Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 07:19 PM

341 posts, read 689,291 times

Advertisements

How come you can be proud to be Asian
Hispanic
Black
Gay
But if you're proud to be white you are considered prejudice.
How come if your Asian,Black,Hispanic and you want your children to marry within their own race you are considered proud, but if you're white and want your child to marry another white you are considered prejudice?

Old 06-09-2009, 07:37 PM

2,008 posts, read 3,327,851 times
Because historicly speaking, every time there has been white pride it has been in groups like the clan or nazi's. Thus the credibility of white pride was blown long ago.

Old 06-09-2009, 07:51 PM

25,770 posts, read 18,834,175 times
Every era needs a scapegoat.

Old 06-09-2009, 08:01 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,877,697 times
I think wihites are pround they just don't need to pond in the point. Its like that tell some kids they are special because they have low self esteem to be honest.

Old 06-09-2009, 08:10 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,761,637 times
I guess it is not necessary because whites are the ones credited with much of the innovation, and modern technology. White people include the world's most physically attractive as well. Even other races improve their looks when mixed with whites. Being proud is so silly though. We all live and die- white or not we end up in the ground so who cares.

Old 06-09-2009, 08:18 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,538,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4beanie View Post
How come you can be proud to be Asian
Hispanic
Black
Gay
But if you're proud to be white you are considered prejudice.
How come if your Asian,Black,Hispanic and you want your children to marry within their own race you are considered proud, but if you're white and want your child to marry another white you are considered prejudice?
I have no problem with White people being proud of their heritage. There is no joy in watching White people being hyper-apologetic about their existence. No problem with White people having a preference for their children to marry within their own race.

With that being said, White people do not have to fight against negative stereotypes about their own group...there is NO struggle of having an identity of Whiteness.

The problem comes when the "pride" of being White turns into anti-everyone who is not...or White supremacy. That line is typically crossed by those who pretend to profess White pride but are really attempting to harm others who are not White.

Old 06-09-2009, 08:20 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,014,195 times
I'm proud to be Y-DNA Haplogroup G, one of the last stragglers to come out of Africa. And mtDNA Haplogroup J---most Europeans are H. So I'm proud of my minority status.

Old 06-09-2009, 08:29 PM

3,007 posts, read 6,290,008 times
of course it is, but it is apples and oranges. There have always been strong associations with ones roots...but those roots have been along cultural and nationalistic lines than racial. Swedish-Americans, German-Americans, Irish-Americans, Daughters of the American Revolution, etc. Then come the Italian Americans who were not exactly accepted into many social circles, even today, and as a result developed a very strong and separate community.

The White movement began to coalesce not in any organic sense, but in response to opposition to Blacks and now to coalitions of racial minorities, such as self-identity of People of Colour. And there is now growing involvement as a response to the recent and massive immigration waves from Latin America.

Different racial minorities have often seen greater strength and political power in numbers and felt compelled to shed their very strong loyalties to their own cultural/national identities for power in numbers. See this as the pushing back against the pendulum.

Should such coalitions now gain too much strength and momentum and focus, where all European identities plus African Whites and Oceania Whites feel the need to band to themselves push back, then it should not surprise that more Whites might be seeing themselves as White first and XXX second.

Personally, I think this is healthy and predictable. You need both sides pushing at equal strength for the pendulum to stop swinging. My White friends who have had no part in the terrible injustices of the past now feel hemmed in with no outlet. While they can handle this with dignity, others do so with rage. How can this be healthy? People need to voice their pains and pressures--get it out in the open. We see none of this in today's racial debates. As such, the discussions are dominated by extremists and rather cartoonish characters.

So when this tug of war is at a standstill, perhaps then America can move forward as a collection of Americans. Perhaps then we can finally move out from under the clouds of racial balkanization that serve only to weaken us as a country.

S.

Old 06-09-2009, 08:41 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,493,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I think whites are proud they just don't need to pond in the point. Its like that tell some kids they are special because they have low self esteem to be honest.
That's exactly it! I am happy and thankfull I was born white. I don't have to tell anybody about it.

Old 06-09-2009, 08:47 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,117,418 times
What does pride in your race do for you?
Does it boost your ego?
Help with insecurities?
Does it make you somehow better than another race?

Its not like any of us accomplished something to become the race we are.
We all just ended up being the race we are, not good not bad.
Seems to me pride in our separate races just separates us more.
Were all just the human race with some color variations.

Well, that’s my outlook on it anyway.

Cheers,
Aeroman
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates