Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 10:03 PM

122 posts, read 202,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
We'd have a lot more "domestic stability" in this country if people would learn to look the other way when a partner has an indiscretion.

Domestic stability is when one partner pats the wandering one on the shoulder and says "That's alright, Dear, we still love each other and we have wonderful children, and that's what counts". I don't understand why people who love each other can't find a way to do that.
domestic stability is when someone has the strength to say they're not happy instead of being unfaithful or not being in a committed relationship in the first place because they have no desire to be faithful. but i guess you think your way sounds better because that's exactly what we need, right?? a zero accountablity society ?? right...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2010, 10:19 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,310,746 times
you sound stupid. if a man wants to care for a child he did not father even after the knowledge is obtained that he is not biologically the child's father or willing adopts the children of his partner, then more power to him, but say that a man who was named a father to a child under false pretenses (extra-marital affair, paternity fraud, etc.) should be held responsible against his will is absurd. if you can't understand that some men have a hard time dealing with the emotional anguish of knowing that your child is not only NOT your child, but was created by a relationship outside of yours and your partner, then that's your own fault.

.................................................. .................................................

Its about the child, not so much about you. A man who marries under these circumstances as least knows his wife is pregnant. Or, he makes a decision to remain married after she is pregnant. All I hear in this line of posts is "poor me, poor little me".

If there is a man out there who could abandon a child after developing a relationship with that child because he learns he is not the biological father than he is frightening specimen of humanity. Family is about more than just biology.

IMO, we'd be better off if men like that jumped off a cliff. They are a waste of oxygen.

Old 03-14-2010, 10:25 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,011,512 times
Its about the child, not so much about you. A man who marries under these circumstances as least knows his wife is pregnant. Or, he makes a decision to remain married after she is pregnant. All I hear in this line of posts is "poor me, poor little me".

If there is a man out there who could abandon a child after developing a relationship with that child because he learns he is not the biological father than he is frightening specimen of humanity. Family is about more than just biology.

IMO, we'd be better off if men like that jumped off a cliff. They are a waste of oxygen.[/quote]

Nah, I just won't pay. Feel free to pick up the tab for me

Old 03-14-2010, 10:51 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOWN_REPRESENTA View Post
domestic stability is when someone has the strength to say they're not happy instead of being unfaithful or not being in a committed relationship in the first place because they have no desire to be faithful. but i guess you think your way sounds better because that's exactly what we need, right?? a zero accountablity society ?? right...
No, not right. Absolutely and totally wrong. It is perfectly possible for a person happy in a marriage to have an affair. The two are not mutually exclusive. It is perfectly stupid for a person to leave a marriage and destroy a family because of a passing indiscretion.

Somewhere between zero accountability and total accountability is the entire universe, consisting (with the notable exception of yourself) of imperfect people making mistakes, and making amends for them and getting on with their lives, with some concern for somebody else besides their proud narcissistic egotistic selves.

Old 03-14-2010, 11:04 PM

Quote:
No, not right. Absolutely and totally wrong. It is perfectly possible for a person happy in a marriage to have an affair. The two are not mutually exclusive. It is perfectly stupid for a person to leave a marriage and destroy a family because of a passing indiscretion.

Somewhere between zero accountability and total accountability is the entire universe, consisting (with the notable exception of yourself) of imperfect people making mistakes, and making amends for them and getting on with their lives, with some concern for somebody else besides their proud narcissistic egotistic selves.
so men who have been taking care of children they believed were fathered by them should just suck it up and stop being so proud??

Old 03-15-2010, 06:35 AM

1,895 posts, read 5,902,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin_kernel View Post
Well it becomes my problem when my taxes are being used to support fatherless kids.
Then perhaps you should be suggesting more effective measures for collecting delinquent child support from deadbeat parents, rather than this idea of testing. You can test all you want, but validating paternity will not increase the number of parents that actually pay child support for their children, nor will it decrease the number of parents that have to rely on welfare.

Old 03-15-2010, 06:36 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOWN_REPRESENTA View Post
so men who have been taking care of children they believed were fathered by them should just suck it up and stop being so proud??
Proud that they are loving fathers and husbands and domestic providers? Yes. Proud that they can produce sperm on demand? Anybody can do that.

Old 03-15-2010, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Proud that they are loving fathers and husbands and domestic providers? Yes. Proud that they can produce sperm on demand? Anybody can do that.
that is the most naive statement i've ever read or heard. i can't think of one man i know that would be ok with building a family based on lies and deceit. if a man wants to stick around and do so under those conditions or financially support the child from afar, then that's his choice, but he shouldn't be forced to by the gov't. i actually know a couple of men who were duped by lying, cheating women. one stayed because their youngest is his, but not the oldest. the other guy left her and has been an emotional wreck ever since. its sad that we live in a country that dogs men all day for their transgressions, but are completely unable to hold womens' feet to the fire for anything.

Old 03-15-2010, 10:37 AM

541 posts, read 1,340,882 times
the way it is now,it is ok..if a man wants to cheque on it,he should and he has this possibility nowadays...but to put all the newborns under test is a very stupid idea,in fact has no logic such a statement and does not even work...and puting all the new born under the test,is putting all the mothers under the question..stupid,stupid,stupid...

Old 03-15-2010, 10:46 AM

324 posts, read 573,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin_kernel View Post
Why aren't all newborns given a paternity test?
I was thinking that a paternity test at birth would solve all this *who is your daddy* nonsense family court has to deal with. It sure would save a lot of money and time. So why aren't all newborns given a paternity test???
Are you assuming, that all women are whores?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates