Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 04:40 PM

3 posts, read 10,389 times

Advertisements

My great grandfather was one of the first physicians in LaGrange so I don't think there is a bad history and the good Baptists vs. bad Baptists issue with people yelling at me is a separate issue. My statistical source regarding teen pregnacies et al was from a friend, a journalist who works for and writes for the LaGrange Daily news and as for me I hold five university degrees and four majors so I think I've established sufficient credibility. My suggestion is to leave the town for a while and then return to see how things really are. If you are from New York, of course it's a friendly town in comparison. If one's hobby is being defensive on a tiny site such as this defending a flea on an elephant's back perhaps one needs to broaden their horizons. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2010, 05:17 PM

3 posts, read 10,389 times
Default Point Proven

For the person who commented so defensively and in such an unfriendly nature regarding perhaps that my ancestors did something bad in during those 200 years, the point of LaGrange being an unfriendly town was proven. If it was a friendly place to live and the Baptists and other faiths actually practiced kindness and forgiveness all principles of the teachings of a great man, they would have never made such hateful remarks. Paranoia did show its ugly head. I do thank that individual for proving not only my point but that of several others making their voices known. To live in a small world has got to be wonderful but there is a bigger place out there. Good luck.

Old 01-10-2010, 11:18 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,865,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme56 View Post
My great grandfather was one of the first physicians in LaGrange so I don't think there is a bad history and the good Baptists vs. bad Baptists issue with people yelling at me is a separate issue. My statistical source regarding teen pregnacies et al was from a friend, a journalist who works for and writes for the LaGrange Daily news and as for me I hold five university degrees and four majors so I think I've established sufficient credibility. My suggestion is to leave the town for a while and then return to see how things really are. If you are from New York, of course it's a friendly town in comparison. If one's hobby is being defensive on a tiny site such as this defending a flea on an elephant's back perhaps one needs to broaden their horizons. Good luck.

Put your five degrees to work and post some sources of how Troup County ranks number 159 in Georgia in most every important rating. Seems with a brand new auto plant (not to mention the other diversified business LaGrange has attracted over the years to compensate its previous reliance on the textile industy) I find it hard to understand how it is the worst in the state in unemployment. Just one area where a source would be helpful before you denegrate a nice city and county. If your friend is a journalist, perhaps he/she could provide you with sources.

Since your three years away broadened your horizons so (I guess this is where you got at least three of your university degrees, the other two being West Georgia Tech and LaGrange College), perhaps us home town folks are really not unfriendly, but so far beneath your fine pedigree that we just come across that way.

Old 01-10-2010, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme56 View Post
For the person who commented so defensively and in such an unfriendly nature regarding perhaps that my ancestors did something bad in during those 200 years, the point of LaGrange being an unfriendly town was proven. If it was a friendly place to live and the Baptists and other faiths actually practiced kindness and forgiveness all principles of the teachings of a great man, they would have never made such hateful remarks. Paranoia did show its ugly head. I do thank that individual for proving not only my point but that of several others making their voices known. To live in a small world has got to be wonderful but there is a bigger place out there. Good luck.
Oh, no, I responded to your ill informed post with all the sweetness, charm and southern hospitality my red clay stained toes could muster

Old 05-03-2010, 10:04 AM

2 posts, read 6,762 times
What would be the best zip codes in Lagrange to consider? I need a safe place with good schools for my daughters. Is 30241 a good zip?

Old 05-03-2010, 02:22 PM

63 posts, read 284,949 times
31822, Pine Mountain side of Troup County is best IMO--Rosemont is a really good elementary school

Old 05-04-2010, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre77489 View Post
What would be the best zip codes in Lagrange to consider? I need a safe place with good schools for my daughters. Is 30241 a good zip?
LaGrange being a smaller city and the overall population of Troup County being just of 60,000, would say that any zip code would have a wide variety of housing stock. It isn't like a metro Atlanta community where one zip code ends up being pretty much alike. You will find nice areas and poorer areas in just about any of the zip codes. All of the zip codes will cover the cities and towns and large stretches of rural areas as well.

30230 - Hogansville and northeast corner of Troup County
30240 - Western half of LaGrange and most of the northwestern and west central portions of Troup County.
30241 - Eastern half of LaGrange and east central Troup County
31833 - city of West Point and southwestern corner
31822 - city of Pine Mountain (in Harris County but adjacent to Troup and Meriwether counties) southewatern corner of Troup.

I found 30261 listed for LaGrange as well but have had trouble figuring out exactly its boundaries. I think this might have been the old Mountville post office, but anytime I typed in Mountville, GA and the zip, it just listed LaGrange. Mountville is due east of LaGrange just shy of the Meriwether line. Mountville Elementary has a good reputation, I know many in Meriwether that have moved over the line into the Mountville school zone so their kids could go there, my niece and her husband included.

Remember that zip codes will cross county lines, a good portion of 30230 is in Meriwether county for instance and crosses into parts of Heard and Coweta as well.

Last edited by Saintmarks; 05-04-2010 at 08:07 PM..

Old 12-15-2010, 10:41 PM

3 posts, read 7,914 times
Default Newnan georgia

hey you should have moved to coweta county Newnan georgia...,(a little futher up above lagrange) Police dont take no mess, and you have a bus line to atlanta called GRTA,.very worthy ... must have a car though, but yea Ive been there 12 years now and its peaceful, if your a a party and someone calls the police... you better leave, cause everyone going! It real tight down here, and they talk about furloughs.... man new fire trucks , new police cars, 2013 ford ambulances......... wow. work in the city return to the peaceful country!!!

Old 12-17-2010, 11:25 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,419,710 times
Default Hate to tell you this

but the churches pretty much own most of the nice towns in Georgia. This is not unusual around these parts.

Old 02-02-2012, 01:17 PM

4 posts, read 25,904 times
Im from Miami, Fl. and I love Lagrange, Ga. It all depends what your moving for. I've lived in a major city my whole life, and I'm over it!!!!.... its too many people, too much crime, and too expensive... My fiancee's family is from La Grange, I'm so glad he brought this little town into my life. The people at Wal-Mart are actually friendly and will take you to what your looking for (like in the commercials ) The cost of living is low, and there's a little crime everywhere. I'm ready to move back, I'll be working in Columbus, GA. and La Grange sits in between Columbus, and Atlanta. I say give it a chance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia