Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2019, 10:14 AM

9,392 posts, read 7,031,305 times

Advertisements

OJ nearly decapitated a person and killed another while getting away with it.

LAPD botched the investigation and the lack of justice and blood is on their hands.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2019, 10:56 AM

28,711 posts, read 18,917,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grad_student200 View Post
It's not a boolean variable like that. I am Native American and actually thought OJ was guilty. At the time, I was in graduate school studying biochemistry for a thesis. I saw the long series where the defense was attacking the DNA evidence and made it clear the collection and handling were tainted. This meant part (but not all) of the evidence was compromised. The situation with DNA is that even if 10, 20, 70 % could be corrupted, the remainder is still valid. There should have been enough to keep it known as legitimate, but the lab technicians were too inexperienced. DNA technology was new at the time.
The prosecution got snookered into defending the police lab itself rather than directly discussing the validity of the evidence, even if it had been tainted somewhat. I exclaimed at the time, "They get good DNA from Egyptian mummies!"

Quote:
The glove fitting was one of the worst prosecution moves of the century. First of all, OJ had arthritis and his hands swelled while in jail. Second, the gloves shrank from the blood moisture and general ambient exposure. This prosecution showed OJ clearly fitting the glove comfortably in earlier pictures prior to the murder.
The defense understood the value of getting a good, dramatic "Matlock Moment."

Quote:
Marcia Clark's biggest mistakes were in the jury selection. She naively assumed black women would be on her said and that gender would supercede race in a trial involving domestic violence and murder. But it was the other way around.
I have been a juror on federal felony trial where that exact thing happened in exactly that way, but it went further than just the black women. In this trial, a black man was accused of beating up a black female cop. The white female prosecutor strove to get a jury that was as female as possible and as white-male as possible. At the same time, the defense attorney was kicking out all the conservative-looking white males as possible. During jury selection, it was so obvious that the two white guys in suits in front of me quipped to each other about not worrying about being selected.

Me...they got to me late in the game. I'm a black male, but I was also older and military, so maybe somewhat conservative. I was a toss-up.

But while the prosecutor might have thought she had a good gender hand, in fact the women jurors proved totally in favor of the male defendant and opposed to the female cop. Including the white women. One older white woman (probably a 60s radical) simply said, "I'm not going to convict anyone for beating up a cop," and then took her knitting out of her purse.

The two white guys folded pretty quickly when they saw which way the women went.

It turned out we male black jurors were the ones who held out the longest for conviction. We really didn't want to see someone walk away from beating the hell out of a woman.

I just want to say for the record, that "sisterhood" is bunk.

Quote:
Second, Darden was clearly aware of subtle racism and knew that Fuhrman's demeanor would be subject to harsh cross-examination. Marcia ignored his warning and paid the price.
Yep.

Quote:
As for Fuhrman, to me he was the most professional cop on the night in question. But the senior lead detectives ignored his notes. And some bloody fingerprints on the rear gate were not examinded for evidence. The lead detectives also mishandled the blood. Someone also put OJ's blanket onto the crime scene and put his hairs and DNA there. The tragedy with Fuhrman was that he truly had been racist in the 80s but by 1994 had put it behind him - especially for this case. But the defense destroyed his credibility even though he actually was a good cop that night and found the gloves. Scientifically, there was no way he could have planted it.
I think the gloves were found at the scene and planted at the residence--but Fuhrman's instincts were correct.

There are a couple of points to be made.

First: The trial did not exist in a social vacuum. The LA Ramparts Division already had a horrible--and well-deserved--reputation for corruption and racism. The entire jury pool already knew that. Fuhrman himself may or may not have still be racist, but he was tainted with the reputation of the Ramparts Division, so nobody was going to believe he had become a changed man.

This wasn't just a blatant matter of juries from that jury pool refusing to prosecute blacks. Remember that Clark had been very successful in getting black defendants prosecuted from this same jury pool in the past. Of course, she'd always been going against public defenders, poor and unknown defendants, and low-end lawyers before, too.

Quote:
The whole thing was one big prosecution error, and OJ got acquited by a jury that largely did not understand DNA. In modern times, there are actually far younger and more educated minorities very familiar with DNA who would convict him. Recent polls have shown this.
Second--and I had to keep this in mind during the trial, remembering my own experience as a juror--the jury only saw and heard what was presented in court. They weren't allowed to keep notes and they weren't allowed to discuss the trial among themselves.

The prosecution started the trial with weeks of "trial by dream." No, they didn't leap out with hard evidence, they leaped out with OJ Simpson's dreams about killing Nicole, days and days of droning psychologists nattering on. My first impression of the first couple of weeks was, "They've clearly got nothing. They're talking about dreams because they've got no real evidence."

It took a while to shake me of that initial impression. The jury sitting through all that day after day would have gotten the same impression, just before being somnambulized.

That effect was also seen with the hours and hours and hours of droning testimony regarding DNA analysis and dueling expert witnesses.

But who got all the dramatic Matlock Moments that woke everyone up? The defense.

Those of us watching on television got play-by-play analyses every day. Pundits told us what was important, what was not important, what was good testimony, what was not good testimony, they broke down and explained to us what the expert testimony meant.

The jury never got play-by-play analysis. They never got explanations. They never heard an experienced lawyer say, "That was just courtroom drama that didn't really mean anything." They went to their rooms, ate dinner, and went to bed.

The evidence that convinced me OJ was guilty (at least convinced me he was at the scene--I still believe he had an accomplice) wasn't even shown to the jury. That was the bloody shoe print found at the scene that was traced to an extremely expensive brand of hand-made Italian shoes, a pair of which was traced by sales records to Simpson. That convinced me...but the jury never saw it.

Old 07-13-2019, 11:06 AM

29,536 posts, read 22,824,381 times
I remember a tv program I saw many years ago, "Hard Copy" I believe it was.

Vincent Bugliosi went over a lot of the evidence in a damning new light with two of the same female black jurors that was on the jury panel for the OJ trial.

No matter what Vincent said about the solid evidence, the two women automatically dismissed everything he said. I think they had a convenient excuse about if there was any doubt at all about any of the evidence, then it was not acceptable.

The point being, these two women and the jury were never going to convict OJ. It was a sham and the jurors were in on it. It was a multiple combination of factors, including morons being swept up in the celebrity atmosphere of it all and happily not finding OJ guilty, to some stupid notion of 'payback' against a justice system these jurors and their supporters felt always had it in for people of color.

Old 07-13-2019, 01:24 PM

8,535 posts, read 6,966,242 times
Another lingering reminder of the fallacy of the American jury system. It's not about fairness but tribal payback and race baiting attorneys.

Old 07-13-2019, 01:40 PM

2,020 posts, read 1,134,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
The point being, these two women and the jury were never going to convict OJ. It was a sham and the jurors were in on it. It was a multiple combination of factors, including morons being swept up in the celebrity atmosphere of it all and happily not finding OJ guilty, to some stupid notion of 'payback' against a justice system these jurors and their supporters felt always had it in for people of color.
Agree. The black community overwhelmingly supported OJ throughout his trial. Black members of the jury had to be fearful of retaliation by their community members if they convicted OJ. At the very minimum, they and their families would have been subjected to a lot of harassment.

Old 07-13-2019, 01:48 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,254,334 times
It blows my mind that anyone in his right mind can think OJ was framed. It couldn't be more obvious that he did it.

He had already beaten her severely on more than one occasion (published photos show her bruised face & black eyes); she predicted he would murder her (and get away with it); and in general anytime a wife is murdered in a violent way you can bet it was the abusive spouse. Ron Goldman was a martial arts expert, so it would have taken a very large guy to overpower him and still manage to kill Nicole before she could escape.

The crap about him being framed is nothing more than "muddying the waters" like all sleazebag lawyers do when their client is obviously guilty - and for once Karma came around and served them early graves for their part in freeing a vicious multiple murderer.

Old 07-14-2019, 07:27 AM

12 posts, read 4,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
It blows my mind that anyone in his right mind can think OJ was framed. It couldn't be more obvious that he did it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Apparantly one poster here believes he didn't do it, as incredible as that is to understand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1984 View Post
There is no doubt that he did it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
No, the LAPD did not try to frame OJ. OJ got away with murder just like Nicole predicted.
OJ Simpson was 100% innocent.

When they asked the lead detective (Mark Fuhrman who was a hardcore racist) "Did he plant evidence ?" he pleaded the 5th.

That equals NOT GUILTY.

What you fail to realize was the moment the LAPD broke the chain of blood evidence, that put doubt in the case. The job of the defense isn’t to prove innocence, but punch holes in the prosecution’s case. The LAPD is rotten to the core when it comes to setting black men up.

But you believe OJ got up that day, put on a sweat suit with a skull cap and some bruno magi shoes, drove to his ex wife house and killed her and another person he didn't know would be there, and didn't get any bruises on his face or body, and caught a flight afterward ?

Quote:
He had already beaten her severely on more than one occasion (published photos show her bruised face & black eyes); she predicted he would murder her (and get away with it); and in general anytime a wife is murdered in a violent way you can bet it was the abusive spouse. Ron Goldman was a martial arts expert, so it would have taken a very large guy to overpower him and still manage to kill Nicole before she could escape.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RcHydro View Post
Oh yea he did it. His ego couldnt take losing her. He is the type that if he couldnt have her, nobody can have her, his brutality showed that. Ron was just there at the wrong time. Without the BS glove fiasco, he would of been found guilty.
Quote:
The crap about him being framed is nothing more than "muddying the waters" like all sleazebag lawyers do when their client is obviously guilty - and for once Karma came around and served them early graves for their part in freeing a vicious multiple murderer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
The pictures of the victims showed rage and he definitely had rage in him towards Nicole.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChloeC View Post
Motive? Jealousy. Pretty straightforward...
There was no motive. There was no witness. There was no murder weapon. Yet OJ did it ? OK Right

Here is a transcript of a letter Nicole wrote to OJ trying to get back with him. The prosecution didn't allow this in court. The letter Nicole wrote to OJ destroys the prosecutions jealous rage card motive. That's why the prosecution didn't allow it

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
OJ was guilty as sin. He got away with murder. Double murderer, deserve a hanging.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
So they dig up some guy who said he heard Mark fuhrman saying the N word or making fun of black people.
OJ Simpson didn't kill anybody. These are Fuhrman words about planting evidence on blacks.

This was the lead detective in the case in the OJ Simpson case

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizualizax90 View Post
"Mezzaluna Trattoria" which is an Italian restaurant, was a known mob spot in Brentwood. Another waiter was killed mysteriously that worked there. His name was Michae Nigg. He drove around in nice cars despite that he was a waiter which tipped off a lot of people that certain illegal activity was going on there.
Nicole Simpson was involved with several ppl connected to the Mezzaluna Restaurant (where Ron worked) Other waiters there were killed. This is Nicole Simpson with Keith Zlomsowitch & one of his buddies feeling her up. This gives you an idea how they rolled

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChloeC View Post
DNA isn't credible either right? I wasn't there so I'm not sure why OJ flipped out and attacked Ron and Nicole. You'll have to ask him.

The man was guilty. DNA blood evidence said he was guilty...
Not really. As @Vizualizax90 said

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizualizax90 View Post
You mean the DNA that had traces of EDTA in it? Which is used as an anticoagulant for blood samples?

And the DNA that was found by a man that throughout years said things like "I love planting evidence on n*ggers. I like to beat the sh*t out of them. If I could round up all black people and burn them all".
So yeah they found blood DNA on OJ's property and they failed to mention it all had EDTA in it which is a chemical used in stored blood.

EDTA isn't found naturally in the body in significant quantities. The fact the blood samples had it proves blood was planted and who was the lead detective in this case ? Yup. Mark Furhman. Mark Fuhrman wasn't just an everyday white racist. He was a white extremist.

To this day no one can explain how OJ's blood samples had all those EDTA chemicals in it.

Old 07-14-2019, 09:01 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,089,892 times
OJ literally got away with murder.

Old 07-14-2019, 10:16 AM

13,478 posts, read 7,463,664 times
Some good points about the OJ evidence
https://famous-trials.com/simpson/1857-evidence

1. The 9-1-1 call and the history of Simpson's violence directed at Nicole Brown.

2. Hair evidence: (1) hairs consistent with that of Simpson found on cap at Bundy residence, (2) hairs consistent with that of Simpson found on Ron Goldman's shirt.

3. Fiber evidence: (1) cotton fibers consistent with the carpet in the Bronco found on glove at Rockingham, (2) fibers consistent with the carpet from the Bronco found on cap at Bundy residence.

4. Blood evidence: (1) killer dropped blood near shoe prints at Bundy, (2) blood dropped at Bundy was of same type as Simpson's (about 0.5% of population would match), (3) Simpson had fresh cuts on left hand on day after murder, (4) blood found in Bronco, (5) blood found in foyer and master bedroom of Simpson home, (5) blood found on Simpson's driveway, (6) blood on socks in OJ's home matched Nicole's.

5. Glove evidence: (1) left glove found at Bundy and right glove found at Simpson residence are Aris Light gloves, size XL, (2) Nicole Brown bought pair of Aris Light XL gloves in 1990 at Bloomingdale's, (3) Simpson wore Aris Light gloves from 1990 to June, 1994.

6. Shoe evidence: (1) shoe prints found at Bundy were from a size 12 Bruno Magli shoe, (2) bloody shoe impression on Bronco carpet is consistent with a Magli shoe, (3) Simpson wore a size 12 shoe.

7. Other evidence: (1) flight in Bronco, (2) strange reaction to phone call informing him of Nicole Brown's death, etc.

EDTA can also be found in a wide array of consumer products, including laundry detergent. So to establish a scientific control, Nicole Brown Simpson’s dress was also sent to the FBI lab. The test came up positive there – even through there was no blood. That control further established the test’s sensitivity, Harmon said. https://www.forensicmag.com/news/201...aking-murderer

Last edited by kell490; 07-14-2019 at 10:30 AM..

Old 07-19-2019, 01:07 AM

25 posts, read 39,152 times
Quote:
Nicole Simpson was involved with several ppl connected to the Mezzaluna Restaurant (where Ron worked) Other waiters there were killed. This is Nicole Simpson with Keith Zlomsowitch & one of his buddies feeling her up. This gives you an idea how they rolled.
WTF are you talking about? The picture you posted shows a group of males. No Nicole or any other female, and nobody is groping anybody else.

At any rate, O.J. killed her. HE DID. Domestic abusers kill their victims all the time. Whatever motivates them to abuse in the first is what motivates them to kill. Poor Impulse control, anger management issues, etc. Things escalate, sometimes to the point of no return. Goldman had the bad luck to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, poor guy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates