Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 11:37 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times

Advertisements

OK, without actually ratting on anyone--what's your general observation about the new water restrictions. Are people following them?

Here in VA, we also have mandatory water restrictions with a stiff fine. But I see my neighbors out watering the lawn. Some people are watering more than ever, because they want to give their roses an extra boost in case the water cops start coming around and everyone has to stop.

People are happy to stop washing the cars and topping off pools, however. There also seems to be no problem in shutting off fountains. But everyone wants to water their lawn! Is it the same way down there?

And... I see that the weather forecast (for the mountain towns at least) includes rain in the next 10 days. Does that mean the restrictions will be short-lived?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2007, 01:12 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,369,826 times
I've seen several neighbors watering their lawns, so no- they're not obeying the restrictions.

Regarding the rain over the next 10 days- unless it's a rain of biblical proportions, I don't see it having any effect on the restrictions- we're way too low in the lakes to have a few days of rain create a recovery.

Bob

Old 10-05-2007, 03:14 PM

670 posts, read 2,998,208 times
Um no. We are but probably because I've been conditioned that way...I mean we had droughts in Cali and in Texas. Our lawn here we do NOT water and it is still amazingly green (we also live on a lake so maybe that's why?).

Old 10-10-2007, 04:50 PM

4 posts, read 19,248 times
Default Pressure Washing uses DRASTICALLY LESS WATER

The one thing that I haven't seen anyone mention yet, is the fact that PRESSURE WASHING uses DRASTICALLY LESS WATER than running water from a hose, about 80% Less. It is drastically hurting the local small businesses that rely on pressure washing for a living. Most people think that the watering ban includes pressure washing, but what they do not realize is that if they are having a professional company do the work, the company is exempt from the watering ban. Not to mention, the homeowner is probably using more water when taking a bath. You can find a link to the Georgia Dept of Natural Resources where the rules are stated, and find ways to conserve water at PowerWash of Atlanta

Old 10-10-2007, 05:58 PM

348 posts, read 1,021,182 times
My neighbors are all doing pretty good but you know what makes me mad? The new subdivision they just put in behind me that has the automatic sprinklers going constantly on the new landscaping. Are they allowed to since they are builders? Such a waste of water.

Old 10-10-2007, 06:07 PM

Location: Georgia.I rather be in GODS country Tennessee.Everybody knows Gods a VOLS fan.
597 posts, read 2,080,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lthomas View Post
The one thing that I haven't seen anyone mention yet, is the fact that PRESSURE WASHING uses DRASTICALLY LESS WATER than running water from a hose, about 80% Less. It is drastically hurting the local small businesses that rely on pressure washing for a living. Most people think that the watering ban includes pressure washing, but what they do not realize is that if they are having a professional company do the work, the company is exempt from the watering ban. Not to mention, the homeowner is probably using more water when taking a bath. You can find a link to the Georgia Dept of Natural Resources where the rules are stated, and find ways to conserve water at PowerWash of Atlanta
So,what your saying is that pressure washing companies are not on the ban.I own a pressure washer and have been wanting to clean my house but I haven't done so because of the bans.

Old 10-11-2007, 04:50 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,369,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happymom4 View Post
My neighbors are all doing pretty good but you know what makes me mad? The new subdivision they just put in behind me that has the automatic sprinklers going constantly on the new landscaping. Are they allowed to since they are builders? Such a waste of water.
There was a 30-day exemption for new landscaping that was professionally installed to allow them to take root and survive. Many counties are over-riding that now, and not even allowing new installs to be watered.

Old 10-11-2007, 06:42 AM

670 posts, read 2,998,208 times
I don't know necessarily if sprinklers waste more water. We have had sprinklers and water bans (grew up in SoCal which was always in drought and in Dallas again drought until recently) and they would let you water 5 minutes 2-3 times a week per zone which was for us about 20 minutes TOPS, I know based on water bills compared to the neighbors who pulled out the ole' hose we used less water. But to be fair in North Texas you have expansive soil so you MUST keep your foundation watered just right to prevent problems, too much or not enough is a huge issue.

Old 10-11-2007, 08:42 AM

348 posts, read 1,021,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
There was a 30-day exemption for new landscaping that was professionally installed to allow them to take root and survive. Many counties are over-riding that now, and not even allowing new installs to be watered.
Thank you...I've been curious about that...I'm not sure if they are behaving now or not, we put a fence up so now I have no clue what goes on back there...but if they still are, they are past their 30 day exempt period now.

Old 10-14-2007, 01:47 PM

3 posts, read 10,571 times
Default Water Ban

What I don't understand is why if there is a shortage here in GA why we are transporting water from GA to Alabama and Florida and there are no restrictions in them two states? Does this make sense?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
View detailed profiles of: