Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2014, 07:58 AM

5,252 posts, read 4,676,657 times

Advertisements

Moderator cut: against forum guidelines here's a well thought out synopsis of the how and why of world poverty that can be directly attributed to western economic/foreign policy and subsequently "our immigration problem".

http://www.mtholyoke.edu/acad/intrel/globdebt.htm

Last edited by Oldhag1; 07-01-2014 at 10:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2014, 08:12 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Default How Should The Border Crisis Be Resolved? A Wall? The National Guard? Deportment? ... What Would You Do?

1. Find the three largest employers of illegals.

2. Jail their CEOs in a federal pen for 5 years.

3. Give their corporations $1 billion fines.

Illegals wouldn't be able to buy a job. Of course, that will never happen.

What very few grasp is that the beneficiaries of illegal immigration are the wealthy. It's simply another facet of corporate welfare. And that's exactly why it will never be effectively addressed.

Corporate America loves having millions of sub-minimum wage people in the workforce, holding down pay and benefits for the rest of us.

Old 07-01-2014, 09:32 AM

1,786 posts, read 2,668,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
...The borders are going to have to be mined and, as others have suggested, inter locking fields of fire, from machine guns, which will kill ANYONE who cross a certain line.

Until this occurs and people quit coming to this country, ILLEGALLY, all this "feel good" talk is just that. Feel good. Means jack and won't amount to jack.

For all those who say those people who are just trying to "better their lives" by coming here. Agreed. Yet, when these ILLEGAL ALIENS start getting public assistance, why aren't you the first in line to raise their hands, and have THEIR incomes taxed to pay for them? Why?
You do realize that these are human beings we are talking about, right? Like actual living, breathing humans with families, talents, wants and desires - just like you. You point out that you understand they simply want to better their lives, yet you suggest landmines and machine guns as the solution? Because apparently 'Muricans are the only ones allowed to better themselves, eh?

You don't just kill people because they inconvenience you.

I'd love to see immigrants be able to easily pay taxes. The issue is that they can't easily get a SSN or TIN with which to do so. Let's get them all tax IDs, so they can work, make a minimum wage, pay taxes and truly better themselves. Making all immigration more difficult with walls, policies, border checks (and landmines and guns according to this guy who apparently missed class on humanity day) won't stop them from coming here, instead we need to make LEGAL immigration easier to deter illegal immigration.

I like my plan better than landmines and machine guns.

Old 07-01-2014, 09:52 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,829,224 times
We've built walls in the past. They don't help. These people build tunnels and go right under.

Old 07-01-2014, 04:18 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,563,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wudge View Post
4 Ways to End The Illegal Immigration Crisis

If it were up to me, the first thing I would do is fund contractors to complete the wall between Mexico and the United States. Because you can't manage what you can't control. And immigration shoudl defintely be well and tightly controlled by the United States.

The second thing I would do is use the National Guard as a huge buffer for the border agents we currently have, because the number of border agents we have now simply cannot keep up with the new influx of illegal immigrants. They need help now.

Once the wall is complete, I would wind down using the National Guard and fund the required number of border agents that would be needed to properly control what is effectively now an open border.
It's simple really, circulate photos of immigrants being treated horribly in this country on the 'net. They don't have to be real or true, but the rumors will spread like wildfire.

Old 07-01-2014, 07:57 PM

62,952 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo-Aggie View Post
You do realize that these are human beings we are talking about, right? Like actual living, breathing humans with families, talents, wants and desires - just like you. You point out that you understand they simply want to better their lives, yet you suggest landmines and machine guns as the solution? Because apparently 'Muricans are the only ones allowed to better themselves, eh?

You don't just kill people because they inconvenience you.

I'd love to see immigrants be able to easily pay taxes. The issue is that they can't easily get a SSN or TIN with which to do so. Let's get them all tax IDs, so they can work, make a minimum wage, pay taxes and truly better themselves. Making all immigration more difficult with walls, policies, border checks (and landmines and guns according to this guy who apparently missed class on humanity day) won't stop them from coming here, instead we need to make LEGAL immigration easier to deter illegal immigration.

I like my plan better than landmines and machine guns.
We already allow in 1 million legal immigrants a year. That number reflects how many we can accommodate in jobs and resources. Any more than that and it negates that sane policy. We cannot take in every needy person on this planet without hurting our own citizens. Why is that so hard for some to understand?

Old 07-01-2014, 08:07 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,802,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
It's simple really, circulate photos of immigrants being treated horribly in this country on the 'net. They don't have to be real or true, but the rumors will spread like wildfire.
The person in the old country whips out his cell phone and calls Juan who lives in Indianapolis. Juan says nah just silly propaganda. So much for the big campaign. And don't kid yourself. They do have cell phones and they do talk to Juan in Indianapolis.

Old 07-01-2014, 09:34 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,481,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
We already allow in 1 million legal immigrants a year. That number reflects how many we can accommodate in jobs and resources. Any more than that and it negates that sane policy. We cannot take in every needy person on this planet without hurting our own citizens. Why is that so hard for some to understand?
Exactly, sorry this is the real world, the US is broke, and south of the border ain't our problem until they cross the border and we make them uncomfortable until the go back home where they belong. Honduras violence isn't my problem.

Old 07-01-2014, 09:49 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,802,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckeeee View Post
Exactly, sorry this is the real world, the US is broke, and south of the border ain't our problem until they cross the border and we make them uncomfortable until the go back home where they belong. Honduras violence isn't my problem.
Unforunately you can't. They have happily built a self sustaining colony under the bigger tent.

There are way too many to throw out and they are now a built in fifth column that supports new arrivals.

Legalization is probably going to happen eventually and the crowd that will have to be legalized is probably not far off the minimum practical. We can wait five years and have to do half again as many.

Old 07-01-2014, 10:26 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,481,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
Unforunately you can't. They have happily built a self sustaining colony under the bigger tent.

There are way too many to throw out and they are now a built in fifth column that supports new arrivals.

Legalization is probably going to happen eventually and the crowd that will have to be legalized is probably not far off the minimum practical. We can wait five years and have to do half again as many.
Yes we can, but as you said there is no will. I could even stomach allowing some to legalize, but when I hear they want a loophole to drag the relatives across the border no way
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates