Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 11:11 AM

2,856 posts, read 4,619,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_X View Post
Although Georgia's non-Atlanta CSA population of around 4 million wouldnt be quite as large as TN, CO, MD, MO, etc. it would still be greater than the 2.8 and 2.9 populations of Arkansas and Mississippi. So to say Georgia w/o ATL is like Arkansas or Mississippi is still a negative exaggeration about the rest of Georgia.

Also, the amount of people that write Macon, Georgia on their mail is over 150,000 even though the city proper population is listed at 90,000+. Annex those unincorporated areas (which are good areas) and the crime rate significantly drops on paper.

It's really unfair to compare the crime rates of some cities to certain other cities, when one city's listed city proper population is basically just the inner city area and another city's population includes wealthier, safer, outer areas that have been annexed.

It' not a negative exaggeration because I'm not putting down AL or MS. I'm just saying the truth like it or not.

Why you guys seem to hate metro Atlanta...let's remove it from the state and look at what you have

Population:

GA pop w/out metro Atlanta 9,687,653-5,475,241= 4,212,412...which is less than AL and SC so I guess it would be in that tier because TN has 6.2mil Maryland has 5.8mil and every other state listed above has more than 5 million people

GDP:

Georgia's GDP without metro Atlanta 397B-269B= 127B which is well behind all of those states above as it's also well behind SC and AL as well

Major Cities in GA without Atlanta:

Every state above has a city that would dwarf the cities in GA if Atlanta is replaced...Even AL has Birmingham and SC has Columbia and there's no city in GA that can hold a candle to either.

Bottom line:

Population wise yes GA has enough people to be considered in a tier above Arkansas and Mississippi but look at the other numbers for a state of 4 million people our GDP would ranked 31st in the nation and compared to other states with 4 million plus that sucks. There would be no major city in our state and also, which city would support the sports teams because I think of one..??..

So why people are constantly bashing Atlanta that lives in the state of GA, I'm here to tell you that it's making Georgia desirable to outsiders and contributes to nearly all of the growth...Like it or not but this state would suck significantly without Atlanta.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2011, 11:32 AM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,508 posts, read 15,101,643 times
Intresting disscusion you guys have going on here.. I like Atlanta and do agree Atlanta is responsible for a large percentage of the growth.. But you also have to remember the cities in the state might be alot bigger if there wasn't no Atlanta... Especially the one who ended up becoming the capital of Georgia..

I have to disagree about no city in GA being able to hold a candle to Columbia... The city is larger than the GA 2nd tier cities but the metro is only 740k and not over 1 million yet... They don't even have Apple, Costco, PF Changs like Augusta...

Old 02-20-2011, 11:43 AM

934 posts, read 1,346,765 times
I think all the GA cities would grow at a neck breaking speed if Atlanta so happened to disappear. But I dont wish for that to happen at all because Atlanta is the crown jewel of the South.

Old 02-20-2011, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
Intresting disscusion you guys have going on here.. I like Atlanta and do agree Atlanta is responsible for a large percentage of the growth.. But you also have to remember the cities in the state might be alot bigger if there wasn't no Atlanta... Especially the one who ended up becoming the capital of Georgia..

I have to disagree about no city in GA being able to hold a candle to Columbia... The city is larger than the GA 2nd tier cities but the metro is only 740k and not over 1 million yet... They don't even have Apple, Costco, PF Changs like Augusta...

So what second tier city in Georgia can compete with Columbia honestly? Actually you could even put Greenville in the mix for SC as well because it has metro in the state. I see you think Augusta may be in the same tier of Columbia because they don't have those 5 chain stores. We could go on all day about which city this and that but that doesn't mean much.

Columbia's importance to SC is much greater than Augusta's importance to GA and if Atlanta wasn't in Georgia, who knows which city may be number one but Georgia sure wouldn't be the same that's for sure..

Old 02-20-2011, 12:51 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,508 posts, read 15,101,643 times
The Birmingham metro area is over 1 million people strong.. Therefore the city has retail Augusta can't compete with(Saks)... Columbia is the largest metro in the state and Greenville has the largest CSA.. I'll agree they're both bigger than Augusta but not by alot...

Notice the separation between Birmingham and the rest...

2009 Urban area populations
Birmingham 662,397
Charleston 473,781
Columbia 454,125
Augusta 340,146
Greenville 327,406
Columbus 246,572
Savannah 203,256
Macon 129,827k

Old 02-20-2011, 02:20 PM

934 posts, read 1,346,765 times
Take Atlanta out the picture Augusta increases its importance alot, a Southern San Antonio. Instead of Alamo and it will be Conferate heritage but with a larger River Walk withe Savannah River. Down the Savannah is the fastest growing port nation and its already pasted Charleston. Columbia dont have enough water and Augusta has Savannah River and Thurmond Lake. Altanta leaving would be the best for Augusta's Airport the numbers have been going up. Atlanta leaving would funnel people into Macon, with I-75 coming from Greeville wanting warmer weather.

Old 02-20-2011, 02:24 PM

Cool and based off of the urban population that you provided Augusta is closer to Columbus than Columbia. I'm still trying to figure out what you're getting at because all I said is that no second tier city in Georgia can touch Columbia and nothing you provided indicates any city can.

I'm not trying to argue, I just don't see any city 2nd tier in GA on par with it.

Old 02-20-2011, 06:09 PM

91 posts, read 243,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post
It' not a negative exaggeration because I'm not putting down AL or MS. I'm just saying the truth like it or not.
GDP:[/b]

Georgia's GDP without metro Atlanta 397B-269B= 127B which is well behind all of those states above as it's also well behind SC and AL as well
Not to Jump on the Bash Metro Atlanta Band Wagon but if you remove it from the state of Georgia you would have to remove the Georgia State Government, Georgia Tech, and Georgia State University. This would bring that GDP down a bit also the overall population of Metro Atlanta take all state employees and families out and leave the rest. Lets face it if Atlanta were placed in another state with all being equal as it is today it would not be the capitol of any other state. With ATL gone or never a part of Georgia at all the Capital would more than likely remained in Milledgeville, GA and that city would be larger due to its proximity to Macon which would probably be smaller THINK Upstate SC Greenville-Spartanburg-Anderson only in Georgia it would be Milledgeville-Macon-Warner Robins. Milledgeville=Greenville, Spartanburg=Macon, and Warner Robins=Anderson, that would give the state its large metro of over a million people Columbus, Augusta, Athens and Savannah would also be larger .

just one example of the impact on Atlanta by the University System of Georgia and this was in 2003 .
Eight institutions in the metro Atlanta area – Georgia Institute of Technology, Georgia State University, Clayton State University, Kennesaw State University, Southern Polytechnic State University, Georgia Gwinnett College, Atlanta Metropolitan College and Georgia Perimeter College – accounted for $5.3 billion of the University System’s $12.7 billion total, and 42,434 jobs.

Old 02-20-2011, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Stats View Post
Not to Jump on the Bash Metro Atlanta Band Wagon but if you remove it from the state of Georgia you would have to remove the Georgia State Government, Georgia Tech, and Georgia State University. This would bring that GDP down a bit also the overall population of Metro Atlanta take all state employees and families out and leave the rest. Lets face it if Atlanta were placed in another state with all being equal as it is today it would not be the capitol of any other state. With ATL gone or never a part of Georgia at all the Capital would more than likely remained in Milledgeville, GA and that city would be larger due to its proximity to Macon which would probably be smaller THINK Upstate SC Greenville-Spartanburg-Anderson only in Georgia it would be Milledgeville-Macon-Warner Robins. Milledgeville=Greenville, Spartanburg=Macon, and Warner Robins=Anderson, that would give the state its large metro of over a million people Columbus, Augusta, Athens and Savannah would also be larger .

just one example of the impact on Atlanta by the University System of Georgia and this was in 2003 .
Eight institutions in the metro Atlanta area – Georgia Institute of Technology, Georgia State University, Clayton State University, Kennesaw State University, Southern Polytechnic State University, Georgia Gwinnett College, Atlanta Metropolitan College and Georgia Perimeter College – accounted for $5.3 billion of the University System’s $12.7 billion total, and 42,434 jobs.
???

Old 02-21-2011, 09:53 AM

4 posts, read 15,062 times
does anybody can answer my ques??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia