Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 12:50 PM

994 posts, read 1,681,868 times

Advertisements

I was thinking that a paternity test at birth would solve all this *who is your daddy* nonsense family court has to deal with. It sure would save a lot of money and time. So why aren't all newborns given a paternity test???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2010, 12:59 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,212,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin_kernel View Post
I was thinking that a paternity test at birth would solve all this *who is your daddy* nonsense family court has to deal with. It sure would save a lot of money and time. So why aren't all newborns given a paternity test???
Interesting idea but I see a few problems.

One is the cost, I am sure it is high.

Two is privacy, I don't want my DNA is some government database.

Three is in some cases you can't find the Dad.

Old 03-11-2010, 01:14 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
I don't see why it matters. It used to be that the legal husband of a woman was the lawful father of any children born during the marriage. What's wrong with that? If there was no legal marriage in effect, then fatherhood was worked out amicably between the mother and whatever boyfriend was willing to be the father, or else had no father. Paternity tests have created a lot more problems than they've solved.

Old 03-11-2010, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I don't see why it matters. It used to be that the legal husband of a woman was the lawful father of any children born during the marriage. What's wrong with that? Paternity tests have created a lot more problems than they've solved.
I can understand where you are coming from, but if a paternity test was given to each child regardless of the status of the parents would this not solve problems as well. For one the father could not deny his child, paternity fraud rates would drop drastically. Paternity fraud does cost the taxpayers a lot of money ..even if it does not appear so.

Old 03-11-2010, 01:28 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,622,415 times
I don't really understand how this would work, since it's the adult sexual partners who need to be tested. Are you suggesting that all ppl submit bloodwork to a national database and then babies be matched up at birth? What about contamination and errors? DNA can be used to exclude but when you're casting a huge net over an entire populace there's bound to be mistakes.

Old 03-11-2010, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokingGun View Post
I don't really understand how this would work, since it's the adult sexual partners who need to be tested. Are you suggesting that all ppl submit bloodwork to a national database and then babies be matched up at birth? What about contamination and errors? DNA can be used to exclude but when you're casting a huge net over an entire populace there's bound to be mistakes.
Not even all that...just a cheek swab of the man the woman claims is the father.

Old 03-11-2010, 01:42 PM

36,520 posts, read 30,856,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin_kernel View Post
Not even all that...just a cheek swab of the man the woman claims is the father.
In most cases it is not necessary so why not just do this when paternity is in question?

What if no father is listed. What if he is not available? Who will have access to the results (Jerry Springer), where will the data be maintained?

Old 03-11-2010, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
In most cases it is not necessary so why not just do this when paternity is in question?

What if no father is listed. What if he is not available? Who will have access to the results (Jerry Springer), where will the data be maintained?
If no father is listed...then there is no father...that's an easy one. I would like to see this implemented when child support is awarded....meaning no child support until a DNA test proves the kid is indeed yours. I really can't see how one could be against this idea.

Old 03-11-2010, 01:59 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
Shouldn't the husband of the mother be entitled to be regarded as the father of the child----even if a the child was conceived in a one-night stand with a person whose identity was never even known to the mother? If nobody ever raises the question, why open that can of worms? This is what I mean by the potential to do a great deal more harm than good. It should never cost any public funds at all. It's up to the parents of the child to sort it out, at their option, if they institute litigation at their own expense. And leave it alone if they don't and everyone is happy with the situation.

Old 03-11-2010, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Shouldn't the husband of the mother be entitled to be regarded as the father of the child----even if a the child was conceived in a one-night stand with a person whose identity was never even known to the mother? If nobody ever raises the question, why open that can of worms? This is what I mean by the potential to do a great deal more harm than good. It should never cost any public funds at all. It's up to the parents of the child to sort it out, at their option, if they institute litigation at their own expense.
What?? In your example...does the husband KNOW that the kid isn't his? If so what makes you think he would even stick around if he found out he was cheated on?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates