Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2008, 11:43 AM

43,851 posts, read 51,443,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
For the record, I do not use pot. However, I am for legalization of pot and all other currently illegal drugs. If someone wants to get high, sell them the good stuff (tax it in the process), give them a safe place to get high, and let 'em rip. If they overdose and kill themselves (obviously not with pot of course), oh well, good riddance.

If pot were legalized, there would be no increase or only a very slight increase in use. For myself, I wouldn't use it even if it were legalized because I simply don't like how being high feels. I don't like the feeling of being drunk, either, so I almost never touch any alcohol.

Legalize, tax, profit.
Very interesting point in there not being an increase of usage just based on it being legal. I think you may be absolutely correct. However, since it looks like a regular cigarette if someone were smoking in a vehicle, could it cause more traffic accidents?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2008, 12:18 PM

27,200 posts, read 46,796,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr74 View Post
It was heaven aside from the *******s that reside here now. I would trade a crappy anal neighbor over a pot smoking family that has nothing else better than to get high, drive high, their goal in life is to stay high....
They spend all their time INSIDE their house getting high? Well, that beats having your neighbors getting drunk and loud every night of the week...

Old 10-27-2008, 02:34 PM

3,012 posts, read 8,941,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr74 View Post
And it is convenient that you forgot to mention the ***** who is rolling down the street with her kids thinking she is driving 20 mph when really it is 40 and in a residential neighborhood with heavy kid traffic.
Dude, you've obviously NEVER seen someone driving stoned. It's more like they'll be going 20 in a 40 zone. That's IF they manage to get their butt off the sofa and get into the car.

Old 10-27-2008, 02:35 PM

3,012 posts, read 8,941,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
Very interesting point in there not being an increase of usage just based on it being legal. I think you may be absolutely correct. However, since it looks like a regular cigarette if someone were smoking in a vehicle, could it cause more traffic accidents?
Nope. Besides, you can put alcohol in a soda bottle too, and drink it while you drive.

Old 10-27-2008, 11:29 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,925,364 times
Read only a few arguements here. But, A LOT of wrong information. Most medical textbooks I have read (trust me A LOT, I was a Biopsychology major with more an emphasis on neuropharmacology) say that yes pot adversely affects memory, but only in high doses. Studies show low correlation between moderate usage and memory impairment. Studies also indicate that low usage has no significant impariment. This was achieved by a forced choice memory task with a 5% confidence interval, two tailed analysis. THC affects the cannanbinoid receptors, but the binding is not as high as with nicotinergic receptors. Essentially, this causes less firing. More dopamine in the system with nicotine and why it is hard to quit. With alcohol, this also affects memory A LOT more with Korsakoff syndrome. The medial temporal lobe and the hippocampus are greatly affected causing retrograde amnesia (forgetting prior events). This occurs since thiamine is depleted from the body from alcohol and sugars. Also, since the metabolism of alcohol creates essentially a toxin (acealdehyde) this creates major complications. Acetaldehyde is only one hydrogen away from methaldehyde (what they use on dead people). Since the dopamine receptors are bombarded, it is very hard to quit alcohol. There is no known case in which a person is physically dependant on pot.

On the social aspect (I also dabbled in Sociology...I wanted to be well rounded), pot is more stigmatized since it was more associated with minorities. In the past, marijuana was seen as less American as drinking. This image still is somewhat in play, but to a MUCH lesser extent. The stigma is more seen as an assualt on American values, not tied specifically on minorities. The inner city would benifit since pot is the number one illegal substance that lands people in jail. You don't even need to the read the studies, but just look on an episode of cops...the number one drug that lands people in jail is pot. If legalized, the war on drugs would be greatly diminished. We are in the middle of an economic meltdown, any new revenue would help. Also the war on drugs is just as stupid as the war on terror. How can you win a war on drugs? Is it even possible to have a war on drugs? What constitutes a war on drugs? I digress... But American "values" place marijuana as against the norms of our nation. This is despite the fact that it is the second most used substance behind alcohol.

Plus concerning driving, there is a much reduced incidince rate of impairment under the influence of pot as compared to alcohol. Several Canadian studies indicated that people were less likely to drive while stoned. The study showed that there would most likely NOT be an increase in motor accidents due to marijuana.

To sum it up, I loved what my Cognitive Neurology textbook wrote, they essentially wrote how they do not see how tired, hungry, laughing, focused stoners can be a threat to society.

Old 10-27-2008, 11:42 PM

8,419 posts, read 16,276,132 times
Originally Posted by that1guy
Quote:
To sum it up, I loved what my Cognitive Neurology textbook wrote, they essentially wrote how they do not see how tired, hungry, laughing, focused stoners can be a threat to society.
Too bad medical researchers are easily 'influenced' by the pharmaceutical companies.

Old 10-27-2008, 11:48 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,925,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by that1guy Too bad medical researchers are easily 'influenced' by the pharmaceutical companies.
Not really...it's a lot more complex. Plus there is no financial benifit from being pro-pot.

Old 10-28-2008, 08:11 AM

1,385 posts, read 3,014,029 times
It smells like body odor when it gets burned.

Old 10-28-2008, 07:00 PM

8,419 posts, read 16,276,132 times
Originally Posted by that1guy
Quote:
Plus there is no financial benifit from being pro-pot.
Maybe, but influencing (read: bribing) researchers has its benefits.
I guess this is why most corporations do it.
Besidez, if pot is only allowed to be grown by corporations (like nicotine & alcohol) it would definitely only benefit the pharmaceutical industry.
Just like the American pharmaceutical industry didn’t want S. Africa to be able to produce their own cheap version of AIDS-medicine.

Old 10-29-2008, 08:07 AM

4,064 posts, read 5,648,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Besidez, if pot is only allowed to be grown by corporations
Who says this is what decriminalization will lead to?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates