Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 07:26 PM

2,848 posts, read 6,438,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayorOfMacon2019 View Post
We understand how hard you guys work, but smethings you all do is just a waste of our tax dollars, why in the world is all of this construction going on at I-75, I-475 connector in Macon. Its horrible, I would say worst than before. I went out that way yesterday, and it looked like DOT had built a cement mixer, plant, or something. I could understand that but as I looked to my left, I saw a hill of dirt, about 200 feet high.
That hill is probably sand to be used by the plant to produce concrete or it could be 'base dirt' which forms the foundation of new roads. I no longer work for the DOT so not sure but most likely the interchange between I-75 and I-475 is being redesigned to handle more traffic in the future. I could give u technical/scientific reasons for all the maddening things the DOT does in this state (including why those 4 guys are standing around holding shovels while one man is down in that hole ) but I doubt It'll ease the pain of sitting in stand still traffic or squeezing between concrete barriers so I'll spare you. Sorry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2007, 07:21 AM

511 posts, read 2,477,162 times
I believe they are trying to making where you can get on 75 from 475 and visa versa.

Old 07-31-2007, 02:59 PM

61 posts, read 245,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Now now, you know that this doesn't work with the nutty Atlanta drivers or even those just passing through Georgia and Atlanta.

There are areas of the city where the congestion is so bad people nearly freak out every day and pop Paxil like it's aspirin. Does that stop them from taking that route every day? No. We warn people in the forums about moving to those areas and what will happen. Do they listen? No. Then later they come back to complain about the traffic.

Atlantans are addicted to the automobile. They drive their cars to their mailboxes. They drive one block to the dry cleaners and wait 10 minutes to make a left hand turn against nonbreaking oncoming traffic, rather than walk 3 minutes to the place.

You could literally narrow every roadway in the city down to two lanes and you know what would happen? They'd drive on them anyway. They'd get up two hours earlier just to get on them. They've continue to move here anyway as well, to add to it. It's time to face the fact that Atlanta is a "carwhore" city, and will just get worse with each passing year. And those just passing through will still continue to pass through unless other interstates are built as alternate routes by the Feds and states. This is unlikely to happen since every spare dime is now in war funding.

Amen...you really really said it!!!

Old 08-03-2007, 09:01 PM

3,709 posts, read 4,628,200 times
I think Georgia needs another north-south corridor to alleviate I-75 problems, which are perennial. The GA DOT needs to 4-lane US 441 from N.C. state line to the Florida state line as soon as possible. This will re-route some traffic away from Atlanta.

Old 08-04-2007, 12:46 AM

511 posts, read 2,477,162 times
lol, that would be highly impossible, but just as 285 was supposed to be a bypass, it turned into another crowded Atlanta highway, people are going to continue to flock to Atlanta for some ungodly reason.

Old 08-04-2007, 11:28 AM

1,072 posts, read 2,035,014 times
I believe there was talk years back of building a second north-south interstate in Georgia to relieve I 75...I think the route would have gone along the eastern side of the state through Athens, Augusta and connecting to I95 south of Savannah. Considering Georgia's enormous growth.. the state is deficient in its number of interstate grade highways.

Old 08-05-2007, 09:43 PM

28 posts, read 173,505 times
the problem with 75 is it is the main way into florida for the rest of the country of course there are other ways but it is the biggest one. That and the fact that south Atlanta traffic makes it even worse. Georgia needs a new highway south of Atlanta. The country does. That or expand 75 and mabye make it a toll road at some point. But it needs work.

Old 08-06-2007, 06:19 AM

90 posts, read 335,993 times
Windermere!! We lived there for 12 years, love it. Now when I go back to the area I become scared. It looks like all of Orlando is trying to swallow it up!!! We are formerly from Windermere Downs.

I'm looking for a place in Georgia that is like Windermere, perhaps the North East area... any suggestions? K

Old 01-21-2008, 04:32 PM

65 posts, read 370,819 times
I 95 through South Carolina definitely needs some work. Not necessarily widening, but some serious repaving, and some minor safety improvements. The speed limit should also be 75 mph, as most of SC near I 95 is just flat, straight nothingness.

And GA needs to hurry it up with there widening projects on I-95! The work zones are absolute nightmares to drive through (regardless of how fast you are going) with unnecessarily narrow bridge lane reductions that force you to move across rivers with huge trucks inches from your face on one side and concrete barriers inches from the other side of your car!

Last edited by jhsrichards; 01-21-2008 at 04:37 PM.. Reason: None

Old 01-21-2008, 07:17 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,192,862 times
I'm not making any excuses for I-75 or GDOT, but everything is relative. For the most part, the roads in GA, like I-75 are very good. The pavement is smooth and well marked, and construction isn't 24/7 during the summer months.

We moved to GA from New England, where the roads are simply awful, due to potholes, frost heaves, and neglect. Since all road work has to be done during the warm weather, summer is a never ending detour 24/7 on most major roads. In the winter months, sand and debris lines the sides of the road due to snow removal.

Don't be so unhappy with what you have, it could be worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia