Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 12:35 PM

1,084 posts, read 2,477,682 times

Advertisements

You guys...stahp. Seriously, though, this thread needs to end. Every time there is a race thread, it ends up going off topic and people start bringing in their own hangups into the conversation. I'm surprised the mods didn't shut this down a while back since they tend to shut down other off topic threads quickly.

Last edited by Marissy; 02-03-2013 at 12:52 PM..

Old 02-03-2013, 03:06 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,320,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Overreact much? Where have I posted that blacks are evil or that they burn homosexuals at the stake?

The US black community being homophobic is why so many black women are getting AIDS from their straight acting black husbands using them as "beards".

AIDS FEARS GROW FOR BLACK WOMEN - New York Times

And Obama's support of gay marriage caused him to lose significant voter support in the African American community.

Irene Monroe: Will Obama's Support of Marriage Equality Keep Some Blacks Home on Election Day?

Also:

Homophobia: It's a black thing - Tampa Bay Times

Blacklight

I think that it is funny that you post this misleading information. The increase in women of color getting AIDS does not come from the gay population, but from the increase in the black male incarceration rate.
Straight men go into the prison system and some are raped or if they did some serious time raped some one else who had AIDS, when they are released they give it to their girlfriends and wives. The Hostilities towards the gay lifestyle comes mainly from the church, which to me are the biggest hypocrities in the community. I say this considering a great many of them have members in their congregation that are gay but yet turn their heads because they are the choir directors and are active in the church. As long as they keep paying tithes and being active, the members can care less.

Old 02-03-2013, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Something doesn't smell quite right...

Interesting that the OP's story does not add up to her previous posts and descriptions about who she really is.

The OP has either misrepresented herself in this thread or in her previous threads as either being a Black woman married to a White man (in this thread) or as a half Mexican/half White woman who is a single mom with the children's father being Black.

1) The original post in this thread

2) In a post on 08-18-2012, 06:35 PM she started a thread by writing this....

3) In a post from 08-01-2012, 10:57 AM she wrote this...

4) And on 07-26-2012, 05:34 PM she started a thread by writing this....

5) On 12-12-2012, 10:55 PM she started a thread with the following post....

Wow, The founding member of CDIU (City Data Investigative Unit)

Old 02-03-2013, 03:32 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,832,045 times
Over the years in street ministry, I've encountered far too many young black men in their 20's and 30's who grew-up with few economic resources and fewer good roll-models in their home, school or community. As with anyone, this produces a lack of "possibility thinking," ...resulting in too many school dropouts who are virtually illiterate and possess only street-lingo language skills ... and also often have gang and/or legal problems. In this circumstance, there are very few opportunities to succeed in traditional careers, thus, other things are often viewed as signs of 'manhood', such as producing children, (with no real thought given to marriage or supporting a family).

By the time these young men start to realize that life is more than 'rap and baby-mommas,' they are often miles away from sufficient education, job experience and language skills to compete with white peers and support a stable, established family. Similarly, single black mothers of this age are often already supporting multiple children ... and not looking for a man to also support (plus, facing the realization that having a man/husband in the home will reduce ADC and other benefits).

The world sometimes sees these end-result and declare, "The black community doesn't really value marriage", ...but, IMO, that is often only a symptom of far greater problems.

Last edited by jghorton; 02-03-2013 at 03:41 PM..

Old 02-03-2013, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Okay. This just proves to me that you are really incoherent, given you don't even understand simple statistics. I referred to the rate of dependence on the welfare state. These are a matter of public record.

Here's the thing. When Martin Luther King led his marches 50 years ago, all he asked for was a level playing field. In response to that call there have been literally trillions of dollars put into social programs, education, affirmative action and just about everything else you can name. The percentage of black children born outside wedlock was around 20% in 1963. Today it's 73%. That statistic right there is the single biggest thing that keeps blacks from enjoying true economic progress. Not institutionalized racism. It affects everything. Education. Health. Employment. Crime. You name it.

If a child is born out of wedlock verses the death or divorce of the father what is the difference if he is still not there and the support is limited anyway? I think that I have already explained how misleading the 70% number is but for some reason you won't accept it. A child being raised by one parent does not prevent him/her from getting an education if it is available and funded. Having one parent has absolutely nothing to do with the availablity of medical care. Employment does have a tie in with education but they all can be connected to institutionalize racism. Please look at the Pittsburgh's black disparity study done by Pitt University. All of the blacks in Pittsburgh do not come from single family homes and everything that I addressed is mentioned.

Pitt study finds stark racial disparities - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Because a child born and raised in a single-parent household is already starting life at a severe disadvantage, whether that child is black, white, brown, red, yellow, or green with eye stalks. So when the black community looks at a 73% single-parent birth rate and shrugs its shoulders, it's failing to address the single most important obstacle for securing long-term economic success. Hey, I know it's really easy to blame the whites, but the civil rights era was fifty years ago -- two generations.

So racism is gone? I guess some of the unfounded attacks on the first black president has nothing to do with the up swing in racism. All of the racist are not those backwoods toothless scared white people of old, they are lawyers, doctors, teachers, politicians, and businessmen and women who control how others live through employment, education and health.
SPLC Report on Increases in Racist and Other Hate Groups ...

Just to add fuel to the fire, achievement levels are very different depending on the cultural background of blacks. For example, research shows that the children of first-generation immigrant blacks from the Caribbean and Africa actually enjoy equivalent educational attainment and income to that of whites. So to sit here and say that the lot of blacks is to be laid at the doorstep of an America that remains mired in racism is just ignoring reality. A man whose parents moved here from Jamaica or Kenya doesn't seem to be facing the insurmountable obstacles that you are shouting about.

They have also come from a country and this is their last stop they have to make it work, besides they do not have the same baggage they Black Americans have dealt with for the past 200 years. But thanks for making it known that you don't know what the hell that you are talking about by trying to compare two different people.

What's more, legislating change can only go so far. The law books are filled with laws that ban discrimination in the workplace. What has to happen is to place a higher societal value on education and stable families. Until that happens, you can pass all the laws you want and fund all the programs you want. It won't do a damned bit of good.

As long as racism still exist, you are right. Hell those "laws" only make what they do more covert instead of overt. There are government agencies still promotes racist behavior in their hiring practices, it is just not as open as it use to be.

I find it interesting that someone that is looking in someone else's house knows everything that the occupant's experience and feel that they are the authority on their lifestyle, culture and behaviors but their interest is only because they are paying taxes and is "concerned" where their money is going

What's more, you can't even stay on topic. I actually object to government handouts to corporations, as if that has anything to do with the argument at hand.

It does, because if you can't acknowledge that more money is spent on corporate handouts then to people that need them, what would be the point of this conversation? Don't get me wrong I was a caseworker for 5 years and I'm aware that there are some lazy-ass people out there, but I also know that there are poeple trying to get off the welfare roles and get jobs that are not there.

Old 02-03-2013, 03:55 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,532,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Wow, The founding member of CDIU (City Data Investigative Unit)
CSI: City-Data

or

Law and Order: Troll Investigations

Old 02-03-2013, 04:17 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
It does, because if you can't acknowledge that more money is spent on corporate handouts then to people that need them, what would be the point of this conversation? Don't get me wrong I was a caseworker for 5 years and I'm aware that there are some lazy-ass people out there, but I also know that there are poeple trying to get off the welfare roles and get jobs that are not there.
Man. Are you just willfully not comprehending what I'm saying?

First, corporate handouts are not on the docket for this thread. Second I don't approve of them. Third, corporate welfare (Depending on how you define it) pales before the money spent propping up the welfare state. Fourth, the Obama administration evidently doesn't disapprove of corporate welfare either, given how many Goldman Sachs senior-level employees now toil away in his administration. In fact, I would argue that he's doubled down on corporate welfare, given his massive failed cash infusions into solar technology companies (Who, as a bonus, were major campaign contributors). Oh, and for giggles, let me point out that his secretary of Treasury was Tim Freaking Geithner, the man who was president of the New York Federal Reserve when all these Wall Street shenanigans and the subsequent government bailouts took place. Okay. Can we finally put that straw man argument to rest?

Second, I find it hilarious that you evidently consider anyone politically opposing the president to be a racist. Unfounded? How about hundreds upon hundreds of billions -- nay, trillions -- that was spent on an ill-considered stimulus that has done nothing to arrest unemployment in this country? Or a healthcare program that, by the Congressional Budget Office and the IRS's own findings now, will make per person healthcare expenditures MORE expensive? Shucks, why don't we look at how Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, and FHA completely destroyed mortgage underwriting in the first place beginning around 1996 in an ill-considered attempt to get financially-unprepared families people into homeownership, thereby leading to the entire housing and lending debacle in the first place?

No, because I don't believe in Keynesian economics and therefore disagree with this president on his prescriptions for this economic mess, I am a racist. That has to be the single laziest argument I've ever read in my life. You're going to have to do a lot better than that. Hell, I'm not even a Republican, and I can tell you that this president is an economic disaster. We have spent literally trillions in stimulus money and jobs have yet to come anywhere close to pre-2009 levels. Yet I'm a racist for pointing out these inconvenient numbers. Go figure.

Third, you are sitting here talking about your five years as a social worker trying to help people get jobs. So what? What I'm telling you is that studies by the truckload have shown that single-parent families mean poorer education for children. So a large percentage of the people you've spent all these years trying to mainstream into the workforce are in that pickle precisely because society has accepted single-parent families and ignored their long-term societal consequences.

Children of single-parent households are far less educated than children of two-parent households, black and white. So they are ill-prepared to enter the workforce. So they have a much harder time finding jobs. So they have to endure more poverty. See how it works? It is a stupid, stupid, self-perpetuating cycle that almost guarantees poverty no matter how many Federal programs get ginned up to address it. And instead of simply admitting to the cold hard statistical facts, you sit there and defend it when we point out the obvious in hopes that a long-term solution can be achieved. But just continuing to do the same thing over and over again and pouring more and more money into programs that have not solved the problem over the past half-century is certainly not the answer.

Last edited by cpg35223; 02-03-2013 at 04:33 PM..

Old 02-03-2013, 04:30 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,173,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freespiritbty View Post
Keep reaching and projecting. My goodness you are desperate. I'll reiterate one more time, dumb font: your comparison of Africans and Caribbeans vs black true Americans isn't comparable. Black Americans do not aspire to be third worlders and marriages. Work on your pressed issues since your time wasting efforts of posting videos of third world weddings as if that was proof, lmbo. I wasn't impressed and you proved my point with your idiotic and transparent responses, lol. No ones aspires to be those people, especially since their counties are in disarray. Lastly, just like latina7 & the other racists in this thread and on issues regarding black community, your opinion is invalid, and regarded as trash like the other racists. Your kind you love to brag, but leeches of the black community when your kind immigrates to America. Jealous? of the likes of third world immigrants and descendants? never. I've no need to immigrate to Africa and the Caribbean for a better life.
I'll just repost. Clearly you have an inferiority complex. No one is making the comparisons that you are stating...try to get a handle on your anger, jealousy and prejudice.

1. My first comparison was of African/African descended immigrant to Hispanic immigrants to address the comments by Latina7.

2. The next comparison was of Africans to African descendants in the Caribbean, Latin American and the United States. That is in order to show the breakdown likely based on experiences of African descendants in the West over the generations. It's not just the African-American community that has had difficulties in this area. You all are NOT the only ethnic group in the diaspora. Once you grasp that you won't make foolish assumptions about what people are comparing or implying.

3. No one is bragging but rather appreciating. You seem angry that other people are coming to the U.S. and achieving. Once again, learn to read and comprehend.

Old 02-03-2013, 04:34 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,173,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Something doesn't smell quite right...

Interesting that the OP's story does not add up to her previous posts and descriptions about who she really is.

The OP has either misrepresented herself in this thread or in her previous threads as either being a Black woman married to a White man (in this thread) or as a half Mexican/half White woman who is a single mom with the children's father being Black.

1) The original post in this thread

2) In a post on 08-18-2012, 06:35 PM she started a thread by writing this....

3) In a post from 08-01-2012, 10:57 AM she wrote this...

4) And on 07-26-2012, 05:34 PM she started a thread by writing this....

5) On 12-12-2012, 10:55 PM she started a thread with the following post....
Wooooooooooooowww!!! SMH.

Old 02-03-2013, 04:38 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,532,193 times
This troll thread (as most are regarding Black people) was created solely for the purpose of bashing Black people. Nothing more and nothing less. Those who HATE Black people will NEVER acknowledge the factor that class and socioeconomic status plays greatly into one's life choices. In their minds ALL Black people are ignorant and from the ghetto while ALL White people live in mansions and hold PhDs.

"We" need to stop seeking the approval and validation of people who literally despise us. In general, most White people HATE Black people. Accept it. Believe it. Deal with it. Do what you need to do to succeed in spite of it. No, White people DO NOT want Black people to have as much (or more) than they do. When Black people accept that fact then "we" will be able to move on and will prosper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates