Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 06:59 AM

670 posts, read 2,998,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mof29212 View Post
Moving to LaGrange-Dentist prices are OUT OF SIGHT. Do go somewhere else for a root canal. This is not a cheap procedure anywhere but here $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$- just unreasonable
You know when we lived in Columbus we were also shocked at the prices for services (i.e., dental, cleaning and lawn) being TWO TO THREE TIMES more than we paid in Dallas, Texas--a large city. My husband attributed it to less people able to do these things so therefore they can charge you more. I dunno.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2007, 06:30 AM

913 posts, read 2,984,525 times
LaGrange is a nice town. There is a lot of development and job growth going on there. Kia is building a plant in West Point, which is outside of LaGrange. The plant alone is created 2,500 jobs. There are another 2,500- 3000 jobs being created by the suppliers locating to the area. The city is perfectly situated between Georgia's two fastest growing metros, that being Atlanta and Columbus. It is an easy ride to both cities.

Old 06-04-2009, 08:02 PM

2 posts, read 7,763 times
Default A Welcoming Town

I am originally from NYC (yes, Manhattan) and have to say I just love LaGrange. I live in Atlanta and have a second home on West Point Lake. I find the people kind, friendly and good natured. I once had trouble with my dock, and a passing fisherman - a total stranger - offered to help me. My neighbors keep an eye on the house and are the first to welcome my family when we drive up for our weekend visits.

If you can deal with the inconveniences of a small town, LG is a great place. Services for home maintenance can require patience...so for example, getting an electrician over to my house when he said he would be there took 3 phone calls.

For a small city, it has an unusually strong focus on music and the arts, thanks to LaGrange College...and the KIA plant seems to be bringing in a lot of development. It has a great movie theatre, incredible town square (small and quaint and a great place for a stroll), and wonderful choice of upscale restaurants.

I often make day trips from Atlanta on the weekends...from the lake to midtown atlanta, it takes me 1 hour and 15 minutes. It is very manageable.

Old 06-07-2009, 08:53 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,855,251 times
I posted my knowledge of LaGrange on a similar thread on the Altanta forum. I think LaGrange is one of the nicest small cities / big towns in all of the South. I have always found the people extremely friendly and helpful. Not to be disparaging, but sometimes there are situations where you must take it upon yourself to be outgoing and make friends and not wait for others to bear the burden.

LaGrange, being part of the bible belt, will have much of it's social networks built around church life. Are you a church goer at all?

Old 06-08-2009, 05:38 AM

107 posts, read 354,563 times
Hmm. Lagrange does not have the friendliest people. lol ha.

Basically there are two companies that dominate the real estate market in Lagrange.

Although Lagrange is not that bad, I LIKE Lanett, AL and West Point BOTH are smaller and people are a taD bit nicer.

With all of that said, I am also a Texan and I am from a very very friendly city!!

Old 10-21-2009, 04:25 PM

23 posts, read 90,726 times
Hi, we are planning to move to LaGrange GA from NY. How's life in LaGrange? Is there any indian community there? Are there any indian restaurants/indian grocery stores? Please advise.

Old 10-22-2009, 01:48 AM
JLA

627 posts, read 2,186,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramila View Post
Hi, we are planning to move to LaGrange GA from NY. How's life in LaGrange? Is there any indian community there? Are there any indian restaurants/indian grocery stores? Please advise.
Ramila you will have to go to Atlanta or Columbus to eat at an Indian restaurant or shop at an Indian grocery store.

Old 11-05-2009, 03:33 PM

23 posts, read 90,726 times
thank you JLA. But is anyone aware about any Indian community in the area as my in-laws live with me and they dont speak much english. Please let me know

Old 01-08-2010, 11:18 PM

3 posts, read 10,385 times
My family had lived in LaGrange for nearly 200 years and I moved away and lived overseas for about 3 years before returning to settle up a late relative's estate for a few months. Things had changed and not for the better. The consciousness is different. If you aren't a member of some church or associate yourself with a select group of people you might as well leave. I had people yell at me as I was walking down the street and never felt completely safe and I had spent time in cities like Cairo and Seoul with populations of over 12 million. A friend of mine told me that Troup County has the highest illiteracy rate, highest teen pregnancy rate, highest unemployment rates and largest lottery sales in the state if that's any indication. Upon seeing "good Baptists" I sure was glad I didn't meet any bad ones. Advice? Yes, camp out, work for Kia or the other companies but don't live in LaGrange and don't make friends with the locals because they will turn on you in a moment's notice. Good luck.

Old 01-09-2010, 09:29 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,855,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme56 View Post
My family had lived in LaGrange for nearly 200 years and I moved away and lived overseas for about 3 years before returning to settle up a late relative's estate for a few months. Things had changed and not for the better. The consciousness is different. If you aren't a member of some church or associate yourself with a select group of people you might as well leave. I had people yell at me as I was walking down the street and never felt completely safe and I had spent time in cities like Cairo and Seoul with populations of over 12 million. A friend of mine told me that Troup County has the highest illiteracy rate, highest teen pregnancy rate, highest unemployment rates and largest lottery sales in the state if that's any indication. Upon seeing "good Baptists" I sure was glad I didn't meet any bad ones. Advice? Yes, camp out, work for Kia or the other companies but don't live in LaGrange and don't make friends with the locals because they will turn on you in a moment's notice. Good luck.
My experience in LaGrange (as I mentioned in an earlier thread) is the complete opposite. Like I said before, any community is usually a mirror. You usually take from a community what you put in. Associating people yelling on the street at you with good Baptists is a trite, uneducated comment.

Citing statistics a "friend" told you is a cheap shot as well. Do the research and post ceritified sources before you slam a city/county.

Perhaps your ancestors did something in the past 200 years to give your family a bad name, have you considered that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia