Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 11:57 AM

7 posts, read 58,751 times

Advertisements

We are considering a move there, we have to take into account schools, housing, what does the town have to offer? And if not Dalton,what are some great alternate towns nearby within driving distance for work to Dalton. thanks so much!!

Old 01-23-2007, 03:58 PM

79 posts, read 416,280 times
Default Consider Chattanooga

Hi,

I have never lived in Dalton, but have friends who do. None of them like it, and are trying to move out. They just say it's run-down.

However, I grew up in Chattanooga, thirty miles north. (I also visit there frequently.) I think it's a wonderful city, with a low cost of living. There are several outstanding magnet schools in the area, and top private schools. Chattanooga is also a beautiful city.

My husband considered a job in Dalton at one point, and if he took it, we would have lived in Chattanooga.

Best of luck!

Old 01-23-2007, 10:55 PM

31 posts, read 149,190 times
carpet, latinos who used to work in carpet industry, bad schools, cheap housing, the town has nothing to offer as far as i know

i would just live in a rural area near there and avoid the town

Old 01-25-2007, 04:38 PM

7 posts, read 58,751 times
So, if Dalton is NOT the place to move to but the job were interested in is in Dalton, where should we live, Can someone please give me some nice towns within 30 mins or so of Dalton? Thanks so much!

Old 01-25-2007, 05:04 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,485,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sosoxk View Post
So, if Dalton is NOT the place to move to but the job were interested in is in Dalton, where should we live, Can someone please give me some nice towns within 30 mins or so of Dalton? Thanks so much!
--Chattanooga, TN would be my first choice

or

--Rome, GA
http://www.google.com/maps?q=Dalton,...i=map&ct=title

Old 01-26-2007, 07:46 AM

13 posts, read 62,360 times
I spent a couple years in Dalton a while back. There were several carpet execs I knew of that lived in Cartersville, GA. Cartersville is a 45 minute drive straight south on I-75, so it's a long commute, but traffic isn't a problem with the exception of the semi's running 80mph through there. Cartersville is also a quick drive from the northern Atlanta suburbs for shopping, dining, entertainment, etc.

Even though I grew up in Atlanta and lived in Dalton, I don't know much about Catersville itself, so maybe someone else can provided comments on what it's like to live there. I will say this, though: I would NEVER move back to Dalton!!!!

Old 01-31-2007, 06:28 PM

27 posts, read 174,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sosoxk View Post
BHS is right on the money. Live in Chattanooga. Dalton is really not a very good place to live. Chattanooga has made great strides in the last few years. It has a great downtown park with a pedestrian bridge spanning the river and a good museum, a live theatre venue and an aquarium you can walk to from there.You can hop on I-75 and it is a straight shot to Dalton.

Old 02-01-2007, 06:47 AM

1,755 posts, read 5,681,397 times
My buddy works at Shaw, lives in Cartersville, south of Dalton. Think it's a 30-40 minute drive, which is nothing around here, considering that's w/ no traffic. Calhoun is also South of Dalton but a little closer.

Cartersville would be smack dead in the middle b/t Atlanta and Dalton if you still want to be close enough to hit Atlanta on the weekends. Plus if he transfers to Atlanta it is still a very do-able drive, by Atlanta standards

Old 02-08-2007, 02:44 PM

4 posts, read 26,723 times
I was born and raised in Dalton. Although, I do live in Chatsworth due to me wanting a lot of land with my home. I love Dalton, it's not too big or small, it's diversified in culture and a great place to raise children for that reason. It offers great golf with 4 public courses and two private ones. Carters lake is only 20 min, from Dalton. Work is always steady and, the city continues to grow.

Old 02-08-2007, 02:50 PM

89 posts, read 122,082 times
Chattanoogas a much nicer city to live in. Daltons very run down but you can always find work there if you dont mind factory jobs.But it is the carpet capitol of the world so I guess theres some bragging rights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia