Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2007, 09:58 AM

73,031 posts, read 62,634,962 times

Advertisements

This is why I like rain. Droughts go away and the make living easier and more relaxed. The solution I could think of is whenever GA has a water surplus, store that water away for a future drought. It is the only viable solution I can think of that isn't expensive, but it isn't timely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2007, 04:39 PM

98 posts, read 471,465 times
The best way to conserve water is raise the price!!! (just like gasoline)

What does the average homeowner pay for metered water each month? $50? If the price doubled or tripled, usage patterns would change really fast.

I pay a flat $28 for water/sewer/trash (unlimited) at my 2 br/2 ba apartment, so I have no incentive to save water by washing clothes less often or taking shorter showers (though I could save energy).

Old 10-23-2007, 09:05 AM

7,331 posts, read 15,391,361 times
I am sorry about the drought, guys. I hope things get better for you soon. I was following this thread, and I think it's interesting that folks talk about how to get more water more than how to conserve it. One step? Rethink our yards. Grass is great. It's pretty. So are flowers. They take a ton of water to maintain, though. I've heard that there are actually still a few people accepting the potential fine in ATL just to water their lawns. Their LAWNS! In the middle of a drought. Dudes. People will understand if your precious grass browns.

How about fixing leaks? Or taking shorter showers, and only doing them once a day? Or the ol' "if it's yellow, let it mellow" approach to toilet use?

Old 10-24-2007, 06:31 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,300,835 times
Last night on the news Sonny Perdue said the drought was going to make things uncomfortable, but "that's the price we have to pay to live in such a great country".

Can someone please explain to me how that makes ANY sense?

Last edited by JPD; 10-24-2007 at 07:27 AM..

Old 10-24-2007, 06:55 AM

73,031 posts, read 62,634,962 times
Two days of rain. I hope we get more.

Old 10-24-2007, 07:10 AM

823 posts, read 2,216,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Last night on the news Sonny Perdue said the drought was going to make things uncomfortable, but "that's the price we have to pay to live in such a grerat country".

Can someone please explain to me how that makes ANY sense?
I believe what he is trying to say is that if we clap louder the drought will end.

Old 10-24-2007, 10:00 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,092,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg_atlanta View Post
The best way to conserve water is raise the price!!! (just like gasoline)
I think you're right on target.

Quote:
What does the average homeowner pay for metered water each month? $50? If the price doubled or tripled, usage patterns would change really fast.
We pay roughly $35/month with 2/3 of it being sewer fees, not water fees (Cobb County also charges for drainage for each gallon you use). When we ran the sprinkler system (normally a few times a month max), our water bill would normally double or triple, so I didn't tend to do that unless the grass was actually on the verge of dying. I think we ran them in July and August, and not much at all last year (maybe once or twice at isolated times).

Quote:
I pay a flat $28 for water/sewer/trash (unlimited) at my 2 br/2 ba apartment, so I have no incentive to save water by washing clothes less often or taking shorter showers (though I could save energy).
For us, not using the sprinklers (currently enforced by law ) allows us to cut our usage in more than half. But we're already fairly water-thrifty (between my wife, myself, and four cats, we'll normally use between 2000 and 3000 gallons per month).

Old 10-24-2007, 02:58 PM

1 posts, read 2,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janette moss View Post
Does Georgia have hurricanes? I hope nothing that drastic has to happen to get rain. I would rather a "marathon rain dance" take place. Let's pray that Georgia will be able to sing "Rainey Night in Georgia" soon.
Hurricane Opal, September, 1995 or 1996. The pounding rain and howling wind did not stop for about 12 hours--some serious wind damage where I lived. It was a long and scary night, although it was worse in some areas than others if memory serve me right. Normally we just have heavy rains from hurricanes, and sometimes tornados. I noticed a post from several months in answer to whether or not Georgia still has tornados. Obviously, the person who answered is a transplant, because he/she said not to worry, because tornados don't happen around here anymore. He/she will be in for a rude awakening the first time they hear that freight train screaming over their head--it's a sound you never forget. The drought will end, and the storms will be back.

Old 10-24-2007, 06:59 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,769,842 times
Default The Water Shortage Is A BIG FAT LIE!!

We are not running out of water and nowhere near running out of water. This is just a big lie so they can raise our water bills. If it was true, do you really think they would be handing out building and tap permits at the rate of 200,000 or so every year? We now have close to 5 million people here now and with current rates of growth, we will double that in 20 years to 10 million. If they cannot find water for 5 million, where do you think they will get it for 10 million???

Old 10-24-2007, 07:03 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,104,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
We are not running out of water and nowhere near running out of water. This is just a big lie so they can raise our water bills. If it was true, do you really think they would be handing out building and tap permits at the rate of 200,000 or so every year? We now have close to 5 million people here now and with current rates of growth, we will double that in 20 years to 10 million. If they cannot find water for 5 million, where do you think they will get it for 10 million???
Uh, have you seen Lake Lanier lately?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia