Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2009, 01:47 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,681,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by senalj View Post
Why are all of the people "accidentally" shot by the NYPD or LAPD minorities? How can 10% of the American population make up 90% of the prisons? Why is the SAT, used to gauge college entrance, easier for white students than for minorities? It's because the people with all the power (white people) are making the rules and are the standard everyone else is compared to. If it looks like a minority is getting ahead, they just have to change the rules to make sure not too many get ahead. If that weren't the case, Americans of African descent would be further along than they are. Jim Crow laws were abolished in the 1960s. It took 100 years (slavery was promised to be abolished by Lincoln in his Emancipation Proclamation of January 1863) for a group of people, who are just as much American as any white person, to get almost equal right. I say almost, because minorities are still fighting, to this day, to gain some equality in America. Why should a group of people have to fight so hard to earn a place in a society that was built on the backs, blood, sweat and tears of their ancestors? And what hope do other minorities have, who come to America with their cultures, languages and customs intact? Americans of African descent are the most assimilated group one can find in America and they still aren't accepted. Why not? I think it's because they're a reminder to white Americans of the abominations perpetrated by their ancestors.
Is there going to come a time when you stop fighting for your rights, and simply start pursuing the overwhelming number of wonderful opportunities that are already there?

That will, mind you, require moving beyond racism - part of which is blaming "all those white Americans" for everything.

Old 06-12-2009, 03:52 AM

403 posts, read 1,190,465 times
LOL @ whites controlling everything and still not being satisfied.

Old 06-12-2009, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nauticadon View Post
LOL @ whites controlling everything and still not being satisfied.
Well... I'll have you know that I'm on a quest for world domination!

Old 06-12-2009, 05:48 AM

366 posts, read 1,186,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marylee54 View Post
We adopted two white children (and we're white)

Everyone just assumed when we said we were adopting we would get a child other than white, probably black, hispanic, oriental, anything other than white.

When we introduced our new family many people were surprised and somewhat confused. We were also attacked and criticized for our choice. We simply wanted to adopt within our own race, but that was used as a basis to accuse us of racism. I chose to marry a white man, so I guess that made me racist?

We actually lost many "friends" after our adoption, they were uncomfortable with our 'racist" decision.

I've found its ok to be white as long as you apologize for it.

And, to address the issue of adoption, yes, there are many children needing adoption, of all races. I refuse to discuss the choice issue with anyone unless they have adopted at least one child of any race. At least I gave a home to 2 abused, abandonded, neglected children. What have they done but criticize my efforts?It was stating this very sentiment that lost us 2 "friends" who, to this day, haven't adopted anything, unless you consider 2 dogs they got last year.....
This post is rather .
It just sounds sketchy. Sorry.

Old 06-12-2009, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west_end_don View Post
This post is rather .
I'm not sure why it's so questionable to so many people. Do couples seeking to adopt a baby/child have no right to have a racial preference? It doesn't necessarily have to be a bigoted thing.

I'm married to a beautiful woman, who happens to be white - as am I. And though I'm not in the market, I find myself not particularly drawn to black ladies in that "buzz that leads to marriage love" sort of way. I don't think it's because I'm some sort of bigot, but a simple matter of preference.

Preferring one thing doesn't necessarily mean we're hatefully prejudiced against something else.

Old 06-12-2009, 07:44 AM

1,094 posts, read 2,465,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Is there going to come a time when you stop fighting for your rights, and simply start pursuing the overwhelming number of wonderful opportunities that are already there?

That will, mind you, require moving beyond racism - part of which is blaming "all those white Americans" for everything.
I think Americans of African descent can "move beyond racism" when they aren't faced with it everyday. No one wants to be blamed for racism, but it exists and whites want to deny that, which is to deny true feelings and experiences of humans who have lived in America for centuries. One must fight for what isn't given and rights to minorities in this country aren't given. Current issues: Countrywide giving higher mortgage loan interest rates to Americans of African descent, even though they had the credit scores to qualify for the lower rates given to their white counterparts. Allstate charging Americans of African descent more money for the same insurance policies as their white counterparts. Americans of African descent are sent to the penitentiary for drug-related crimes that garner their white counterparts probation, house arrest or minimal jail time in minimum security or county jails.

So please, tell me what wonderful opportunities are Americans of African descent not taking advantage of? It's easy to see and take advantage of the opportunities when you aren't being held back because of the color of your skin. It's amazing to me that someone would say a group of people, who only know America and consider themselves to be American, aren't taking advantage of what this country has to offer, when the group has had to fight the majority all of their lives and are still behind. Everything a minority gets is dictated by someone in power, which is typically not a minority. Don't think so?

There was a group of Americans of African descent that didn't have running water until last year! Why? Because the white people who ran Zanesville, OH didn't want Americans of African descent to have running water (Making Water a Matter of Race - TIME). A town of white men hunted and killed Americans of African descent in the wake of Hurricane Katrina (In Katrina's wake, white neighborhood 'militia' murdered blacks | Crooks and Liars). After President Obama was elected, there was an increase in crimes against minorities, perpetrated by white people (An increase in hate crimes during election season at Racialicious - the intersection of race and pop culture Racist Incidents Increase in the Wake of Obama's Election on The Louisiana Weekly (http://www.louisianaweekly.com/news.php?viewStory=597 - broken link) Race crimes go up with Obama win, Gun sales increases | NowPublic News Coverage “White Heat”: The Racial Backlash After Obama « A Time for Change). The story of the Jena 6 best illustrates how racism from whites is still accepted even in the 21st century (The Case of the Jena Six: Black High School Students Charged with Attempted Murder for Schoolyard Fight After Nooses Are Hung from Tree). Other than fighting for rights, how do minorities rise above this much hate that is experienced on a daily basis? And I didn't even go into what is going on with the Muslims and Middle Easterners who live in America!

During the election I read an article that said 60% of America is white and of that 60%, 20% have negative or stereotypical views of Americans of African descent. Even in 2008 (the year I read the article) there were still white people who think negatively about Americans of African descent. Don't you see something wrong with that?

Old 06-12-2009, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by senalj View Post
I think Americans of African descent can "move beyond racism" when they aren't faced with it everyday. No one wants to be blamed for racism, but it exists and whites want to deny that, which is to deny true feelings and experiences of humans who have lived in America for centuries. One must fight for what isn't given and rights to minorities in this country aren't given. Current issues: Countrywide giving higher mortgage loan interest rates to Americans of African descent, even though they had the credit scores to qualify for the lower rates given to their white counterparts. Allstate charging Americans of African descent more money for the same insurance policies as their white counterparts. Americans of African descent are sent to the penitentiary for drug-related crimes that garner their white counterparts probation, house arrest or minimal jail time in minimum security or county jails.

So please, tell me what wonderful opportunities are Americans of African descent not taking advantage of? It's easy to see and take advantage of the opportunities when you aren't being held back because of the color of your skin. It's amazing to me that someone would say a group of people, who only know America and consider themselves to be American, aren't taking advantage of what this country has to offer, when the group has had to fight the majority all of their lives and are still behind. Everything a minority gets is dictated by someone in power, which is typically not a minority. Don't think so?

There was a group of Americans of African descent that didn't have running water until last year! Why? Because the white people who ran Zanesville, OH didn't want Americans of African descent to have running water (Making Water a Matter of Race - TIME). A town of white men hunted and killed Americans of African descent in the wake of Hurricane Katrina (In Katrina's wake, white neighborhood 'militia' murdered blacks | Crooks and Liars). After President Obama was elected, there was an increase in crimes against minorities, perpetrated by white people (An increase in hate crimes during election season at Racialicious - the intersection of race and pop culture Racist Incidents Increase in the Wake of Obama's Election on The Louisiana Weekly (http://www.louisianaweekly.com/news.php?viewStory=597 - broken link) Race crimes go up with Obama win, Gun sales increases | NowPublic News Coverage “White Heat”: The Racial Backlash After Obama « A Time for Change). The story of the Jena 6 best illustrates how racism from whites is still accepted even in the 21st century (The Case of the Jena Six: Black High School Students Charged with Attempted Murder for Schoolyard Fight After Nooses Are Hung from Tree). Other than fighting for rights, how do minorities rise above this much hate that is experienced on a daily basis? And I didn't even go into what is going on with the Muslims and Middle Easterners who live in America!

During the election I read an article that said 60% of America is white and of that 60%, 20% have negative or stereotypical views of Americans of African descent. Even in 2008 (the year I read the article) there were still white people who think negatively about Americans of African descent. Don't you see something wrong with that?
First of all, it is pretty obvious that you think only white people can be racists. You are wrong, and you need to move beyond that assumption.

Second, I'd like you to show me what jobs blacks are now being denied, solely because you're black.

Third, it's long-since past time for the black community to stop making excuses for black on black crime (not black on white, or vice versa). Black on black crime accounts for the vast majority of criminal activity among blacks. Also, though blacks comprise less than 13% of the general population, there is an overwhelming majority of blacks who make up our prison population - and you ABSOLUTELY CANNOT blame all of that on racism. Part of it? Yes, absolutely. All of it? Absolutely not!

Fourth, it might interest you to know that I live in an mid-upper middle class neighborhood that is almost entirely black. My wife and I are very much in the minority here. And here's the deal... We love it here, and have fantastic neighbors - almost all of whom are black. Excellent people!

So what's the difference between my black neighbors, and some of their relatives who still live in "the hood" or in prison? Two things: Attitude and Choices. You'll have two brothers - one of whom is very successful and the other a career criminal. How can it be racial discrimination that's making the difference?

Is racial bigotry alive and well in America today? Yep, you better believe it. But it comes from people of all races. And frankly, there are some black people who desperately need to look in the mirror when they're doing their best to see racial bigotry.

Old 06-12-2009, 08:14 AM

12,963 posts, read 13,679,366 times
White Homecoming Queen at Historically Black College
Check out the Article
Kentucky State University is an HBCU which lies next to my heart. My sister, who just finished medical school, spent her undergraduate career there, so I was kept in the loop when the world seemed to flip on its head regarding who the students chose to hold the title of Miss Kentucky State University. As you can see, she’s not exactly what one would expect an HBCU Homecoming Queen to look like, but Elisabeth Martin’s skin color likely reflects one of the many faces that define Historically Black colleges in the new millennium. So, while I was personally dismayed that Kentucky State University (along with many HBCUs around the nation) seems to be forgetting about the importance of having African American faculty, the truth is that we are in an era in which one needs to determine what it means to be an HBCU.
Personally, I love the fact that the students at Kentucky State chose Elisabeth Martin as their homecoming queen. Martin, a 21-year old International Studies major, won the crown by a landslide, dominating the competition. It has been her race, however, that has sent shock waves through the Kentucky State University community. But Martin takes the heat in stride and carries herself with a grace and class that should make the campus proud. The fact that the students love her so much is verified by her love for the campus and commitment to school spirit. She has also handled the national media attention like a true queen should.
AOL Black Voices had the chance to catch up with Elisabeth Martin:

Old 06-12-2009, 08:16 AM

366 posts, read 1,186,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
I'm not sure why it's so questionable to so many people. Do couples seeking to adopt a baby/child have no right to have a racial preference? It doesn't necessarily have to be a bigoted thing.

I'm married to a beautiful woman, who happens to be white - as am I. And though I'm not in the market, I find myself not particularly drawn to black ladies in that "buzz that leads to marriage love" sort of way. I don't think it's because I'm some sort of bigot, but a simple matter of preference.

Preferring one thing doesn't necessarily mean we're hatefully prejudiced against something else.

Omaha - I think you misunderstood my post.
If your white, and prefer to date and marry white its 100% fine. It does not make you a racist in any-way shape or form.
If you and your spouse chose to adopt white children, again, it's 100% ok.
I don't know why you’re so defensive about it...

I simply was calling BS on the post by the white lady saying that she was attacked and accused of being racist for simply adopting white kids. That sounds total 100% BS to me.

Old 06-12-2009, 08:25 AM

199 posts, read 653,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west_end_don View Post
This post is rather .
I Agree with you...... I highly doubt this is true...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates