory execution for all felonies. I'm glad you warned us with your screen name that you are a fool.

Old 04-03-2010, 01:45 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,730,442 times
Quote:
You should have read the posts before the one you commented on.

I said that if you believe a person has a right to bear arms, why does he need to identify himself first? What's the faulty reasoning?

Go away, and read the thread, and then come back.
It follows the same line of reasoning that says convicted felons and non-citizens cannot vote. Neither can convicted felons legally buy guns.

Kind of a common sense thing.

Old 04-03-2010, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
It follows the same line of reasoning that says convicted felons and non-citizens cannot vote. Neither can convicted felons legally buy guns.

Kind of a common sense thing.
Constitution doesn't give anyone the right to vote. Less than 0.5% of Americans voted in the 1792 presidential election.. The rest didn't have the right to vote. Along some "line of reasoning" which was a "common sense thing".

Last edited by jtur88; 04-03-2010 at 02:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates