Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 03:53 PM

1,418 posts, read 10,188,410 times

Advertisements

Of the towns in and around Dalton, Dalton is probably better than some of the others. It is more or less a factory town, pretty good amount of illegal mexicans living around there too. It's big enough to live and work in, even if you aren't from around there. They have some decent restaurants, an outlet mall, some stores. Even though it's "North Georgia", somehow, Dalton didn't get the scenery that the more mountianous cities have.

The area that is really pretty over that ways is Lookout Mountain, just southwest of Chattanooga. If I could, I'd work in Chattanooga and buy me some acerage on top of the Bluff up there. Only problem is, once you get that close to Tennessee, might as well live in Tennessee 'cause they don't have that stupid state income tax, like Georgia.

Old 02-10-2007, 08:23 PM

6 posts, read 61,388 times
Smile Catoosa the Gateway to Georgia

You might consider the Ringgold/Tunnel Hill area. That is where we moved our family to in 2000 and plan to retire here. That says alot considering we lived in 4 states in the 6 years before we moved here in 2000. Catoosa County has great schools, low crime, beautiful scenery and the list goes on. One of the things we find most attractive about it is that we can live here in a rural setting yet we are only 10-15 minutes from downtown Chattanooga or Dalton. My husband works in Chattanooga and most of the people in our area work at one of the carpet mills in the Dalton area or in Chattanooga. I am very proud of the school my children attend as well. Tiger Creek is the best elementary school in the world (in my own opinion). Check the area out for yourself. Good Luck, Soulshine

Old 02-13-2007, 02:18 PM

6 posts, read 59,093 times
Exclamation Good Luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosoxk View Post
So, if Dalton is NOT the place to move to but the job were interested in is in Dalton, where should we live, Can someone please give me some nice towns within 30 mins or so of Dalton? Thanks so much!
I've lived in Dalton for all 23 years of my life. Now Dalton is over 50% hispanic, because the carpet mills here were hiring hispanics illegally. There were actual Signs at the border saying come to Dalton GA. In other words if you're not bilingual, it's extremely hard to get job. If you go to Walmart you're going to have to stand in line for an hour. Also Dalton has a drug problem maybe because there's nothing here to do. Or it's being brought with the illegal immigrants. Also there's a high rate of teen pregnancys and STD's. Maybe Fort Oglethorpe, Ellijay is in the country but a little farther drive. Chattanooga is the closest city but may be developing a gang problem. Calhoun is south but they have a drug problem also. Any of the cities listed would be better than dalton.sorry for sounding so negative.

Old 04-08-2007, 05:56 PM

1 posts, read 26,726 times
I lived in Dalton for 25+ years, and when I moved there the schools were first rate. I don't think that's true any more, but you should check with the State offices that keep those statistics. Dalton is a county seat, so there are lots of civil servants, there's the College, and the major employers continue to be Shaw Industries and Mohawk--carpet companies. There is not much in the way of entertainment, restaurants, shopping except for the usual chains. On the positive side, the countryside is beautiful and if you like hiking, mountain biking, camping--you'll be well-located. I grew up in a large city, and I found the Dalton natives pretty clannish. For alternatives I would consider Chattanooga, a progressive small city with some fine schools. So much depends on what's important to you.

Old 04-10-2007, 05:32 PM

3 posts, read 33,179 times
dalton's downtown is in the renewal process, there's some good stuff going on, a few good restaurants and nice shops, however it was built around the carpet mills and isn't the most attractive in all areas, though some are quite nice. schools however, from an educator's perspective are excellent, check out their record, it's awesome and their programs are innovative and effective, I would drive 30 minutes to send my kid there. Chattanooga is a great city, lots of great restaurants and shops lots of culture and fun free stuff to do, also quite safe downtown (be wary of some outlying areas) a nice 30 minute drive. Schools there are not nearly as good though, even most magnet schools, a few are great (it can be hard to get in) cost of living about the same (I've lived in both places)

Old 04-10-2007, 10:05 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,872,549 times
I ditto the Chattanooga thing.

Lots of stuff to do there and it's not that far from Dalton. You can live in the Southern Chattanooga metro area and still be in Georgia by the way (the city sits right on the TN/GA boarder). That way you'd be a few minutes closer to Dalton for work, avoid the incoming traffic into Chattanooga, but still be technically right there in Chattanooga anyway, too so you can enjoy the city and what it offers.

Old 05-27-2007, 02:10 PM

1 posts, read 26,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sosoxk View Post
We are considering a move there, we have to take into account schools, housing, what does the town have to offer? And if not Dalton,what are some great alternate towns nearby within driving distance for work to Dalton. thanks so much!!
First, to answer your questions.

Education:
I believe the elementary schools are par. The high schools are ridiculous & the college, which is Dalton State College, is a waste of tuition. It's a good transfer school & the classes are small enough to where the professors know each student by name & they care very much about them, but the education one would receive there is not work the paper the degree is printed on. Also, administration & their respective staffing are not focused on where there institution is wanting to go. They are mis-informed all the time & their curriculum is a joke. Yes, they have one of the best English requirements in Georgia, but the rest of the core classes don't follow through.

Entertainment:
It's the belt buckle of the Bible belt so there is not much to do that is "questionable" in the eyes of the Lord. No drinking on Sundays, youth curfew, & did I mention that Dalton, GA was one of the top 5 cities leading in meth production?? Have fun with that. Like everyone else says, it's huge Carpet mill plantation so, it's not really lively at night. Before we had 2 Wal-marts, the Wal-mart was the place to hang out at night for the teens.

Restaurants:
Your typical franchise places like McDonald's, KFCs, Sonics, Applebee's, Chili's, & etc. Some small mom & pop country kitchens are here as well as your share of Mexican restaurants. No, I'm not racist, they are all noted as "Mexican eateries" in their signs if they are from Mexico or not.

Housing:
It's cheap. Land is cheap. I live in Atlanta... Dalton's land & housing prices are very cheap.

Ringgold, which is 30 minutes from Dalton is quite, boring, but super great to raise a family with the same cheap housing. Again, there is absolutely nothing to do in Ringgold, but to drive 5 minutes over the broder to Chattanooga, TN.

Dalton has more to offer in terms of comfort if you like stuff that you might need to get like groceries & furniture close at hand, but nothing much more to do there. Yes, there are small shops, a very small mall, a plaza, & restaurants, but nothing like a small metro city can offer. Again, Dalton is a carpet mill town. If you are hoping for technology jobs or big business jobs, forget about it.

If you are going to live in Chattanooga, TN, you might as well work there.

As for people saying there are no jobs in Dalton, GA because all the Mexicans are taking them, you are either too picky or too lazy about the jobs you want. You can get a job in Dalton. It may not be glamorous, but it's a job. Quit blaming others for your laziness. Think of it this way, why would a multi-million dollar company hire people who can't communicate, read instructions, or take orders in English? It would cost them more to repair any damages they do wrong because of mis-communications then to pay a couple of bucks more to a high school dropout... which is about 40% of Dalton's population... the rest are APPARENTLY illegals. You disgust me. If people that don't know the English language & still get a job involving English everyday all around them, yet a natural born citizen that can read & write English perfectly can't, what does that say about the citizen? Yes, Dalton has a very large Latino population, but if you don't want to work in the mills they will & the mills have been keeping Dalton from becoming a ghost town.

I was born & raised in Dalton. I've moved out of that place & have never looked back. Dalton is a small town with no hope of proper growth. Just this past month, I've came back to visit family & friends there & I look to see that there are two Starbucks being built, yet no "decent" public park for the children & families, no clean clinics, nor entertainment for the weekends. It's a lost cause. If the mills go, so does the town.

Old 07-30-2007, 01:15 PM

2 posts, read 32,126 times
Default Considering moving to Dalton?

Dalton is a great place to live and raise a family. I wouldn't live anywhere else. Don't listen to those desperate Chattanooga guys. Come & see for yourself. Stop in and eat at a Downtown restaurant in each town and see which one you like best.

Old 08-16-2007, 01:43 PM

1 posts, read 25,958 times
Default Dalton is a Great Place to Live!

I think it's amazing that people whose lives are transient can spend a LITTLE time in a town like Dalton and then blast it... when people like myself who have lived here all our lives recognize it for its many attributes. Don't let someone who was looking for a metro area or a vacation town... trash the name of a growing town that still has small town values!

You want info in schools, etc?

Look up schools data at HomeFair.com

Look up demographic/weather etc. stats by looking up Dalton GA at .: OnBoard Neighborhood Navigator :.= where you'll also see our temperate weather! You don't get many frozen winters here and the average high in summer is under 90F. We have a conspicuous absence of earthquakes, tornadoes, hurricanes, floods, etc.

Nestled between mountains, there's easy access to I-75 for Chattanooga or Atlanta. The roads are in great shape, there's a great mall, and the NW Georgia Trade and Convention Center. Kayaking not far away, and an amazing plethora of choices for internet, cable and telephone.

There are lots of sources of information online about Dalton... and people should consider many sources rather than a few disgruntled transients.

Dalton is worth considering.

Moderator cut: Removed

Ya'll come see us!

Last edited by xxman777; 08-16-2007 at 02:48 PM.. Reason: Advertising

Old 08-18-2007, 01:07 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,033,429 times
Chattanooga is probably your best option. Consider the southern suburbs on the Georgia side such as Rossville and Ringold... that will give you quicker access to I75, and yet you will be close to CHattanooga. The city is a perfect size and has a great downtown. There's lots to do around Chattanooga if your into the outdoors. In fact it has become a major weekend getway spot for ppl in Metro Atlanta. YOu will find the cost of living is much lower than Atlanta and you will be closer to the job in Dalton.

I have been to Dalton several times.. and found it to be very run down.. it really reminded me a lot of a smaller version of Augusta. It is also a one industry town.. Carpet. so it's not a really diversified or vibrant city economincally. IT has also had a lot of problems with a huge influx of illegal immigrants looking for work in the carpet mills..some areas of Dalton look like Barrios in Mexico.
Really, I think you will be much happier in the Chattanooga area.. and your commute will not be that bad.. probably 30 mins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia