Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2009, 02:31 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,239,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioUberAlles View Post
Business Administration, they made us take a year of science, math, and literature classes as a general requirement, along with 1-2 years of some other things (theology/religious studies, philosophy, etc).
That's pretty cool. I wish my gen eds would have included some business and/or economics classes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2009, 09:32 PM

3,536 posts, read 5,918,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post
It is not a fact until we know everything about it.
Gravity then is not a fact. We do not know everything about gravity.

Old 02-23-2009, 04:32 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,625,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
Gravity then is not a fact. We do not know everything about gravity.
I stand corrected.

Gravity and Evolution are both theories and facts.

Facts pertain to the actions that we know and see (gravitational pull, fossills). The theory lies in what causes these mechanisms to happen.

Old 02-24-2009, 08:45 AM

857 posts, read 1,426,027 times
First off, this thread appears to be getting off the subject here. Gravity and evolution prob have thier own threads so please take it there. Secondly in an attempt to get this thread back on track I will say that Marijuana has done a lot more good for the world then bad and add some quotes from Bill Hicks

"You see, I think drugs have done some good things for us. I really do. And if you don't believe drugs have done good things for us, do me a favor. Go home tonight. Take all your albums, all your tapes and all your CDs and burn them. 'Cause you know what, the musicians that made all that great music that's enhanced your lives throughout the years — rrreal f**king high on drugs. The Beatles were so f**king high they let Ringo sing a few tunes"

"They lie about marijuana. Tell you pot-smoking makes you unmotivated. Lie! When you're high, you can do everything you normally do just as well — you just realize that it's not worth the ****ing effort. There is a difference."

Old 02-24-2009, 08:52 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,259,163 times
Originally Posted by ulnevrwalkalone
Quote:
"They lie about marijuana. Tell you pot-smoking makes you unmotivated. Lie! When you're high, you can do everything you normally do just as well — you just realize that it's not worth the ****ing effort. There is a difference."
I don't see the difference between becoming unmotivated and realising that something isn’t worth the effort.
In both cases nothing gets done.

Old 02-24-2009, 08:59 AM

1,009 posts, read 879,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulnevrwalkalone View Post

This reminds me of that actor who supposedly said something along the lines of, "cocaine isn't addictive, I should know, I've been using it for years."

Old 03-03-2009, 08:48 AM

13,621 posts, read 12,758,618 times
Quote:
This reminds me of that actor who supposedly said something along the lines of, "cocaine isn't addictive, I should know, I've been using it for years."
damn that's like comparing mike tyson to nancy polosi!!!!first second of round one it's all over.... knock out head gone

Old 03-03-2009, 09:27 AM

2,521 posts, read 2,357,040 times
Quote:
My chemistry professor spent most of one class talking about how the Big Bang is a hoax and how God made the Universe. He explained that most scientists have very few answers and they just want to use some terms such as "Big Bang" as a cop-out to avoid having to answer tough questions about their ideas.
At a secular public school? If so, that would be illegal in most states.

Otherwise, hearing religious dogma from a religious school teacher is nothing new, that's why there are so many ignorant catholic schoolgirls in college who know nothing about real life.

But again, you have HIJACKED this thread with your obsession about fairy tales and imaginary friends and somehow turned a debate about Marijuana (something your "god" would have given to us for a reason, it's all natural...unlike most of what you eat and every pharmaceutical you take) into a debate about evolution (gravity is also a theory, do you deny that too?) and the Big Bang Theory, which are two entirely different concepts. LEARN SOME SCIENCE. And STOP TURNING THIS POT DEBATE INTO A RELIGION DEBATE.

Old 03-03-2009, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Once I was beyond the junior high level, I've never encountered a science teacher, science professor, or a scientist who actually believed in evolution.
WHERE DID YOU GO TO SCHOOL???????????

My high school, which is internationally reknown, taught entire classes on evolution.

My university, which is the best school in the Louisiana/Mississippi/Alabama/Arkansas region, also had classes on evolution.

Do you also believe that dinosaurs and man walked together?

Finally...please, at least mention pot legalization once in a while...that's what this thread is about. If you want to discuss evolution, we have hundreds of threads on it.

Pot should be legalized because of all the things this state could do to enhance the economy, it would be the most immediate and least risky for a massive economic failure. It would only increase state funds.

Old 03-03-2009, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
I lost my last post! I hate that.

So, what specific issue are you taking with this fossil record?

What do you mean evolving in a staggering fashion? Evolution takes thousands of years for higher animals. That is why geneticists study fruit flies. They have a short life span. Same goes for bacteria. One of the links I provided earlier covers bacteria quite well.
I have one sign of evolution that is very obvious to anyone with half a brain. Have you heard of the recent development of all sorts of medicine-resistant viruses that have developed in recent years. How would that happen without evolution? The virus couldn't survive anymore with the drugs, so it mutated and is now able to resist the same medicine that would have killed it before. Or look at the English Bulldog or pretty much any other companion dog breed, they used to be a lot more ferocious before they evolved into perfect companions.

Pot should also be legalized to maybe cause a few drunks to stay home on the couch with a joint instead of behind the wheel with a 6-pack of Budweiser in them and make our roads safer. Drunks are far more likely to drive somewhere, and do it more recklessly, than stoners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates