Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 02:32 PM

4 posts, read 22,921 times

Advertisements

I am a Jewish woman originally from New York, but have been living with my husband who is Catholic and my daughter in Florida for the past 11 years.
Due to the drastic hike in taxes and homeowner's insurance, we are considering moving to Georgia.

We just came back from Woodstock and Canton and really love the area.
However, I felt like I was the token Jew there. There were plenty of churches, but not one synagogue. Although I am not religious, I have a deep Jewish feeling and would like to have a few Jewish friends in the area.
I can't believe an area that is growing so rapidly wouldn't have a synagogue in or close to the area.

Can anyone help me decide if the move to Woodstock or Canton would be a good idea for one who is looking to connect with Jewish people??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2006, 02:55 PM

425 posts, read 1,755,607 times
I would think Sandy Springs or Druid Hills area (anywhere close to Emory) would have a decent Jewish population. Aside from that requirement though, you may not care to live closer-in.

Old 10-31-2006, 05:39 PM

92 posts, read 659,218 times
Woodstock would not be a good place if you are looking for even a moderately sized jewish community. consider Dunwoody, Sandy Springs and Emory area, like nrgpill stated. Most synagogues are in-town. The few that are outside of town are on the north/northeast side.

B

Old 11-01-2006, 09:56 AM

12 posts, read 39,417 times
Debbie I Was Up In Woodstock Canton And Alpharetta Really Nice Areas I Thiking Of Moving Up From Fl Myself . Or Bluffton S.c. One Thig I Will Say There Is A Lot Of Stores In The Areas Good For Me Lol I Am Also In Fla Taxes Our Just To High .time For Us To Move. Were From The North Also And Lived In Fl 11 Yrs Well Good Luck And Ii,m Sure Your Gonna Met Some Really Nice Friends Go Andd Enjoy Good Luck Debbie

Old 11-02-2006, 04:23 AM

51 posts, read 287,538 times
Hi Debbie,

I'm from New York originally as well. I lived in a town where there was both a large Jewish and Catholic community. I've lived in Kennesaw Georgai for close to 12 years and I love Georgia.

The towns you have mentioned are very nice. Canton is growing!

As far as meeting others of the Jewish faith...that should not be a problem if you get active in the Jewish community closest to you.

I did a google search for synagogues in Cobb County and came up with a whole list of them in many of the towns that are around where I live.

I remember seeing Marietta and Roswell on the list and there were more. I would search for them on the internet and then call a few. That's exactly what I did when we were moving here years ago. Sometimes by talking to people that work at places of worship, you find out a lot of helpful information. Sometimes they can even tell you about something closer to you. I would do a mapquest from the place that you are thinking to move to, in order to see the distance. Also, once you become active in any community of faith, you meet others, and you may find many of them live closer to you. You do not have to move to the city of Atlanta just because you want to be near other jewish people. There are people of different faiths moving all over Georgia, and the communities are growing. You will not be, nor are you the token jew if you move to Woodstock...I have several doctors I see from the area, and many of them are jewish....you'll love Georgia...and there are lots of New Yorkers and Floridians moving here as well. I run into people from New York all the time. You will be fine with the move!

There are many lovely areas to choose from in Georgia...but, if you are not near a place that you want to worship at, it does not sound like you will be happy. My neighbor drives 45 minutes to her church every Sunday, and now has her house up for sale to be close to the church. You might as well buy a house close to places of worship that both you and your husband feel comfortable with.

Last edited by irish2; 11-02-2006 at 04:48 AM..

Old 11-02-2006, 10:04 AM

2,290 posts, read 5,545,081 times
I suppose that, while there a technically Jewish people who reside in Woodstock or Canton, there probably isn't a Jewish community in the area. A similar analogy is Forsyth County; while there are technically some Blacks who live there, there wouldn't necessarily be a Black community there if someone were looking for one.

I understand the dilemna. Sometimes there are beautiful towns and cities that one might want to live, but it doesn't have the social network that one wants (and needs). I'd love to live near Lake Lanier, but also want to be closer to a more diverse community.

Old 11-02-2006, 04:36 PM

4 posts, read 22,921 times
I never said that I was looking to live in a strictly Jewish community. I like diversity in my neighborhood, but hoped that there was a chance of meeting some Jewish friends.

Old 11-02-2006, 07:12 PM

51 posts, read 287,538 times
Debbie,

You and I are both New Yorkers, which is technically thought of as a melting pot.

I read your post and knew immediately what you were looking for. The best way to meet people and make friends with others of the same faith (Jewish) is to become active in the synagogue, temple, etc.near where you live. I'm sure if you search out where these are, you will meet people.

Again, do some searches on the internet and you will find many synagogues, etc. near where you are looking to relocate too. Good Luck!

Old 11-04-2006, 05:32 PM

425 posts, read 1,755,607 times
Getting back to the original inquiry - Woodstock/Canton is a popular area because you get more house for the money and the school system is decent. But the school system may be the result of the newness of the area as there aren't too many transient communities there yet. After all, it wasn't too long ago when people regarded both Meadowcreek and Berkmar as "good" schools in South Gwinnett.

Old 11-17-2006, 09:29 AM

1 posts, read 9,087 times
Thumbs up Jews in Cobb County

I'm originally from Long Island. I've been living in the Acworth/Kennesaw for 9 years and opened a candle shop, Candle Corner, in Kennesaw last year. The Hanukkah menorahs in the window this time of year attract a lot of attention from the many transplanted Jews who live in the area. We're here, maybe not very noticeable, but we're here. There are a lot of NJ, NY, and New England accents around and a lot of them seem to find my store. A couple of weeks ago a customer told me that there's a new Jewish Synagogue in west Cobb County but she had to leave (3-year old was acting up) before I could get the details. Can't find it online yet.

I really enjoy living here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia