Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who is the next rising star of Georgia?
Augusta 26 39.39%
Macon 12 18.18%
Columbus 28 42.42%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2019, 06:55 PM

1,388 posts, read 2,255,904 times

Advertisements

I don't see this as an either/or proposition. All 3 are in far better shape than when I moved to Ga 16 years ago. Augusta has the largest population, Macon has the better historic "bones" IMO, Columbus has the best riverwalk although Augusta has one too. Macon's river is nowhere close. Macon and Columbus have better proximity to Atlanta. I have spent time in all 3 and think they all are finally embracing their strengths. None will "break out" and compare with Savannah or Charleston, but all 3 beat the coast on cost of housing.

I enjoy visiting both Columbus and Augusta. I have fun there and of course like Macon. It isn't a zero sum game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2019, 07:02 PM

1,054 posts, read 881,115 times
Exactly midgeorgia, not an either-or situation at all, more of an "one for all, all for one".

Old 05-20-2019, 07:29 PM

2,250 posts, read 2,162,785 times
Quote:
But I think Augusta's larger population will drive more downtown growth than Columbus will be able to keep pace with. That's kind of true to a lesser extent with Macon (if we look at the total M-WR pop, WR is close enough that a revitalized Macon will begin capturing a lot of residents).

Columbus 25m radius pop: 305k
Macon 25m radius pop: 412k
Augusta 25m radius pop: 596k
I believe your numbers has everything to do with Columbus and Auburn being two separate urban area's. Augusta urban area includes its CSA,which is why it doesn't have a real one,only a metropolitan area. Macon was the same way until Warner Robins became its on MSA in 2003.

Old 05-20-2019, 08:10 PM

297 posts, read 259,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgeorgiaman View Post
I don't see this as an either/or proposition. All 3 are in far better shape than when I moved to Ga 16 years ago. Augusta has the largest population, Macon has the better historic "bones" IMO, Columbus has the best riverwalk although Augusta has one too. Macon's river is nowhere close. Macon and Columbus have better proximity to Atlanta. I have spent time in all 3 and think they all are finally embracing their strengths. None will "break out" and compare with Savannah or Charleston, but all 3 beat the coast on cost of housing.

I enjoy visiting both Columbus and Augusta. I have fun there and of course like Macon. It isn't a zero sum game.
Midgeorgiaman, You are spot on with this assessment! These cities need to continue their revitalization efforts and they will be absolutely fine; some will appreciate the growth and enjoy what they now have to offer, and some will not. I don’t think they will ever get the outward recognition of Savannah, but their focus should be continuing to build on their respective strengths. I most recently lived in Columbus (now Decatur) and when friends would come to visit they were actually shocked with what all was going on there. I also enjoy Macon and Augusta as well and recognize the efforts being made to improve each. I was in your city just last week and thoroughly enjoyed having dinner at Dovetail in Downtown! I will definitely be back to experience it again as well as other local options.

Old 05-21-2019, 09:44 AM

1,005 posts, read 728,882 times
Augusta versus Macon is a close call for me. I vote Augusta only because those I know find more gainful employment than in Macon. At the end of the day though I know more people in IT who are relocating to Columbus, but I don't see them whittling away at the aging population anytime soon. Sure, my vote is shortsighted.

Old 05-22-2019, 04:10 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,507 posts, read 15,097,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
I don’t see that happening at all. I see Columbus pushing further ahead. Downtown Macon and Downtown Augusta are both very quiet at night. I’m there weekly. You can’t say that about Columbus. There is constant foot traffic all throughout downtown Columbus. I’ll be in Augusta for work tomorrow and will take note. I’ve been to Augustino’s at the Augusta Marriott and have literally been the only person in there and it’s a huge restaurant. The energy for downtown development is much, and I mean much, higher in Columbus. The pipeline for Columbus is amazing. Several new hotels, downtown apartments, office development, new restaurants popping up monthly, Mercer Medical School expansion, Liberty District redevelopment, City Village, etc. Also, that 25 mile radius for Columbus seems very low. You are pushing very close to downtown Auburn at that point which adds 160k+ to that radius, not to mention Lagrange. Would like to see your source.
You had to visit Augustino’s on a Monday or something. Plus it’s a restaurant inside the Marriott hotel. I’m sure you wouldn’t have been the only person in a restaurant on Broad street. How can you judge foot traffic from inside a hotel? DT Augusta is not quiet at night.

Did you come to Augusta? I know you had to see the new 7 story building and two 5 story buildings. If you stayed at the Marriott you had to see the new YMCA, Riverwalk extension, parking deck, and two cyber buildings on the Riverwalk.

How can the energy for development in DT Columbus be much higher when the cyber institute is a $100 million development in DT Augusta? DT Columbus is building a Hampton Inn. DT Augusta built a new Hyatt House.

What is under construction DT in Columbus to give you this impression? If you haven’t been to Augusta in over a year. We’ve built a Hyatt, two Cyber buildings, 3 story parking deck, YMCA on the Riverwalk, extended the Riverwalk to 13th street, Sharespace, Taxslayer headquarters, etc.

Last edited by nortonguy; 05-22-2019 at 04:36 PM..

Old 05-26-2019, 10:22 AM

1,987 posts, read 2,109,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
Augusta’s economy, MSA, urban area, etc is already larger than Savannah. What’s the criteria used to separate it from the fall line cites?
Metro Augusta has been larger for 100 years. The criteria are rate of growth in population and prestige over the last decades.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
Savannah’s growth is higher in percentage only.
Percentage is generally the yardstick (which is why the US Census Bureau uses a chart that shows percentage growth across all population stats: city, metro, state). As often discussed on C-D, metro Atlanta doesn't gain as many warm bodies each year as metro New York, but metro Atlanta is one-third metro NYC's size (6m versus 19.8m). Yet which metro is growing faster? Hands down, it's Atlanta.

Likewise with crime statistics: the city with the much larger population, but with the similar number of crime victims, is the safer city. New York is a much safer city than most all Georgia cities over 100,000. It feels safer, believe me.

Last edited by masonbauknight; 05-26-2019 at 10:45 AM..

Old 05-27-2019, 02:35 PM

1,073 posts, read 1,531,742 times
Augusta-

Can grow father than Savannah
They have a better terrain
The city is much larger in population and size
The Cyber Center is a pro
It is likely to bring alot of professional skill to the city
I 14 should connect with Gordon HWY
That would give travelers a reason to go through the inner city

Columbus-

This place seems to be the only city actively trying to grow
It's going for a Atlanta Ponce City Vibe
The River Front is basically a Gem for the city
Much growth for inner city living
Phenix City is also just as determined as Columbus to put itself on the Map
and I 185 extension would help Columbus by far
I 14 crossing on JR Allen Pkwy would also help the city grow on the North

Macon-

Honestly, If you constantly lose a hotel high rise, I don't know what to say (Nobody wants to be there)
475 set Macon's inner city up for failure
The development on 75 and 16 is Macon's only hope as of now
South Macon is dead
If I 14 were to be built in Macon, it should cross the south end where it is empty
and go across the regional airport
This would probably bring growth to the south wasteland.
I mean, why do people go through Macon?
Exactly, to get to Savannah, there is no reason to take a detour down 16 unless you live there.
Give people a reason to come

All in all- each city needs to open up to diversity.
That is the main priority to grow
Become open to many kinds of people, and you become a super power

Old 05-27-2019, 06:56 PM

2,250 posts, read 2,162,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta-Kid View Post
Augusta-

Can grow father than Savannah
They have a better terrain
The city is much larger in population and size
The Cyber Center is a pro
It is likely to bring alot of professional skill to the city
I 14 should connect with Gordon HWY
That would give travelers a reason to go through the inner city

Columbus-

This place seems to be the only city actively trying to grow
It's going for a Atlanta Ponce City Vibe
The River Front is basically a Gem for the city
Much growth for inner city living
Phenix City is also just as determined as Columbus to put itself on the Map
and I 185 extension would help Columbus by far
I 14 crossing on JR Allen Pkwy would also help the city grow on the North

Macon-

Honestly, If you constantly lose a hotel high rise, I don't know what to say (Nobody wants to be there)
475 set Macon's inner city up for failure
The development on 75 and 16 is Macon's only hope as of now
South Macon is dead
If I 14 were to be built in Macon, it should cross the south end where it is empty
and go across the regional airport
This would probably bring growth to the south wasteland.
I mean, why do people go through Macon?
Exactly, to get to Savannah, there is no reason to take a detour down 16 unless you live there.
Give people a reason to come

All in all- each city needs to open up to diversity.
That is the main priority to grow
Become open to many kinds of people, and you become a super power
The riverfront for Columbus ramping up fast! The new food hall will be a nice addition.

Old 05-27-2019, 08:27 PM

23,460 posts, read 44,068,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountain-of-youth View Post
The riverfront for Columbus ramping up fast! The new food hall will be a nice addition.
That has the ability to be hella cool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia