Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 10:33 AM

90 posts, read 331,400 times

Advertisements

What should a professional do when a boss tells them to do something that is ill-logical, crazy, time wasting, and ill informed?

On occasion I have worked for bosses that were just plain insane and directed me to do something in a way that made no sense. Now I know we all have our favored ways of doing things and much of life's decisions include discretion, but some of these commands were just plain insane.

I would argue with the boss and try to convince them that their approach would not be effective and would cause the company harm and create waste and inefficiency. Maybe because their ego would not let them admit they were wrong and wanted to show me who was boss, they would not back down.

Usually I would just go ahead and do it like the boss said and then be told off when the results turned out exactly as I suspected. But in other cases I would go to his/her boss and try to get the decision overturned. I have never been successful and was fired once for going over the bosses head.

What is the logical thing to do in these situations where you are convinced the boss is wrong but their actions are not illegal? Anyone have luck going over the bosses head?

Last edited by political genius; 12-14-2008 at 10:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2008, 10:41 AM

3,088 posts, read 5,352,508 times
I confront this sort of "problem" in my job, almost daily. I have been hired as a professional in the field of horticulture, to oversee the extensive grounds of a very large and very ritzy retirement home. As the only person "on staff" with comprehensive knowledge of horticulture, one would think that my opinion, especially on "technical matters" might be given due weight, but I find that that is rarely the case, and I am instructed to do things that I know to be either "wrong", horticulturally speaking, or "stupid", financially speaking. I attempt to solve this dillema by giving my best professional advice, often several times, to several different people, and stressing the reasons why we should avoid unwise actions. If they still "insist" I will do what they ask, after formally producing a statement as to the expected outcome of this action. I make an exception to anything that I beleive to be either immoral or illegal (and yes, I have been asked to do things that fit these descriptions). I have always just flat refused, in that situation, and have never yet had to quit, to prove that I was in earnest.

Old 12-14-2008, 10:58 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
The boss pays you do do only one thing. He pays you to give 40 hours of your week to him, so he can have somebody that will do what he tells them to do.

I once worked in a union job, in which an emplolyee could not be required to do anything that was "dangerous, illegal, unethical, immoral, or humiliating". It said nothing about polntless, time-wasting, or unproductive.

If your boss appreciates your professional input into procedures, fine. If he doesn't, he doesn't.

Old 12-14-2008, 03:44 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
From your title I thought he was asking you to do something illegal. If he wants something done and you consider it the "wrong way to do it", then that is the way it is done while you work for that guy. Too bad he doesn't respect his employees enough to just tell them "what" needs to be done, and leave it to the employee to determine the "how".

Old 12-14-2008, 07:23 PM

613 posts, read 1,270,095 times
I would say something like, "well Ive never done it that way, can you show me?" And point out any problems, and give my opinion on it. This way you can teach the boss without initially insulting his authority. Also it could clear up any misunderstandings of what he ment. It's not very wise to work for someone that knows less then you, but if upper management is on their side it's possible that you're wrong or don't understand what is asked of you. Either or, I would seek alternitive employment for not being listened and atleast corrected in a logical manner.

Old 12-14-2008, 07:51 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,538,194 times
Completely depends on the situation.

For me, I ask myself if this will jepordize my job or will it unduely hurt another. If so, I either refuse or document it very well. Otherwise, I document it and do what I'm told to do.

Old 12-14-2008, 11:19 PM

922 posts, read 1,908,230 times
Default different ideas

It takes TACT, the ability to make it there idea without sounding challenging. also, remember your place, if you dont own the company, then start your own. obviously you can do better

Old 12-14-2008, 11:29 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 19,999,259 times
If it's illegal or morally wrong to me I will not do it and I'll simply tell them that if I can't do it in good conscience, I won't do it, period. If that means losing my job, so be it. *shrug*

Old 12-14-2008, 11:36 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,347,484 times
If the job he or she is asking you to do could potentially blow up and make you look like an a$$, I would send him/her an email detailing why you think you shouldn't be doing the task the way you were told, and suggesting a way you would prefer to do it. If they tell you not to do it your way, the go ahead and do what you are told. They are the boss after.

But, if the $hi hits the fan, you have documentation that you did not feel the way you were doing the task was not appropriate or had suggested a better way but were shot down, which may work out in your favor later.

We are not talking about immoral types of behavior or breaking the law, are we?

Old 12-14-2008, 11:39 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,617,651 times
We had really bad management and were all flustrated with the lack of knowledge and the changing of the rules daily. One lady expressed herself in a polite but truthful way to the boss. She said, "I must have done it wrong; I did what I was told."

The problem was that the boss did not know what she was doing and when what she had told you to do went wrong, it was always your fault. I think a lot of people have to deal with bosses like this. Good question, but I don't know the answer. I tried to always get my instructions in writing. I just told her I needed it to refer back to when I was working.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates