Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 10:47 AM

25,758 posts, read 18,826,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulnevrwalkalone View Post
In response to Cliffie I give you a quote from Billy Madison that seems to fit quite well here: "what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."
Speaking of The Inquisition (Italian in this case), isn't your quote part of the transcript to the Inquisitor General's response to Galileo Galilei’s heretical Copernican views of the universe (things like the earth orbiting around the sun and rotating on its axis)???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2009, 01:34 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,786,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
If one wants to kill oneself, there should be no restriction against it.

So yeah, you (I'm using 'you' in a general sense) want to blow your brains out with drugs, have at it. There should be no law against being a moron. But you are also responsible for the consequences of your behavior. That's called free agency. Most people in our modern world don't understand or condone the idea. Basically it means butt-out. People have a real hard time doing that.
The only problem with that is you have innocent people who are going to be victims of that behavior. Let's say a train conductor is high on LSD, because he had a right to buy it, use it and pay the consequences if he screws up. Only problem is, when he screws up, hundreds of people lose their lives. Laws are put into place to protect people from themselves and others. We have enough problems with people getting killed from stuff that is legal, like alcohol and prescription meds, no need to further enable the weak to inflict careless injury or death to others.

Old 03-18-2009, 01:48 PM

567 posts, read 1,446,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
The only problem with that is you have innocent people who are going to be victims of that behavior. Let's say a train conductor is high on LSD, because he had a right to buy it, use it and pay the consequences if he screws up. Only problem is, when he screws up, hundreds of people lose their lives. Laws are put into place to protect people from themselves and others. We have enough problems with people getting killed from stuff that is legal, like alcohol and prescription meds, no need to further enable the weak to inflict careless injury or death to others.
do you know what decriminalization is? its when something is legal, but has certain restrictions (i.e age limit, dwi, working under the influence ect ect). if one shows up to work drunk, do you think his accidents will be less servere than someone on lsd? im sure that same train conductor can get drunk and put many lives in danger too, right? i think thats why they invented drug testing.

Old 03-18-2009, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDK94 View Post
do you know what decriminalization is? its when something is legal, but has certain restrictions (i.e age limit, dwi, working under the influence ect ect). if one shows up to work drunk, do you think his accidents will be less servere than someone on lsd? im sure that same train conductor can get drunk and put many lives in danger too, right? i think thats why they invented drug testing.
True, but again, why open ourselves up to further vulnerability? There's a lot of dangerous stuff out there, do we really need more people out there with dependency problems and substance abuse issues? There is a large section of society that has proven it cannot be trusted to act responsibly (prisons, institutions and cemetaries are full of them), why would we want to introduce dangerous narcotics into mainstream society? What good will come of it?

Old 03-18-2009, 02:28 PM

617 posts, read 2,073,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
I only disagree on Heroin...simply because it causes pretty permanent damage right off the bat to the brain requiring methadone or replacement. No real second chances.
I've debated the topic of legalizing drugs elsewhere in this forum so I won't repeat myself now. However, I will correct this statement.

Heroin does not cause brain damage, permanent or otherwise. In fact, the damage to the heroin user is caused by the fact that the drug is illegal. First, because the drug is illegal, overdose is common due to no standards or impure drugs. Second, the lifestyle of the addict, (trying to obtain the illegal substance, frequenting dangerous places to obtain it, etc.) is what causes the addict to neglect his/her health and to deteriorate.

For more information regarding the truth about heroin, see Effects of opium, morphine, and heroin on addicts

Old 03-18-2009, 02:34 PM

3,089 posts, read 8,511,351 times
Quote:
True, but again, why open ourselves up to further vulnerability? There's a lot of dangerous stuff out there, do we really need more people out there with dependency problems and substance abuse issues? There is a large section of society that has proven it cannot be trusted to act responsibly (prisons, institutions and cemetaries are full of them), why would we want to introduce dangerous narcotics into mainstream society? What good will come of it?
Dangerous narcotics have been apart of our society since America was created. Like I said when cocaine,heroine, etc was legal we did not see as much crime and overflow in prison until we made it illegal. That speaks volume. Prohibition is making things worse look at alcohol during prohibition with all the mafia activity.

You seem to be under the impression that if crack was legalized every single human being will run around smoking crack. No, if it was legalized people with addiction can go out and get there lives straight without the stigma of felon stamped on them for life and the cartels will be out of business.

It makes sense to take all the money we are spending on the War On Drugs and put it drug education and rehab that's whats going to combat it. Example tobacco there is so much education in the prevention of smoking and so many aides to help people stop so now we have seen a decrease in smokers.

Old 03-18-2009, 03:00 PM

OK, one thing that really bothers me. narcotic comes from the greek word narco, which means to sleep. the ONLY drugs in the world that are narcotics are opiates and opiods (weed can be a narcotic, but its not true in the sense that it can also be a stimulant). police just like to lump them all together, idk why though. if you dont believe me, then look it up.

Old 03-18-2009, 03:01 PM

im sorry i mean narcosis not narco.

Old 03-18-2009, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitokenshi View Post
Dangerous narcotics have been apart of our society since America was created. Like I said when cocaine,heroine, etc was legal we did not see as much crime and overflow in prison until we made it illegal. That speaks volume. Prohibition is making things worse look at alcohol during prohibition with all the mafia activity.

You seem to be under the impression that if crack was legalized every single human being will run around smoking crack. No, if it was legalized people with addiction can go out and get there lives straight without the stigma of felon stamped on them for life and the cartels will be out of business.

It wasn't long ago that it was perfectly legal to carry a knife onto an airplane too...look how that turned out.

When those narcotics were legal in this country the world was a different place. We didn't have the scientific research 100 years ago that we have today. People didn't know they were shooting poison into their bodies. There wasn't an entire counter culture that glamorized gang life and prostitution, being a junkie with no ambition was not something that we embraced the way Hollywood has today.

Do you honestly think that the people who are hooked on crack would seek help if only it were legal to be using it in the first place? News flash...there are programs in place for heroin and crack addicts to get help without fear of being arrested...it's called rehab. Making it legal won't stamp out the cartels either. They'll continue to sell drugs, they'll just sell it cheaper, or in stronger (unregulated) doses. Look at cigarettes, they're legal in all states, yet there is still a black market for them to get them at cheaper prices.

Old 03-18-2009, 08:17 PM

3,089 posts, read 8,511,351 times
Quote:
It wasn't long ago that it was perfectly legal to carry a knife onto an airplane too...look how that turned out.
irrelevant a knife is not a drug. Alcohol is and it was prohibited and we saw a mass crime wave with its prohibition. We don't see that anymore the drug dealers turned to something new once alcohol became legal.

Quote:
When those narcotics were legal in this country the world was a different place. We didn't have the scientific research 100 years ago that we have today. People didn't know they were shooting poison into their bodies.
exactly we are in a much better position now to educate the public which is what should be done rather then locking up users.

Quote:
There wasn't an entire counter culture that glamorized gang life and prostitution, being a junkie with no ambition was not something that we embraced the way Hollywood has today.
that's because it wasn't illegal

Quote:
Do you honestly think that the people who are hooked on crack would seek help if only it were legal to be using it in the first place? News flash...there are programs in place for heroin and crack addicts to get help without fear of being arrested...it's called rehab. Making it legal won't stamp out the cartels either. They'll continue to sell drugs, they'll just sell it cheaper, or in stronger (unregulated) doses. Look at cigarettes, they're legal in all states, yet there is still a black market for them to get them at cheaper prices.
No, I don't think that people who are hooked on crack would seek help only if it is legal. What I said was ...
Quote:
No, if it was legalized people with addiction can go out and get there lives straight without the stigma of felon stamped on them
meaning if a person is caught with drugs that simple possession ruins their chance of a future because they are deemed a felon. How is that suppose to help anybody?

[sarcasm] Yea, your right there is so much gang activity and crime related to tobacco sale. It's outrageous! [/sarcasm]

Last edited by nitokenshi; 03-18-2009 at 08:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates