Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 12:08 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,939,936 times

Advertisements

I think soap keeps away some insects. I don't know if these would be beneficial insects or bad insects... but I think it has to be a relatively high concentration of soap, anyway. I don't think it hurts plants to water them with soapy water.

Trying to find a silver lining, I guess one good thing about having such a dry year is that it keeps the insect population down. Which reminds--what is the likelihood of being bit by chiggers? Are they an regular annoyance, or only something you find in the deep woods?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2007, 07:19 PM

218 posts, read 1,188,808 times
I think I'm going to try the shampoo or water bottle behind the toilet thing...okay, call me dumb, but, how exactly would I do that? Go ahead and laugh...where would I attach it? I know, I know, how can you be a home owner and NOT know these things! I guess that was what daddy was always for.

Old 10-10-2007, 07:32 PM

Location: Georgia.I rather be in GODS country Tennessee.Everybody knows Gods a VOLS fan.
597 posts, read 2,080,852 times
I wouldn't say it's a dumb question.It has to be put somewhere so it will not get in the way of the water flow in the toilet tank.I would see if there is a way to fix it in the toilet so as it can't move,maybe tie a string around it and tie it off somewhere in the back of your toilet.I really don't know cause I have never ventured to do this myself.Maybe a heavy rock or something would work better.

Old 10-11-2007, 04:55 AM

247 posts, read 1,289,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CabinFever View Post
I wouldn't say it's a dumb question.It has to be put somewhere so it will not get in the way of the water flow in the toilet tank.I would see if there is a way to fix it in the toilet so as it can't move,maybe tie a string around it and tie it off somewhere in the back of your toilet.I really don't know cause I have never ventured to do this myself.Maybe a heavy rock or something would work better.
I have heard that you can put a brick in your toliet tank. I have never tried this - seems like parts of the brick would end up in your toliet but it sure wouldn't move!

Old 10-11-2007, 06:13 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,289,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebs964 View Post
I have heard that you can put a brick in your toliet tank. I have never tried this - seems like parts of the brick would end up in your toliet but it sure wouldn't move!
I had a brick in the toilet tank at my old house for 3 years and never had a problem. I never saw any brick remnants or discoloered water in the toilet.

Old 10-11-2007, 07:34 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,874,752 times
I had heard that it's not recommended that you place bricks in your toilet tank. Apparently over time small bits of brick and break off and get flushed and settle into your lines. A piece of quartz if you have them in your yard is harder and doesn't degrade, or granite - but the water bottle thing is better.

Just take off your tank cover, flush, and then set the water bottle or shampoo bottle (with water in it and lid on tight) into the back of the tank against the side. That's it.

You can also buy cut-off switches for your shower. It's a small tube with a switch you slide back and forth to turn the water back on and off. Here is one example online with a photo, but you can easily find them at Home Depot or Lowes: Shower Saver Shut-Off Valve : Every time you take a shower you use tons of water. If you used one of these valves to cut the water off for a minute or two as you soap up, then turn it back on when you rinse, you'd save up to 40% of the water you normally use during a shower. They cost maybe $2 or so.

Today's newspaper article highlights the dire situation the whole metro area is in regarding water: Lake Lanier has three months of water storage left | ajc.com (broken link)

Old 10-11-2007, 08:00 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,289,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post

You can also buy cut-off switches for your shower. It's a small tube with a switch you slide back and forth to turn the water back on and off. Here is one example online with a photo, but you can easily find them at Home Depot or Lowes: Shower Saver Shut-Off Valve : Every time you take a shower you use tons of water. If you used one of these valves to cut the water off for a minute or two as you soap up, then turn it back on when you rinse, you'd save up to 40% of the water you normally use during a shower. They cost maybe $2 or so.
That's a pretty cool little gadget. I think I'll get one.

Old 10-11-2007, 08:59 AM

3,982 posts, read 10,459,315 times
looks like its about to get real...

Old 10-15-2007, 09:45 AM

2 posts, read 3,844 times
Default What about a moratorium on development?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
That's a pretty cool little gadget. I think I'll get one.
I live near Smyrna, and in the last couple of years they have added about a billion condos and luxury homes there. High rise towers are still going up all over Buckhead, and as far as the eye can see in every direction from metro Atlanta more and more residences are being built, beckoning hundreds of thousands more people to move here, yet we have only 3 months of water left. Has anyone heard of any plans to stop approving all this development until our water situation can be improved? My brick in the toilet cannot atone for the 53 new houses being built a block away.

Old 10-15-2007, 09:50 AM

43 posts, read 218,985 times
How about building a couple of more sub divisions, and adding some more people to the area.
If you think about the growth the area has had in the last 10 years, it is only natural that this problem is happening. It seems nobody is thinking about the consequenses of the growth. They keep on building homes with underground sprinklers, and plenty of landscaping that needs to be watered.
I spent 2 years in Forsyth county and recently was able to sell my house and move back home to the northeast. It still amazes me that county and state officials don't see, or choose not to see, the problems associated with such rapid growth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia