Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2009, 06:41 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,678,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
What these young White kids are emulating is not "Black" culture or "Latin" culture but the hip hop culture.

Since when is a genre of music or style of dress exclusively designated for one race?

I am trying to be something that I'm not if I decide that I want to learn to cook paella or try to learn flamenco? Is a White person trying to be someone else if they eat sushi and learn to speak Japanese? If an Asian person enjoys jazz or the blues, are they trying to be another race?
Mixed reviews here buddy...

I'm not betraying anything if I, a white guy, eat at the HuHot Mongolian Grill.

However, it really is true that many genres of music have racial & cultural roots. Classical Music didn't originate in Africa, nor did HipHop and R&B come from England. Jazz has its roots in the southern black culture of the United States.

Of course, anybody is free to listen to any kind of music they want.

Old 06-26-2009, 07:18 AM

2,007 posts, read 6,831,588 times
It's the sick way our society here in America has evolved. I hate to see the way minorities are growing. When they get to th top of the pecking order here, who is going to pay the bills for America? I'm sure not them.

Old 06-26-2009, 01:56 PM

199 posts, read 653,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowwalker View Post
It's the sick way our society here in America has evolved. I hate to see the way minorities are growing. When they get to th top of the pecking order here, who is going to pay the bills for America? I'm sure not them.
Wow! Booooooooooooo

Old 06-26-2009, 09:23 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,628,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
What these young White kids are emulating is not "Black" culture or "Latin" culture but the hip hop culture.

Since when is a genre of music or style of dress exclusively designated for one race?

I am trying to be something that I'm not if I decide that I want to learn to cook paella or try to learn flamenco? Is a White person trying to be someone else if they eat sushi and learn to speak Japanese? If an Asian person enjoys jazz or the blues, are they trying to be another race?
Hip hop started as a BLACK phenomena. Just like rap, 'gangstah' music (the latter being the main focus of my post) the style of dress, the slang talk etc. Since when does learning Flamenco involve acting like a thug talking like an idiot, and 'bustin' caps YO? My position stands. Hip Hop is a genre of music and nothing more? Then why do YOU describe it as a "culture" then? Maybe because it is? And one that evolved from a certain race of folks as well? Hey, it's their thing. I'm fine with it, however I find it distasteful when people who have no clue as to the CULTURE behind it try and emulate it simply because they think it's "cool". Learning a foriegn laguage or art form is one thing, thats a furtherance of knowledge and education. I don't see white kids acting like black gangbangers being anything of the kind.

Old 06-27-2009, 04:34 AM

416 posts, read 407,887 times
I'm white and I believe that my race is the biggest bunch of racists that ever walked this Earth. However, another 1000 years of Muslims calling us "infidels" will put them as the racists.

Old 06-27-2009, 04:35 AM

2,536 posts, read 9,930,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I'm proud to be Y-DNA Haplogroup G, one of the last stragglers to come out of Africa. And mtDNA Haplogroup J---most Europeans are H. So I'm proud of my minority status.
...and I'm a proud carrier of Melanocortin-1 receptor.

Old 06-27-2009, 07:07 AM

304 posts, read 904,620 times
Quote:
I'm proud to be Y-DNA Haplogroup G, one of the last stragglers to come out of Africa. And mtDNA Haplogroup J---most Europeans are H. So I'm proud of my minority status.
OMG - THANK YOU FOR THAT!

Old 07-07-2009, 10:03 AM

1,257 posts, read 3,433,515 times
Quote:
One thing that always strikes me when I am traveling in the third world---how ugly European women are. Compared to the Asians, Africans and South Americans, the women from European countries have lousy complexions, stringy hair, poor posture, heavy gait, clumsy gestures, they're overweight, they dress frumpy and look ridiculous when they try to wear native dress.
----

What part of Europe are you talking about?
Are you sure that you like women?

Old 07-07-2009, 10:17 AM

1,257 posts, read 3,433,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinolala View Post
Being white is not a culture. There are tons of white in the U.S. that have no idea what their heritage is. They know they're white. I'm white. My culture is not bluegrass, coal mining, farming, etc. My culture is where my grandparents are from (Europe). My family is bilingual. My grandparents came to this country for opportunities. For work. They grew to love baseball, apple pie and all that. I'm thankful that I'm white because I think it's still a benefit to be White in this country. But I have no ties to Plymouth Rock, Appalachia or the West. My family hasn't been here 100 years. We still cling to our "ethnic" traditions, which are White, but European. Being a family of immigrants, albeit white immigrants. I completely understand why people from other countries risk their lives to move here. For opportunities, just like my grandparents. If you're white, your forefathers came from somewhere else too. So if the Puerto Ricans wants to drive through my city, as they did last week with huge Puerto Ricans flags, so be it. Erasing one's heritage should not be a prerequisite upon moving to the U.S. I think many U.S. born Americans are bothered by it only because they don't know what their heritage is. Chances are if your name is something like Michael McGrath and your family has been here over 100 years. you're probably Scotch-Irish, as is a lot of the U.S. South. So learn about those countries because that's what's in your DNA.

----------

You're entirely right. Here in Europe there's no country and there's no people called "White". That "White" stuff comes from a Colonial and archaic frame of mind.

If you are racially white but you don't know the language, history and culture of your people, and your great-great-great-great granparents were stripped of their identity just to adopt a general "American" culture, what's the difference between a remote descendant of German-Irish-Italian-Polish immigrants and a remote descendants of Japanese or Mexican immigrants that assimilated the same culture ages ago?

The fact that the US still remains segregated is a measure of weakness. Even Mexicans are better at that since they forged a nation based on the bloodshed provoked by the confrontation of two cultures and the ensuing ppopoluation, the "Mexican".

Until the US does not produce an "American", not a Black American, not a Hispanic, not Asian American, that country will be weak and not mature.

Last edited by Leovigildo; 07-07-2009 at 10:25 AM..

Old 07-07-2009, 10:43 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,628,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leovigildo View Post
----------

You're entirely right. Here in Europe there's no country and there's no people called "White". That "White" stuff comes from a Colonial and archaic frame of mind.

If you are racially white but you don't know the language, history and culture of your people, and your great-great-great-great granparents were stripped of their identity just to adopt a general "American" culture, what's the difference between a remote descendant of German-Irish-Italian-Polish immigrants and a remote descendants of Japanese or Mexican immigrants that assimilated the same culture ages ago?

The fact that the US still remains segregated is a measure of weakness. Even Mexicans are better at that since they forged a nation based on the bloodshed provoked by the confrontation of two cultures and the ensuing ppopoluation, the "Mexican".

Until the US does not produce an "American", not a Black American, not a Hispanic, not Asian American, that country will be weak and not mature.
OK then....I can accept this. Well put. However, if you look at the history of the US , in terms of immigration and assimilation of varying culture, you will see that foriegn immigrants segregated themselves as much as they were segregated by the 'existing' culture. NYC was a hotly contested 'turf' for two particular immigrant groups. The Irish and the Italians. And still is to this day. The same situation applies to many other immigrant groups, though the schism is less well known. Asians, Hispanics,Middle Easterners, Indians, all have 'separate' communities. True integration has never happened here, for whatever reasons. To me, the reason for it is irrelevant, it exists, therefore it is. Were we ever to truly unite as one nation, and discard ethnic lines, we could truly be an honest 'superpower'. But that begs the question...what IS 'American' culture? What is the thing that all ethnic groups in this country have in common that can truly unite us and set aside ethnic disparities? Any thoughts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates