Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2019, 04:01 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,330,749 times

Advertisements

No, the LAPD did not try to frame OJ. OJ got away with murder just like Nicole predicted.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2019, 04:18 PM

26,844 posts, read 27,016,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
The gloves. For whatever reason, the gloves didn't fit. Why was OJ asked to put them on? Dumb, dumb, dumb! (At least in retropspect.)
The glove did not fit on Simpson's hand, leading his defense attorney Johnnie Cochran to utter one of the defining lines of the trial, "If it doesn't fit, you must acquit."

"Chris Darden and Marcia Clarke were never supposed to ask O.J. to try on the glove," Garcetti said, referring to the trial's prosecutors. "He had probably been working out his hand, developing muscle in his hand, and we knew that the glove would shrink. It’d been in the elements. It’s leather.

"What we didn’t know until I saw it on this film (OJ: Made in America documentary) was that O.J. Simpson was taking arthritic medication for his hands and he was told, 'If you stop taking this arthritic medication, your hands will swell. Your joints will stiffen.' My God," (ex-D.A. Gil) Garcetti said.

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/gil-garcet...lebrities.html

Old 07-07-2019, 04:19 PM

22,690 posts, read 24,713,753 times
Factual-evidence clearly pointed to the real murderer.....somehow that was not enough for a conviction.

Old 07-07-2019, 11:25 PM

13,478 posts, read 7,463,664 times
Vincent Bugliosi the man who prosecuted Charles Manson explains why OJ would have lost if he had been the prosecutor. He says the idea that the jury wanted to let OJ off because of racism was not true. He blamed the F- performance Prosecutor Marcia Clark. He does do a good job of pointing out the defense team was not a dream team. He shows how Lead attorney Johnny Cochran and Robert Shapiro had never defended a client in a murder case they had only experience in civil cases.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UkXP6Ovp6E&t=1317s

Old 07-10-2019, 06:55 AM

5,110 posts, read 3,091,721 times
I would say no, because the theories of how the framing would have went down have holes in them and do not make sense in my opinion. I'm surprised back then, at the time, a lot of people believed the framing, and didn't see the holes.

Old 07-11-2019, 02:07 AM

1,487 posts, read 787,050 times
I think that jury acquitted O.J., knowing full well he was guilty of murder, or at least had a hand in it. They did this in retribution for the Rodney King beating, and the not guilty verdict of the officers involved.

Old 07-11-2019, 04:33 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,120,347 times
I watched that entire documentary series.

The thing that sealed it for me (that O.J. was guilty as sin) was his "friend" LAPD cop who said O.J. gave like three different answers in a day to how he cut his hand.

I knew at that point for sure that he did it (in my head at least).

Old 07-11-2019, 09:58 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,790,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
No, the LAPD did not try to frame OJ. OJ got away with murder just like Nicole predicted.

Agree.

Old 07-12-2019, 03:41 PM

83 posts, read 50,304 times
Don't forget the testimony of Dr. Henry Lee - it was very influential in acquitting OJ.

But I agree with everyone else here that OJ got away with murder.

Old 07-12-2019, 10:11 PM

2,076 posts, read 1,658,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vf6cruiser View Post
It's really simple.....if you're black he was framed.......
If you're white he's guilty as sin
It's not a boolean variable like that. I am Native American and actually thought OJ was guilty. At the time, I was in graduate school studying biochemistry for a thesis. I saw the long series where the defense was attacking the DNA evidence and made it clear the collection and handling were tainted. This meant part (but not all) of the evidence was compromised. The situation with DNA is that even if 10, 20, 70 % could be corrupted, the remainder is still valid. There should have been enough to keep it known as legitimate, but the lab technicians were too inexperienced. DNA technology was new at the time.

The glove fitting was one of the worst prosecution moves of the century. First of all, OJ had arthritis and his hands swelled while in jail. Second, the gloves shrank from the blood moisture and general ambient exposure. This prosecution showed OJ clearly fitting the glove comfortably in earlier pictures prior to the murder.

Marcia Clark's biggest mistakes were in the jury selection. She naively assumed black women would be on her said and that gender would supercede race in a trial involving domestic violence and murder. But it was the other way around. Second, Darden was clearly aware of subtle racism and knew that Fuhrman's demeanor would be subject to harsh cross-examination. Marcia ignored his warning and paid the price.

As for Fuhrman, to me he was the most professional cop on the night in question. But the senior lead detectives ignored his notes. And some bloody fingerprints on the rear gate were not examinded for evidence. The lead detectives also mishandled the blood. Someone also put OJ's blanket onto the crime scene and put his hairs and DNA there. The tragedy with Fuhrman was that he truly had been racist in the 80s but by 1994 had put it behind him - especially for this case. But the defense destroyed his credibility even though he actually was a good cop that night and found the gloves. Scientifically, there was no way he could have planted it.

The whole thing was one big prosecution error, and OJ got acquited by a jury that largely did not understand DNA. In modern times, there are actually far younger and more educated minorities very familiar with DNA who would convict him. Recent polls have shown this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates