Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 08:32 PM

613 posts, read 1,270,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Making it legal won't stamp out the cartels either. They'll continue to sell drugs, they'll just sell it cheaper, or in stronger (unregulated) doses. Look at cigarettes, they're legal in all states, yet there is still a black market for them to get them at cheaper prices.
Even if the cartels found away to gaurentee better quality and price at street level then that in the regulated drug stores(which would be almost impossible because of the number of levels of people it goes through that need to profit) the loss of buisness just because drug users wouldnt have to risk getting robbed or ripped off would cripple them. Sure they might linger but there would be no way to support these large organizations for an extended period of time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 10:03 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
Let's legalize ALL the illegal mind-altering substances out there. make them available over the counter in any drugstore, in any strength. Hear me out. It is now up to you whether you are going to get yourself in trouble using.
I came to the same conclusion myself, so I'm certainly not going to rant and rave about what a horrible plan this would be. Quite the contrary, it places the burden of responsibility squarely upon the individual--where it should have been in the first place.

Now everything is much simpler. You want to throw your life away by overindulging in drugs? Go right ahead--nobody's going to stand in your way. It's your decision and yours alone. And since the stuff is legal, illegal drug trafficking becomes a thing of the past. Maybe some of the big drug cartels will have to find other markets besides the United States!

Old 03-19-2009, 01:10 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,762,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
I only disagree on Heroin...simply because it causes pretty permanent damage right off the bat to the brain requiring methadone or replacement. No real second chances.
Most people get clean with drug-free treatment. They definitely don't need methadone after brief abuse of heroin, as you seem to be saying here.

Old 03-19-2009, 01:55 PM

3,089 posts, read 8,510,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
I came to the same conclusion myself, so I'm certainly not going to rant and rave about what a horrible plan this would be. Quite the contrary, it places the burden of responsibility squarely upon the individual--where it should have been in the first place.

Now everything is much simpler. You want to throw your life away by overindulging in drugs? Go right ahead--nobody's going to stand in your way. It's your decision and yours alone. And since the stuff is legal, illegal drug trafficking becomes a thing of the past. Maybe some of the big drug cartels will have to find other markets besides the United States!

The amount of money spent on drugs could of given America a solid transportation system. It is just saddening.

Old 03-19-2009, 02:23 PM

659 posts, read 1,085,513 times
Quote:
The only problem with that is you have innocent people who are going to be victims of that behavior. Let's say a train conductor is high on LSD, because he had a right to buy it, use it and pay the consequences if he screws up. Only problem is, when he screws up, hundreds of people lose their lives. Laws are put into place to protect people from themselves and others. We have enough problems with people getting killed from stuff that is legal, like alcohol and prescription meds, no need to further enable the weak to inflict careless injury or death to others.
And why would it be any different than showing up to work drunk? It's very easy to tell if someone is tripping (seriously, have you ever seen anyone on LSD, wierd!). It should be the same way with drugs. It's a flaw in logic to think that just because someone can buy said drug that they will be able to come to work on said drug and not be fired for it.

Quote:
True, but again, why open ourselves up to further vulnerability? There's a lot of dangerous stuff out there, do we really need more people out there with dependency problems and substance abuse issues? There is a large section of society that has proven it cannot be trusted to act responsibly (prisons, institutions and cemetaries are full of them), why would we want to introduce dangerous narcotics into mainstream society? What good will come of it?
The drugs are already there (and freely available). Haven't you noticed that non violent drug users who go to prison get out and are hardened drug pushers after that? Doesn't that alarm you? If our prison system were indeed working, then why is their so much drug trafficing in said prisons? Why do heroin addicts go in and come out even more hooked on before they went to prison?

Old 03-19-2009, 02:59 PM

Quote:
The only problem with that is you have innocent people who are going to be victims of that behavior. Let's say a train conductor is high on LSD, because he had a right to buy it, use it and pay the consequences if he screws up. Only problem is, when he screws up, hundreds of people lose their lives. Laws are put into place to protect people from themselves and others. We have enough problems with people getting killed from stuff that is legal, like alcohol and prescription meds, no need to further enable the weak to inflict careless injury or death to others.
Well, my proposal makes it perfectly legal to get blasted, and hurt or kill yourself...but breathtakingly illegal to hurt or endanger someone else.

Old 03-19-2009, 03:40 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kb09 View Post
It's a flaw in logic to think that just because someone can buy said drug that they will be able to come to work on said drug and not be fired for it.
This is true. I work for a company that conducts random tests. If you come up "dirty" twice, you automatically go into a rehab program. If it happens a third time, you're fired. There is no mention of the word "illegal." You can't be on drugs and at work, plain and simple.

Old 03-20-2009, 04:48 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,859,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
Here's a hot proposition. I want to wipe out all the gray areas in chemical dependency -- is it a crime? is it a disease? should it be illegal or should it be treated? how far should we go in helping these people?

Let's legalize ALL the illegal mind-altering substances out there. make them available over the counter in any drugstore, in any strength. Hear me out. It is now up to you whether you are going to get yourself in trouble using. If you use anything in such a way that allows or causes someone else to get hurt, there's no dinkweeding around with court-ordered treatment or declaring you the victim of a disease. You'll be cooling your heels in the nearest prison, as if you had pulled a gun on a cop in front of witnesses while stone sober. Stop treating drunk drivers as victims of a chemical imbalance and slam them in prison the very first time they get caught driving under the influence. They can never own a car or drive a vehicle again. Period. Meanwhile, if you want to drink yourself to death, go right ahead. Nobody will have the right to stop you. Just don't hurt anyone else. And no, you will not be given a new liver if you destroy the old one.

You want substance abuse treatment? It's out there, and it's free for everyone. No matter how long you stay in treatment, and actually work towards the goal of being clean and sober, you will not lose your job (unless you were caught using on the job) or your insurance benefits (ditto). There will be NO court-ordered treatment, and if the intake screening reveals that you're checking yourself in somewhere just to get your mom or your boss off your back, you'll be refused service. If you don't really want to be clean, you can go hang.

Protection of the rights of criminal defendants? Not any more. If you kill someone driving drunk, or rape someone because booze impaired your judgement, or give someone AIDS by sharing a dirty needle with them, the victims and/or their families have the right to kill you any way they want. Germproof suits and fancy weapons will be provided free to these people upon request.

This is radical, I know, but it will save BILLIONS of wasted treatment dollars currently going to court-ordered scofflaws who plan to go out and get blasted again the first chance they get. People will be forced to take responsibility for their own behavior for the first time in decades.

I'm basing this on a statistic I read once, about what happened on Long Island when the ambulance drivers went on strike: medical emergencies dropped by 80%.

Discussion?
I think this makes perfect sense and I fully agree. Perhaps it would alter the sense of responsibility in this country. and women that sqeeze a cup of hot coffee between their legs can be told "too bad" don't be a dumba$$. Then we don't hat to see statements like hot coffee is served hot... why did any judge even hear the case?

btw... when doctors go on strike the death rates fall too... makes you wonder doesnt it?

Old 03-20-2009, 04:54 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,859,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
I only disagree on Heroin...simply because it causes pretty permanent damage right off the bat to the brain requiring methadone or replacement. No real second chances.

Honestly I don't care if they are legal otherwise. If some one is doing drugs and looses everything, that's it...their life is pretty much a waster. Put in help if they quit, but if they are using I hope they like going freegan for their food and bridges for their shelter. They chose it, there is no blame to put else where really (you can say some people who were forced to take it, but after that situation they can quit), and it's not my job to donate my resources when I made the right choices.
Actually, I have met people that have used, given it up and survived to live totally normal lives. I think it has been built to a level of fear as that is how to control the masses. ..and no I don't use any drugs... I think the warnings of death you regularly hear as side effects for the "legal" ones is enough to know they are all poison.
I certainly DO NOT trust the FDA as having our best interest at heart.... remember they were the ones that allowed Searle to use bad science to get Aspartame on the market.... Thank you Don Rumsfeld another fine mess you created.

Old 03-20-2009, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
I think this makes perfect sense and I fully agree. Perhaps it would alter the sense of responsibility in this country. and women that sqeeze a cup of hot coffee between their legs can be told "too bad" don't be a dumba$$. Then we don't hat to see statements like hot coffee is served hot... why did any judge even hear the case?

btw... when doctors go on strike the death rates fall too... makes you wonder doesnt it?
I know a guy whose mom was an attorney in on this case. It was heard in court because all you need for a personal-injury suit in this country is documented harm. I guess she was extremely badly burned and needed months of skin grafts and la de da. Her crotch was never the same. Which makes it actionable.

And no matter how much money Ray Kroc's estate paid to this woman, her crotch was STILL never the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates