Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2010, 12:35 PM

10,219 posts, read 15,939,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stecuk View Post
As the person who started this topic I got it and thought it was funny,although I would put up my team Manchester United the most famous FOOTBALL team in the world to beat any team you could put up.
I never really did think that Americans hated the English but I saw the article and wanted to start a discussion on it. I did put a web address for the article but it was removed, it was in a British paper called the Daily Mail and they are famous for making things worse than they really are for sensationalism. If you believe what they say you would think Britain hasn't a friend in the world and we are being taken over by Muslims.
I think on the whole American or US citizens as one poster said and the British do regard each other as cousins. There will always be some who disagree on both sides, but as Ive said earlier most of the people I know think America is a fantastic country and those who have visited think the people are very warm hearted and welcoming. The one thing that everyone does say though is that you talk very loudly, as I have found with the Americans I have met. But we don't necessarily think of this as a bad think just different than us. But we are thought of as reserved which is also true for example when you get married you say vows out loud to each other so everyone can hear, we would never do that we would say them in private.

Someone once said that in the startrek world Americans would be the humans and the English would be the vulcans, Chinese would be the Romulans don't know who would be the Klingons though, any suggestions?
I am now really looking forward to visiting New York next year.
I think the Romulans were based on the Romans. For the Klingons I'd say the Pakistanis or Iraqis.

Old 08-27-2010, 12:42 PM

I think the media in both the US and Britain (excluding Fox News and the WSJ) have a liberal bent and is anti-Western in general, especially the New York Times and the BBC. A lot of the US media also looks down on non-Northeast and non-California America especially the south and the midwest.

I don't know anyone who dislikes Britain. Britain is one of the foreign countries that Americans have the most favorable opinion of. I think France is the European that Americans view the most negatively by far. I view the Islamic countries the most negatively, followed by the Communist countries, followed by the countries that send illegal immigrants and drugs to America, followed by France. The 5 countries I dislike the most in no particular order are probably Saudi Arabia, Iran, Pakistan, Colombia and Russia.

Old 08-27-2010, 01:06 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,708,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe84323 View Post
And THIS is why people hate Americans... ignorant, conceited people from flyover country who feel the need to exert their dominance to make them feel better.

Just to let YOU know, there are many Californians who couldn't care less about Minnesota or Minnesota people!
Well the title of the thread is "Do Americans really hate the English?"

And I was just being honest. I really don't think about "England'', the "United Kingdom", "Great Britain" or whatever those crazies call it. "England" never really crosses my mind. The people are quiet and reserved it seems like. As a country, you never really hear much about "England".

Exert my dominance? What are you talking about? I need "exert my dominance to make me feel better?" And it's not about being conceited either. It was my honest answer. "No, I don't hate the English, they just aren't significant enough for me to ever really think about"

And that's great, but I don't care what Californians think. Some of that west coast insecurity shining through for you. In actuallity your state is flooded with fomer MN residents, so you're probably very wrong. Many of the implants that occupy your overcrowded, polluted state are former MN residents so they probably do in fact care about MN.

Old 08-27-2010, 08:34 PM

I AM curious though about how many Irish Americans supported the IRA during their terrorist campaign in Britain in the past few decades. I've read that many Irish Americans donated money to the IRA (I'd imagine this would be most common in places like South Boston or parts of Philadelphia) the way many American Muslims today support al-Qaeda and Hamas and give money to terrorists attacking Israel, wonder how accurate or widespread this is.

Old 08-28-2010, 08:46 AM

336 posts, read 908,810 times
I don't think there is anyone being kept awake at night pondering anti-English sentiment. And people can go weeks without the English even crossing their mind. Doesn't mean that we hate them though. We're just wrapped up in our own lives and our own problems. To some I'm sure that makes us "naive and pathetically uninformed".

Old 08-28-2010, 08:53 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,951,203 times
I think there is basically ZERO toward the british in the US, maybe the least amount after the Canadians. If anything I sense a slight bit of animousity the other way but think we are mostly pretty good friends...

Old 08-28-2010, 02:41 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,373,234 times
As an American having studied in and visited Britain (England and Scotland) several times for various durations over the last 30 years, it is my opinion that there is a lot more love for the English by Americans than there is for Americans by the English.

The interesting part of that is both American love for the English and English disdain for the Americans are based on serious misconceptions:

1. Americans love the English because of what they think they know about them.

2. The English disdain the Americans for what they think they know about them.

In other words, Americans should like the English a little bit less (stop drooling and being so deferential) and the English should like the Americans a little bit more (we are not all gun toting, obese, fundamentalist christians bent on world domination).

Old 08-28-2010, 07:48 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,569,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I think the Romulans were based on the Romans. For the Klingons I'd say the Pakistanis or Iraqis.
What I'd heard once it was a cold-war analogy. Although many of the terms and imagery of Romulans are Roman, in the "cold-war analogy" they're more the Chinese. The Klingons are the Russians.

In Star Trek The Next Generation it's a bit more like

Ferengi - Post-war Japanese or possibly 19th c. Americans. (Sexist, lustful, greedy)

Vulcans - Jews (Partly because Nimoy is Jewish and they incorporated Jewish things into the Vulcans, this predates TNG)

Klingons - Mix of Pre-war Japanese and Arabs. (Like the Japanese lots about honor, duty, and ritual suicide. Arabs in that their religion comes from a prophetic figure and some of their clannish cultural elements)

Romulans - More directly Chinese in TNG. Their costumes start looking a bit more like Mao suits, or something, than Roman garb. Also talk about their isolationist tendencies, etc.

Cardassians - Any number of Third World military dictatorships seems possible. Maybe Fascist Italy too in having a once great culture that left many in poverty.

Bajorans - Tibetans.

Old 08-28-2010, 08:38 PM

6,081 posts, read 9,120,563 times
I love the English!!!

Old 08-29-2010, 12:04 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,569,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
As an American having studied in and visited Britain (England and Scotland) several times for various durations over the last 30 years, it is my opinion that there is a lot more love for the English by Americans than there is for Americans by the English.

The interesting part of that is both American love for the English and English disdain for the Americans are based on serious misconceptions:

1. Americans love the English because of what they think they know about them.

2. The English disdain the Americans for what they think they know about them.

In other words, Americans should like the English a little bit less (stop drooling and being so deferential) and the English should like the Americans a little bit more (we are not all gun toting, obese, fundamentalist christians bent on world domination).
I think that's true. Odd thing is we both see things of each other that don't fit those stereotypes, but we still maintain them. I think many British are at least aware of our shows like Friends and Sex and the City, which portray sexually promiscuous urban sophisticates who probably have never held a gun and rarely go to church. You don't see as much outright bashing of Christianity or God in American TV as you do in British, but there is Family Guy and maybe House to a lesser degree. In the US it's not hard to find British programs that involve something like the British version of "white trash" or has British people who clearly dislike America, but we still seem to see them just as classy educated people who are on our side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates