Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2010, 10:24 AM

11 posts, read 35,167 times

Advertisements

I am 26. I was born and raised in Massachusetts. Went to college in Ohio. Have been living in Chicago ever since. Right now, I am deciding between staying in this industry (finance/investments) or switching in to another industry (probably consulting or real estate). Moving to Chicago was a no brainer after college b/c of the job opportunity and experience I've had since. But after burning out for 3.5 yrs I've realized I've sacrificed a lot of things - social life, leisure activities, etc. I want my next move to be based more on lifestyle and the job will be secondary (of course I'll bust ass there too...)

I am growing sick of Chicago's winters. The heat is on in my building from mid-October to mid-May, thats 2/3rd of the year. Growing sick of working 12-14 hour days in finance as well. I'm no where near mountains or the ocean either. It's time to head back East...

I am looking at two options: 1) Moving back to Boston. Pros - be near my family and a few friends. Cons - same crappy climate as Chicago, same liberal politics, same hustle and bustle, same cost of living... 2) Move to Charlotte. Pros - close to mountains/oceans, lower cost of living, conservative politics, slower pace of life, Southern women. Cons - would be away from family

In short the easy thing is to move back to Bos. The adventurous, more riskier move, is Charlotte...

How do other people, who have been in similar situations, weigh their priorities and options in deciding on a place to live?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2010, 10:29 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,113,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott01776 View Post
I am 26. I was born and raised in Massachusetts. Went to college in Ohio. Have been living in Chicago ever since. Right now, I am deciding between staying in this industry (finance/investments) or switching in to another industry (probably consulting or real estate). Moving to Chicago was a no brainer after college b/c of the job opportunity and experience I've had since. But after burning out for 3.5 yrs I've realized I've sacrificed a lot of things - social life, leisure activities, etc. I want my next move to be based more on lifestyle and the job will be secondary (of course I'll bust ass there too...)

I am growing sick of Chicago's winters. The heat is on in my building from mid-October to mid-May, thats 2/3rd of the year. Growing sick of working 12-14 hour days in finance as well. I'm no where near mountains or the ocean either. It's time to head back East...

I am looking at two options: 1) Moving back to Boston. Pros - be near my family and a few friends. Cons - same crappy climate as Chicago, same liberal politics, same hustle and bustle, same cost of living... 2) Move to Charlotte. Pros - close to mountains/oceans, lower cost of living, conservative politics, slower pace of life, Southern women. Cons - would be away from family

In short the easy thing is to move back to Bos. The adventurous, more riskier move, is Charlotte...

How do other people, who have been in similar situations, weigh their priorities and options in deciding on a place to live?

Thanks
I think your pro's for Charlotte outweigh the cons.

I know family is a huge factor, but Charlotte is closer to Boston than Chicago is. If you were able to handle being away from family for 3.5 years in Chicago, then Charlotte should be the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.