Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 09:26 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,341,511 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
What is "Hard Work"
Digging a hole large enough to roll two sets of 20" house-moving dolly wheels under a fifty year old Texas Panhandle house with short handled shovel in the middle of July? Backing a semi truck with a 40' container down 35 train flat cars 17 times then using a fifty pound impact wrench to tie each container down in the middle of January? Working in an unheated/non-cooled machine shop in hot and humid east Texas where your face and hands were black with cast iron dust at the end of each day?

I'm sorry but I will have to gloat. The poor Indonesian fellow has nothing over many Americans who have truly worked hard for what they have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2009, 09:47 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Nothing is relative. Work is hard, or is it not hard. Compare Work with Work. Why is that so difficult?

Old 04-28-2009, 10:04 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,551,829 times
Quote:
Nothing is relative. Work is hard, or is it not hard. Compare Work with Work. Why is that so difficult?
It's difficult because if nothing is relative, then how can we compare work with work? If you mean it would be harder to dig a canal with a teaspoon than with a shovel, then obviously that would be a comparison of 'work vs work'. But you'd have to mention how LONG it took, as well as how FRUSTRATING, to truly compare the two.

Other than that, are you looking for 'unpleasantness'? Does a worker in a sewer plant, with all its smells, who makes $50 K per year, work "harder" than a guy scooping "yummy" ice cream in an air-conditioned diner who makes $18 K per year? Does a logger in Washington who works in heavy clothing in drenching rain, work "harder" than a construction worker in California, who earns exactly th SAME salary, but works in shorts?

How does one compare "work with work" when nothing is relative?

"Hard work", for me, would be running a day care service for squalling toddlers. That would be IMMEASURABLY harder than raking hot asphalt, or mixing concrete, or cutting brush. ANY of those things, in my opinion, would be MUCH easier than changing diapers and wiping noses and breaking up 'squabbles'.

Old 04-28-2009, 10:12 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times
Quote:
You are suggesting though that everyone should get paid the same regardless of where they are -

That is irrational.

Old 04-28-2009, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
You are suggesting though that everyone should get paid the same regardless of where they are -

That is irrational.
No, Im not suggesting that at all. My post is only one line long. Read it:

"Nothing is relative. Work is hard, or it is not hard. Compare Work with Work. Why is that so difficult?"

Class, can somebody help him?

Old 04-28-2009, 10:34 PM

1,577 posts, read 1,955,807 times
Work is hard work when you go 6 hrs into your shift so focused on what you are doing you haven't had anything to eat yet and realize when it is time to go home that you've had to go the washroom for hours.

Old 04-28-2009, 10:36 PM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
Quote:
What do you mean when you say that somebody "worked hard to get what they got"?

Person A is a villager in Indonesia, and destroys his body by the age of 40, bending over in a rice field all his life, for a dollar a day.

Person B sits in an ergonomic chair in a cubicle at a constant 72 degrees, wearing Gucci shoes, and makes as much money as 200 villagers.

Is Person B entitled to gloat "I worked hard for what I've got"?
Bet that Indonesian wishes they were here working hard for a better life. Isn't that why people immigrate here? Isn't that why they've always done it? For the opportunity to work hard for a better life?

Didn't the Gucci shoe guy work hard in school to do better than his classmates, not drop out, have a baby out of wedlock, probably finish college so he could have the opportunity to be comfortable in life.

Aren't there any now rich Indonesians who worked their way out of poverty or were they all born to royalty and wealth?

Old 04-28-2009, 10:37 PM

1,577 posts, read 1,955,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
Digging a hole large enough to roll two sets of 20" house-moving dolly wheels under a fifty year old Texas Panhandle house with short handled shovel in the middle of July? Backing a semi truck with a 40' container down 35 train flat cars 17 times then using a fifty pound impact wrench to tie each container down in the middle of January? Working in an unheated/non-cooled machine shop in hot and humid east Texas where your face and hands were black with cast iron dust at the end of each day?

I'm sorry but I will have to gloat. The poor Indonesian fellow has nothing over many Americans who have truly worked hard for what they have.
Wow thats impressive. I've always respected people who work hard with their hands. I'm a small guy and its best I stick with the tough mental work. Your post reminded me of the History Channel show Ice Road Truckers...

Old 04-28-2009, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Bet that Indonesian wishes they were here working hard for a better life. Isn't that why people immigrate here? Isn't that why they've always done it? For the opportunity to work hard for a better life?

Didn't the Gucci shoe guy work hard in school to do better than his classmates, not drop out, have a baby out of wedlock, probably finish college so he could have the opportunity to be comfortable in life.

Aren't there any now rich Indonesians who worked their way out of poverty or were they all born to royalty and wealth?
Of course not. They want to come here for our freedom. Every fool knows that. What, did you skip third grade the day that was covered?

Actually, those that do come expect to work a great deal less hard here. Not many jobs in the US of carrying 300-pound loads up rocky roads barefooted 12 hours a day, half a day off on Sunday. We save the really hard work for the Ivy League grads.

Not dropping out of school and not having a baby hardly qualifies as "hard work".

They were mostly born to wealth. In the third world, crime is a much quicker way than hard work to become economically well off. Come to think of it, it might be in the US, too.

Old 04-29-2009, 03:55 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,179,590 times
You're equating hard work only with what would be difficult physical labor to one unaccustomed to it.
Bending over picking rice may be easy enough for the Indonisian worker because he's used to it and may require nothing more than that physical ability....no decision making, no stress, no other ability.

A counterpart may spend years diligently studying,being faced with difficult choices, completing whatever necessary tasks are required, forfeiting 'fun' times and even perhaps proper sleep in order to reach a goal.
He has 'worked hard' for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates