Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 07:25 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times

Advertisements

What do you mean when you say that somebody "worked hard to get what they got"?

Person A is a villager in Indonesia, and destroys his body by the age of 40, bending over in a rice field all his life, for a dollar a day.

Person B sits in an ergonomic chair in a cubicle at a constant 72 degrees, wearing Gucci shoes, and makes as much money as 200 villagers.

Is Person B entitled to gloat "I worked hard for what I've got"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2009, 07:34 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,413,020 times
I dont think so. But thats me. I see a great difference between work & employment or earning money.

Old 04-28-2009, 07:43 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,254,467 times
You cannot compare wages and way of life in Indonesia to wages and way of life in the United States.

That is like comparing Apples to Hamburger

Old 04-28-2009, 07:53 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,603,652 times
The only way to compare dissimilar jobs is to expand the scope of the comparison to include all the individual components of environement, job tasks, task prerequisites, duration, physical, emotional and psychological factors.

A labor intensive task may actually be much "easier" than another mental task might be when evaluated on the basis of stress and physical well being. I would much rather dig my own post hole than to lobby congress for funding to hire a post hold digger.

Old 04-28-2009, 07:55 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,554,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
What do you mean when you say that somebody "worked hard to get what they got"?

Person A is a villager in Indonesia, and destroys his body by the age of 40, bending over in a rice field all his life, for a dollar a day.

Person B sits in an ergonomic chair in a cubicle at a constant 72 degrees, wearing Gucci shoes, and makes as much money as 200 villagers.

Is Person B entitled to gloat "I worked hard for what I've got"?
It's entirely relative...as in most similar topics. Can an American claim to live in a "free country"? Can a person say he's had "good health"? Can the average person in the US say he 'can't afford' new shoes?....or 'can't afford' a new car?....or 'can't afford' a trip to Paris? Are most people's kids "good kids"?

All of these are common statements, and ENTIRELY relative. It depends upon who's saying it....to whom they're speaking....and what it's being compared to.

Person B, (above), if talking to his Congressman..or to his brother who makes $10 per hour because that's all he WANTS to do....or to the 'boss's son' who came into the organization last week 'at the top'....could, in all seriousness, claim that he had "worked hard for what he's got".

If he was speaking to the Indonesian farmer, he'd sound a little silly saying that...and would probably be better seved by saying, "Fortunately, I've been able to make a LOT of money by working at a lucrative job in a wealthy nation"....or better yet, he should talk with the Indonesian about the weather.

Old 04-28-2009, 08:12 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,053,112 times
Going to work doing the same thing every day, seeing the stupid present in your coworkers and your boss, without going insane is hard work in itself.

Old 04-28-2009, 08:23 PM

806 posts, read 2,959,742 times
I worked hard to get to the position I'm at now, I truly believe that my hard work in school, life, and my willingness to work 80hr. weeks and such has led me to the quality of life I enjoy now. It was a mental and physical strain but you can't compare my work to someone like the Indonesian farmer. The farmer lacks the mental attributes needed and also may be hampered down by an impossible social system.

Old 04-28-2009, 08:32 PM

71 posts, read 184,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
You cannot compare wages and way of life in Indonesia to wages and way of life in the United States.
That is like comparing Apples to Hamburger
I agree. You'd have to compare person B to other people who were given the same opportunities.

We will never know if person A could have risen to the same level as
person B if he had been born in the U.S. ,received a good education, etc.

So I guess the answer to your question is no. Person B is not entitled to claim "I worked hard for what I got" if he is comparing himself to person A.

But he can make this claim if he is comparing himself to other people who had the same opportunities.

Old 04-28-2009, 08:33 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,554,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSU Tiger Z71 View Post
I worked hard to get to the position I'm at now, I truly believe that my hard work in school, life, and my willingness to work 80hr. weeks and such has led me to the quality of life I enjoy now. It was a mental and physical strain but you can't compare my work to someone like the Indonesian farmer. The farmer lacks the mental attributes needed and also may be hampered down by an impossible social system.
Don't be so sure about the farmer's 'mental attributes'. He may be a dullard.or he MAY be a borderline genius. But even a borderline genius can't overcome a stifling social system, a lack of access to education, and grinding poverty making it virtually impossible for someone to 'move' around in social class.

Had Albert Einstein been born in a tent in Uzbekhistan, or as the child of a low-caste laborer in India, quite likely he'd have remained there for his entire life. Einstein did great things....but he also lived in a 'system' which allowed him to flourish.

Old 04-28-2009, 08:37 PM

806 posts, read 2,959,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Don't be so sure about the farmer's 'mental attributes'. He may be a dullard.or he MAY be a borderline genius. But even a borderline genius can't overcome a stifling social system, a lack of access to education, and grinding poverty making it virtually impossible for someone to 'move' around in social class.

Had Albert Einstein been born in a tent in Uzbekhistan, or as the child of a low-caste laborer in India, quite likely he'd have remained there for his entire life. Einstein did great things....but he also lived in a 'system' which allowed him to flourish.
Indeed.

I'm not sure if I worded my response correctly. I didn't mean to give you that impression.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates