Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 11:47 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,186,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycanmaster View Post
I wouldn't make it a mandatory procedure, but I would like to see it offered as an option to all expectant mothers and fathers.
Trying to imagine how that conversation would go down between a husband and wife...and I can't.

"Honey, wouldn't it be fun if we..."
"Honey, maybe we should..."
"Honey, how about we..."
"Honey, you know when you were out of town..."
"Honey, maybe your friend living with us wasn't the best idea..."
"Honey, that wasn't really a prowler you nearly caught that night..."
"Honey, feel like making a little wager?"

Naaah...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2010, 11:52 AM

4,901 posts, read 3,358,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winecountry1 View Post
No kidding. I think it's absolutely ridiculous to make a man support a child that is NOT his own, unless he knowingly and willingly WANTS to. My GOD, what about the man who actually did sire the kid?? So he gets to just walk away from his responsibilities so somebody else can do the job that is supposed to be his???

This is what pisses me off about society. People dont take responsiblilty for anything. If you went out and dropped your pants (man or woman) and made a child, that is NOT for some OTHER man (or woman) to take care of. (unless your adopting) I can't believe the GALL of people who think some poor guy who doesn't know his girlfriend or wife delivered some other man's spawn and called it his, should be made to pay for it if the truth comes to light. Find the real father and let HIM take care of it. You know the cheating b--tch probably has a real good idea who it is.

You talk about keeping the family together, and doing things "for the sake of the child". But let me ask you this. How many men could find out that their wife slept with some dude at work, and had his baby..and then raise that baby, in his home, as his own? WITHOUT TREATING THAT CHILD ANY DIFFERENTLY? Yeah, we should all only think of the child's feelings, blah blah blah. But see how that works in real life.

I think its a cop out to allow that mother, and the real baby's daddy to not have to face up to the choices and decisions (good or bad) they have made.
+10. People are really naive to think that men want to spend their hard-earned money and resources that he's accumulated over his lifetime on a kid that's not his genetic progeny (particularly if he was tricked into it). Men FEAR being "cuckolded", that is humiliating

Old 03-18-2010, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post
Trying to imagine how that conversation would go down between a husband and wife...and I can't.

"Honey, wouldn't it be fun if we..."
"Honey, maybe we should..."
"Honey, how about we..."
"Honey, you know when you were out of town..."
"Honey, maybe your friend living with us wasn't the best idea..."
"Honey, that wasn't really a prowler you nearly caught that night..."
"Honey, feel like making a little wager?"

Naaah...
Maybe just offer it to the dad in secret LoL

Old 03-18-2010, 12:37 PM

36,499 posts, read 30,837,764 times
Quote:
People are really naive to think that men want to spend their hard-earned money and resources that he's accumulated over his lifetime on a kid that's not his genetic progeny (particularly if he was tricked into it). Men FEAR being "cuckolded", that is humiliating
Yes. To some men and women love transcends DNA and pride.

Old 03-18-2010, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Yes. To some men and women love transcends DNA and pride.
A very small number of people indeed

Old 03-19-2010, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycanmaster View Post
A very small number of people indeed

Dont know about that. I believe there are lots of people out there capable of unconditional love. If that were not ture you would not have adoption, foster care and blended families.

Old 03-19-2010, 09:56 AM

4,050 posts, read 3,958,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I don't see why it matters. It used to be that the legal husband of a woman was the lawful father of any children born during the marriage. What's wrong with that? If there was no legal marriage in effect, then fatherhood was worked out amicably between the mother and whatever boyfriend was willing to be the father, or else had no father. Paternity tests have created a lot more problems than they've solved.
It matters because if my wife cheated and had another man's child, why should I be financially obligated to supprt that child.

I agree the cost would be high but I would also be willing to bet their would be some loud cursing matchs across America's maternity wards!!

Old 03-19-2010, 11:39 AM

Quote:
It matters because if my wife cheated and had another man's child, why should I be financially obligated to supprt that child.
Because being her husband, you are by default the father of her children conceived during the marriage. It may not seem right but if you dont want to accept that responsibility, dont marry.

Old 03-19-2010, 12:23 PM

3,486 posts, read 5,683,167 times
Well, okay, I'll bite. There is a whole lot of constitutional issues, as well as purely practical issues here that those overly concerned with cheating women aren't appreciating.

First of all, I want to put a certain recurring misconception to rest. I realize femininity is a bottomless well of mystery to some, but let me assure you here and now that women don't possess evil superpowers. We really don't. If a woman has regular intercourse with two or more men and gets pregnant, she has no way of knowing who impregnated her. If a woman has a one-time sexual indiscretion and gets pregnant during a period when she also has sex with her husband every night, she would be safe in assuming the child is her husband's. And inasmuch as fraud incorporates and element of intent, there can be no talk of "paternity fraud" where the woman simply doesn't know.

As to the mandatory testing itself: Who will pay for it? Insurance companies definitely won't, since a DNA test isn't medically necessary in this situation. Should the patients pay out of pocket? What about poor patients who can't afford it? Should the hospital absorb the cost? How will you make sure that this cost does not get passed on to other patients? The taxpayers? Well, I certainly don't want my tax money to go towards exposing people's private marital problems. It's none of my business and none of the government's - and I think I'm not alone here.

What do you do with people who refuse to submit to the test? Force them? Generally, you cannot compel the production of bodily fluids and tissues in the absence of independent evidence that a crime has been committed. Are you going to criminalize adultery? Yes, I know, some states still have those medieval statutes on the books, but none of them treats every pregnant woman as a presumptive criminal. Because that's what you'll need to do in this case, and regardless of how resentful you feel towards the female sex, that's just not something that society will accept.

Old 03-19-2010, 12:34 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,941,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redisca View Post
Well, okay, I'll bite. There is a whole lot of constitutional issues,
Marital and domestic relationships are not constitutional issues. The Constitution addresses only the relationship between the people and their government. And the power of the government to involve itself in the affairs of private citizens is severely curtailed, and that's what the Bill of Rights is all about---the rights that the government does NOT have.

This becomes a constitution issue only when somebody talks about every father and child having mandatory DNA testing, and that would be about as unconstitutional as it gets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates