Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2007, 05:55 AM

201 posts, read 1,124,275 times

Advertisements

I hear on the news that the Governor of Georgia is going to appeal to the President to stopping the federal regulation of water being shipped from Georgia to Florida and Alabama during this crucial period. I hope this will be effective for the people of Georgia. Save the people and let the mussells go for now! Do you think the Governor will be successful? I pray so.

Old 10-21-2007, 08:33 AM

1,258 posts, read 2,314,600 times
God help us if we have to rely on GWB to help us...Then we're REALLY SCREWED. I doubt he could even find Georgia on a map.

Old 10-21-2007, 09:07 AM

1,501 posts, read 5,110,252 times
It's not as if GB has to really do anything, other than authorize the Army Corp to slow down the water flow out of the dam.

Old 10-21-2007, 12:06 PM

3,478 posts, read 7,264,836 times
I'll play a little devil's advocate here - could this entire "crisis" really be a ploy by the state of Georgia to just hoard more water and prevent giving it to Alabama and Florida? Or on the same vein - could this just be an attack on the Endangered Species Act? Does anyone actually KNOW what level Lake Lanier has to be at before we run out of drinking water (it's currently at 1058 ft.)?

Again, I'm just wondering...

Old 10-21-2007, 01:36 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,110,252 times
According to the AJC, when they report that Atlanta has "79 more days of water," what they really mean is the remainder of what they call the "conservation" portion of the water. If that runs out, there is still 40 - 50% of the lake water left, although they may have to extend some pipes to get at the water.

Old 10-21-2007, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAisGreat View Post
God help us if we have to rely on GWB to help us...Then we're REALLY SCREWED. I doubt he could even find Georgia on a map.
LOL You have jokes!

Old 10-21-2007, 09:09 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,213,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxjay View Post
I'll play a little devil's advocate here - could this entire "crisis" really be a ploy by the state of Georgia to just hoard more water and prevent giving it to Alabama and Florida? Or on the same vein - could this just be an attack on the Endangered Species Act? Does anyone actually KNOW what level Lake Lanier has to be at before we run out of drinking water (it's currently at 1058 ft.)?

Again, I'm just wondering...
That's 1058' MSL (feet about sea level). That doesn't mean that the lake has 1058' of water. I believe that the lake is around 200' (at deepest area) in depth when full. They've said that at about 40% of that it becomes more difficult to extract the water and barges become necessary.

BTW, to those who have to bring up the President and launch your barbs and attacks, are you really that bitter and full of hate for the man that you have to take any opportunity to show it? Given the seriousness of this situation, wouldn't help from the President of the US be a welcome event, regardless of party of politics? Please put away your leftist partisan attacks, at least for something like this that will affect us all, Democrat, Republican, and Independent alike.

Old 10-22-2007, 08:05 AM

71 posts, read 706,764 times
Default Well Said!

Well said, Neil! Whatever my feelings on GB, I know that he really doesn't have any control over the weather. These folks who throw barbs around don't realize the immense power they ascribe to him when they blame him for Katrina, fires, draught, etc.

Yes, the water level really is very low in the lakes around Georgia. You have to realize that Georgia's lakes are man-made and have no outside source of water like underground springs., etc.

Old 10-24-2007, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotton View Post
Well said, Neil! Whatever my feelings on GB, I know that he really doesn't have any control over the weather. These folks who throw barbs around don't realize the immense power they ascribe to him when they blame him for Katrina, fires, draught, etc.

Yes, the water level really is very low in the lakes around Georgia. You have to realize that Georgia's lakes are man-made and have no outside source of water like underground springs., etc.
We all know that GB gets "barbs" thrown at him. But the original point is that the Governor of Georgia would have to go to him in order to get permission to stop the federal regulation of sending water to Florida and Alabama. He doesn't have any control over the weather, but he does have control of federal policies. We have sent money overseas to Iraq, so how hard would it be to help Georgia. He is in California checking on the fires. Thank God in heaven that there were no fires like that in Georgia without the adequate amount of water to put the fires out.

Last edited by janette moss; 10-24-2007 at 05:03 PM.. Reason: left word out
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia