Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 09:54 PM

415 posts, read 1,210,229 times

Advertisements

Bills are on the way to Raleigh about legalizing Marijuana in the State and regulating it just like California does!

What could good things could this promote to the public?

Do you think this will have a negative outcome?

What would you expect to happen?

Do you think this will influence other southern states to do the same?

Do you think this will look bad or good on NC behalf?

here are just a few questions i asked myself. posted below are a few articles on the subject.

Bill to legalize marijuana front and center in Raleigh | WWAY NewsChannel 3 | Wilmington NC News

North Carolina Looks Into Marijuana Legalization | Testing It Up – Drug & Health Testing News – Test Country Blog

North Carolina May Legalize Marijuana for Medicinal Purposes : HealthKnowItAll.net (http://healthknowitall.net/drugs/2009/04/15/north-carolina-may-legalize-marijuana-for-medicinal-purposes/ - broken link)

north carolina legalizing marijuana - Google Search
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2009, 10:31 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,328,314 times
People are going to flock to North Carolina, it may influence surrounding states possibly leading to legalization in nearby heavyweight states like Texas and New York, these two may influence even more states to legalize it as well.

Old 10-06-2009, 04:10 AM

351 posts, read 1,069,009 times
It is time for North Carolina to step up to the plate and proof we're the most progressive state in the South, this is overdue.

Old 10-06-2009, 05:40 AM

6,341 posts, read 11,087,268 times
Based upon some research my older sister did when she worked in the health care industry, it seems as though the only reason pot is illegal is because the pharmaceutical companies got laws passed making it against the law to use early in the last decade. Pot has some real medicinal uses and big pharma was losing a lot of business because people were using weed instead of getting hooked on prescription drugs.

Old 10-06-2009, 06:55 AM

444 posts, read 1,143,924 times
Depends on what the limits are. If the state lets marijana become legalized without any obligations, that would prove that the state doesnt care about its people, but its income.

Old 10-06-2009, 07:08 AM

4,576 posts, read 9,160,769 times
Pot is not legal in California unless you have a valid health issue. You can't just go buy it 7-11.

From what I have seen in California, medical pot helps a few and allows the rest to abuse the system.

Most people with these medical cards are perfectly healthy people in their late teens to 30's.

Marijuana culture and drug culture becomes a lot more pervasive and established.

Prices go down. Legal medicinal pot means that the raw supply of marijuana in the state will grow to meet the demand that is already there. Increased supply with a stagnant demand means that pots commodity value will go down meaning people will pay less money for more potency.

Old 10-06-2009, 07:12 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,727,592 times
North Carolina has a long tradition of cultivating tobacco and making moonshine, so pot isn't a huge stretch. We already have decriminalized it. Plus there is a ridiculous amount being grown in western North Carolina already.

Old 10-06-2009, 07:19 AM

415 posts, read 1,210,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
North Carolina has a long tradition of cultivating tobacco and making moonshine, so pot isn't a huge stretch. We already have decriminalized it. Plus there is a ridiculous amount being grown in western North Carolina already.
That i can agree on i have family up there and they can just do it when ever everyone minds thier own busniess and no one cares. it strange!

Old 10-06-2009, 07:35 AM

5,251 posts, read 13,814,516 times
I think the legalization to marijuana is a good thing towards our economy.

I think if Alcohol is legal, than why not weed? The physical effect on alcohol is worst by far compared to the effect caused by marijuana.
I'm not saying weed is a great thing, i just don't get all the police roaming the streets, wasting time and money searching for someone with a bag of weed or a blunt when the drug doesn't really effect other people compared to a drunk roaming the streets in which another person could be in danger. There's far more important things than a high guy over important things like rape, murder, theft, etc.

-We're wasting our tax dollars for something that never really caused too much harm.
-We have so many sellers selling the marijuana cheating tax dollars, when it could just go to the local convenient store so the country as another sin tax to boost our economy in some kind of way.

If i'd take a walk through my city, i'd find little empty weed baggies all over the place, it's already easy to get, overwhelming, and convinient.. why not let the pot heads be pot heads instead of serving these guys crime for hurting only themselves.

Again,
your definitely in a more dangerous situation with a bunch of drunks as opposed to a bunch of high guys.

Last edited by BPerone201; 10-06-2009 at 07:44 AM..

Old 10-06-2009, 07:51 AM

21 posts, read 60,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Based upon some research my older sister did when she worked in the health care industry, it seems as though the only reason pot is illegal is because the pharmaceutical companies got laws passed making it against the law to use early in the last decade. Pot has some real medicinal uses and big pharma was losing a lot of business because people were using weed instead of getting hooked on prescription drugs.
according to my research:
back in the early 1900's henry ford had built a car made predominately out of hemp. the only thing that wasnt was the frame. the hemp industry at that point was BLAZING (yeah, pun intended!). there were WELL over 1000 uses for it. well, the textile and paper industries (including the info from your post) were getting jealous of all the money hemp was making. big names? the hearst paper company was one. they wanted all the money so they bribed agencies to make a ton of propaganda against pot and then it became illegal. what happened? we resorted to trees and cotton and metal, raping the earth of precious resources. hemp grows WAY faster than trees and cotton, and can be used as a great substitute for both. and dont get me started on the cars that run on hemp oil..... serious reform is needed with this issue. it was illegally illegalized and should be immediately overturned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates