Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 10:30 AM

1,084 posts, read 1,547,686 times

Advertisements

The old attitude was laziness breeds an attitude whereby you have to trick other people into giving you their money. These days this attitude is applauded. It's good to get your money to work for you.

But I'm not saying you should be considered to be good just because you work hard. You have to look at what they do with their hard work. As an example, a 35 year old mother who spends 60 hours a week running her law practice and neglects her children: hard worker, bad person. Someone who spends all of their free time volunteering to help a lot of needy people: hard worker, good person. The thing is I don't see much connection between being a good person and being lazy. The key is to find a passion that you love enough to devote your life to. Be it your children, your school, your community, your church, your farm, even your business. Just be sure the end goal isn't your own selfishness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2011, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
A hard worker to me is a person who refuses to leech off others and wants to make something of themselves or provide for others. That's admirable.
If you work hard to line your own pockets that's selfish, not admirable.

Do you deserve to be rewarded for your hard work? Sure. But what is central to your work? WHY do you work so hard? So you can live better? Or to help other people?

Old 04-21-2011, 10:46 AM

596 posts, read 889,865 times
Ah yes, the proper way to judge people.

I judge people based on how much they mind their own business and don't ask me questions like, "WHY do you work so hard?"

Old 04-21-2011, 10:55 AM

Selfishness isn't good, no matter how hard you work.

Old 04-21-2011, 10:57 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,724,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smartalx View Post
The old attitude was laziness breeds an attitude whereby you have to trick other people into giving you their money. These days this attitude is applauded. It's good to get your money to work for you.

But I'm not saying you should be considered to be good just because you work hard. You have to look at what they do with their hard work. As an example, a 35 year old mother who spends 60 hours a week running her law practice and neglects her children: hard worker, bad person. Someone who spends all of their free time volunteering to help a lot of needy people: hard worker, good person. The thing is I don't see much connection between being a good person and being lazy. The key is to find a passion that you love enough to devote your life to. Be it your children, your school, your community, your church, your farm, even your business. Just be sure the end goal isn't your own selfishness.
Can't rep yet smartalx, but really great post here. I agree! I only have an issue with one thing in this post, and that's because I DO know a couple of moms who DO neglect their children a bit because of work. It is horribly unfortunate for some parents, because they HAVE to work a huge amount of hours, hence neglecting some aspects of their parenting. Several of these people don't have a choice. If they didn't neglect them in the amount of time they spend with them, they will be neglecting them in their basic needs, like food, clothing, housing, etc.

I know several moms who put in 60-80 hr weeks at their jobs, because they don't receive child support from their children's deadbeat dads. Ah, if only you knew what kind of provider and father someone was going to be before you married and/or had children with them. Unfortunately, that is not always the case. I can not fault a woman/mother for leaving a man who becomes lost in substance abuse, is abusive, or flat out worthless lazy. Sadly, that leaves her as the sole provider to her children and can cause her to neglect her children in certain areas.

Old 04-21-2011, 11:01 AM

Yeah, I tend to agree. Let's not forget the tide that in the past 50 years has made it a requirement that a family to be a 2 person income family.

Personally I would sacrifice a bit if comfort so I know my children won't be neglected.

Undersupervised kids create even more deadbeat dads.

Old 04-21-2011, 11:05 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,724,506 times
Yes, it is....because not all people who work hard on the job are good people. Is an "over achiever" in the office, who bullies his wife and children, and looks down on others with arrogance and contempt, a good person, just because he works hard at his place of employment? Not in this poster's eyes.

Sadly, there are some incredibly wonderful people out there who are flat out lazy....and that's their only visible flaw, but they are judged on their, ahem....lack of motivation. Also...we all have our own opinions of what makes someone a truly good person....beauty really is in the eye of the beholder.

Old 04-21-2011, 11:10 AM

I think part of the problem is everyone is so individualistic. *"You have your career.". "I want my career.". *And the kids aren't included. *In the old days the father and mother would work together! *And they would raise their kids to work with them. *Kids would have supervision and learn respect of their elders and of hard work and they couldn't get into (as much) trouble (as they do now.). We should return to that. Both mother and father want to work? *Fine. *Work together. *And raise your kids from birth to assume they will take up the family business. *They might decide not to. *That's okay. *As long as they learn the lesson that family comes first. *That your family should bevinxluded in your life and your life should be included in your family.

Old 04-21-2011, 11:13 AM

596 posts, read 889,865 times
Ok, let me ask this a different way. Let's separate laziness and hard working from earning money.

How would you compare a hard-working stay-at-home mom to a lazy stay-at-home mom.

The first one gets up early, cleans house, cooks breakfast, gets kids ready for school. Goes to school with them and volunteers in the school office. She is close to the kids' teachers as she spends a lot of time at the school. Some days she volunteers at a homeless shelter. She helps the kids with their homework, has dinner ready in a clean home when dad gets home.

The second stay-at-home mom does none of these things. Spends all day watching TV, dinner is usually out of a box, house is a mess.

In all other ways, these two women are identical. Which one is a better person?

Old 04-21-2011, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
Also...we all have our own opinions of what makes someone a truly good person....beauty really is in the eye of the beholder.
I don't know about that. *If you disagree with my contention that selflessness is the embodiment of goodness and selfishness (and individualism) is the embodiment of badness, then I think you are wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates