Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 12:44 PM

615 posts, read 545,660 times

Advertisements

There is no hatred of the English. I do have an intense dislike for the pompous "know it all type" English that seem to be prevalent in the UK and its diaspora. I've always believed the true mark of an ignorant person is one who thinks he knows it all.

Old 06-15-2010, 01:13 PM

50 posts, read 135,282 times
I don't see hardly any Anti-English sentiment here in America. Personally, I would absolutely love to live in England for a while.

However, I do get annoyed by the small amount of Brits that call all Americans fat and stupid.

But I wouldn't take what our *incompetent* President says as the thoughts of all American people. He sure does not represent MY thoughts.

Old 06-15-2010, 01:38 PM

1,638 posts, read 4,551,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Herman View Post
There is no hatred of the English. I do have an intense dislike for the pompous "know it all type" English that seem to be prevalent in the UK and its diaspora. I've always believed the true mark of an ignorant person is one who thinks he knows it all.
LOL-have to admit that the same applies to the US though, especially when it comes to knowledge of things that are non-american.

Old 06-15-2010, 02:21 PM

11,761 posts, read 14,665,428 times
Pick up the ball and run with it and people over here might change their minds.

Old 06-15-2010, 03:14 PM

148 posts, read 550,484 times
Wink American Dislike English Not this family or friends of this family

Quote:
Originally Posted by stecuk View Post
There was an article in a British newspaper recently that said Americans deep down really hate the English. It say that President Obama has always been anti English and this is now showing in the way he always says British Petroleum rather than BP which it now is. It says Hollywood always casts the baddies with English accents, and gives a few examples of films which show the English in the same light as the Nazis ie Braveheart and The Patriot.
It then went on to say that an Englishman on holiday overheard a group of Americans who thought no one else was around slagging off the English in general. It says English and not British as the Irish and Scots seem to be liked. It ends saying that the so called special relationship is only in the minds of British politicians and that we should stop supporting America politically.

I hope that this view is wrong as I love America even though I have not been there yet, I am hoping to visit with my family next year. So do you Americans really dislike us or is this article complete rubbish.
[10 post to link off site]

You know do not believe everything that you read or hear.. Hollywood gives American people a bad rap. Stero types us. Papers are probably selling fast. We can not understand some of your ways and you can not understand some of ours. thats good .. We all can not be alike. Who would want to be. we are upset about the BP accident. YOU would be to if it was coming to your shores. This was a accident waiting to happen for awhile. No matter what company it is. It is sad to see our part of the ocean being flooded with oil and the sea animals dieing . But, like I said we only get half truth on storys in newspaper or on the news. You can have 100 people in 1 room at a meeting and you will have a 100 different views when the meeting is over.Seems like nothing but bad news or people behaving bad is what everyone (most) wants to read or hear about. Nothing GOOD anymore (most)

Old 06-15-2010, 07:17 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,092,126 times
Americans do not equate BP with England. We are alert enough to know it is a multinational company with a large percentage of American stakeholders.

Americans, in general, don't have the "dislike for other countries" attitude that can sometimes be seen expressed among other nations. Americans tend to like everybody and want to travel and learn about other cultures. We don't dislike anyone as a whole. We are almost like puppy dogs--friendly and thinking we should be loved by all no matter if we jump on you with our muddy paws.

We do sometimes get riled about illegal entry--but we have welcomed many legal immigrants--from my German, Welsh, and Italian ancestors to Vietnamese to Somalis. We are mad at BP--

Old 06-15-2010, 08:57 PM

107 posts, read 287,382 times
Do not believe everything you read...."Americans deep down hate the English." No Way....

Old 06-15-2010, 10:21 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,701,466 times
Americans don't hate other countries.. generally. We are very open minded, if you meet an american they will most likely be your friend no matter who you are unless you give them a reason not too. Even if we meet someone from Iraq, we will give them the benefit of the doubt. I'm around a lot of foreigners from around the world who are on vacation because I live in Orlando. A lot of them say how they love coming here because of how out going we are, sometimes we will just randomly start a conversation with you if were waiting in line with you.

Its pretty sad, because if you go on youtube and watch a video about America. You will see the comments littered with people from different countries talking **** about how much America sucks and the people suck and were all evil fat lazy retards and how every other country is better than us. I bet none of those people have been to the US and experienced how nice we are... for the most part. Honestly I think a lot of them are envious.

Old 06-15-2010, 10:22 PM

9,472 posts, read 10,816,601 times
Quote:
There was an article in a British newspaper recently that said Americans deep down really hate the English. It say that President Obama has always been anti English and this is now showing in the way he always says British Petroleum rather than BP which it now is. It says Hollywood always casts the baddies with English accents, and gives a few examples of films which show the English in the same light as the Nazis ie Braveheart and The Patriot.
It then went on to say that an Englishman on holiday overheard a group of Americans who thought no one else was around slagging off the English in general. It says English and not British as the Irish and Scots seem to be liked. It ends saying that the so called special relationship is only in the minds of British politicians and that we should stop supporting America politically.

I hope that this view is wrong as I love America even though I have not been there yet, I am hoping to visit with my family next year. So do you Americans really dislike us or is this article complete rubbish.
[10 post to link off site]

The article is rubbish. We hear that the English dont like us in the press as well. I guess that sort of thing sells papers. Heck we have English names, we speak english, our system of law and goverment is based off of yours. We have cities and towns named Birmingham, Brighton, Manchester etc. all over this country. You may hear some pride in our accomplishments during our revolution, but I wouldnt take offense to that. Just a bit of national boasting the fact that we were able to win independence against all the odds. There are some internet idiots that you will see bash the Brits on these sites, but that is not how most of us feel. Like I said, many of us are direct decendants of English people, so hating the English is a bit like hating ourselves. History shows our strong ties to be enduring. During WW2 it was the Japanese that bombed us first, but the majority of US troops and material went to England instead of the Pacific. That says alot does it not? After we were attacked in 2001, English troops fought beside Americans in Afghanistan and Iraq, and most of us wont forget that. Americans do like the English, so come on over and see this country. While your here cross the border into Canada as well, very pretty up there.

Old 06-15-2010, 10:26 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,243,287 times
Quote:
Do Americans really hate the English
No.

The British media is making a much bigger deal out of the British ownership of BP than the American media is. There are a small handful of gadflies trying to get Americans up in arms about foreigners dumping oil on our beaches, but it's not really working. For the vast majority of us, the national origin of the responsible party falls very low on our list of immediate concerns.

In fact the English are our most valued colleagues in the timeless pastime of rubbishing the French.

Last edited by Drover; 06-15-2010 at 10:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates