Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 11:37 AM

16 posts, read 46,652 times

Advertisements

I am a single mother of two. I feel I have come to a crossroad in my life. I want to leave Atlanta! I have this strong feeling I just want something different. I've lived in Atlanta all of my adult life. My kids are 10 and 7. I work from home. I can do my work anywhere. I'm fine with cold weather. I've never lived in extreme cold. But if you think I can buy some snow tires and make it, I'm there! I don't want there to be a lot of crime. I know crime is everywhere, but less than Atlanta would be great! I am black so a little diversity would also be great. If I go to a mall, I'd like to see at least five or more other black people! My daughter is into ballet. My son loves to sing. They both like to act. They are even sick of Atlanta! We love going to waterparks not too big on thrill rides. I hate a lot of heat. I need a couple of good malls. I love to shop. I don't really have any family. My husband is no longer living. I just want a new start. They are both honor roll students. Safe schools are very important. I don't have a great deal of money. Anything over $1,000 for a three bedroom apt, I can't do! Something smaller than LA, but larger than Mayberry would be great. Anyway, I think that's it. Please help me pick some places to decide from. Oh yeah, I hate tornadoes!! Thanks.

Last edited by deerinheadlights; 07-08-2008 at 11:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2008, 11:40 AM

29,890 posts, read 9,976,620 times
I think Chicago is right for you since you're fine with cold weather and like diversity, and you don't like hot weather, which happens in Chicago but is usually confined to July and August. It might be a bit expensive though...though the crime is less than Atlanta

good luck!!!

Old 07-08-2008, 12:12 PM

2,516 posts, read 5,696,899 times
Another vote for Chicago which is where i'm headed. Great city that has a little something for everyone. The summers are not as harsh as Atlanta's and there is much more to do.

Old 07-08-2008, 12:14 PM

I love Chicago, but I'm not sure I can afford it.

Old 07-08-2008, 12:39 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,932,427 times
Yeah. Chicago is pretty expensive city. The costs of parking alone are enough to shock people. And quite frankly, if you've never lived in the cold before, you might want a more gradual transition (instead of jumping right into the windy, -20 degree weather).

You could try NC. It won't be too much of a cultural transformation for you, but it will still offer a more mild climate than GA, and plenty of diversity. Raleigh and Charlotte are both safe, growing cities with plenty of opportunity. On a similar note, Tennessee is a great state for families and is one of the most affordable in the country.

For something a little bit more different, you could try maybe Colorado. It has that super family-friendly vibe...it's a great environment for kids and there's plenty to do outside. It gets cold in the winter, but it's not quite as cold as the midwest and northeast, and it's almost always sunny (which makes the winter weather more bearable). There isn't a lot of racial tension, so the local minorities fit in pretty well. It's also generally not as expensive as major cities like Chicago.

Old 07-08-2008, 01:10 PM

Thanks. I was really looking at Colorado Springs. However, the weather seems crazy there. It looks like there are a lot of violent storms. I've been traveling around the US this summer. I've planned to stop there next week. We stopped in Texas. I thought I'd died and gone to hell! I'd never go outside in the summer time. My daughter has really bad asthma. The smog in ATL was a big problem. I'm going to see how she does in the high elevation.

Old 07-08-2008, 01:30 PM

As far as I've heard...

There are some avalanches and such in the mountains, but cities east of the mountains (such as the Denver, COSprings, and all the burbs), are actually not really affected. I'm not really sure, though. Katiana would be a good person to ask.

Where else are you visiting? If you're planning on spending some time in the west, you may like Sacramento, CA. It's pretty diverse, not nearly as expensive as the rest of CA, and close to San Francisco for trips. And living in CA is a good deal for kids, since they'll get in-state tuition at some of the best public universities in the country (UC Berkeley, UCLA, UCSD, etc.).

Ummm...on the note of summer climates, the only places I can think of that are cool in the summer are the Pacific Northwest (Portland, Seattle, etc...which are nice, but always overcast in the winter), and perhaps Maine (which is a lovely place, but no big cities).

Old 07-08-2008, 01:34 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,348,350 times
Portland and Seattle sound idea to me from what you're describing. Not a lot of heat, fairly diverse I would think. Coast nearby. Rain to keep allergies down? Lots of trees for fresh air. Good paying jobs if you can land one. Though Seattle is scary expensive so not a lot of middle class can live in the area. Portland from what I have heard has a real bad economy right now too. HMMMM.

Maybe Vancouver Washington, Olympia Washington, Portland Oregon. I would think Seattle would be a great place for musicians/singers, and dancing. Plus there might be a good singles scene where you could find a good husband, or boyfriend, or not, whatever you preferred. The Pacific Northwest also has the least lightning storms with the exception of central California. Not many tornado's at all either. Not a lot of smog either, but a lot of fog

Dang I hope you find what you're looking for.

Old 07-08-2008, 01:36 PM

Portland is a lot more affordable than Seattle. Since she works from her computer, finding a job wouldn't be a problem, so Portland could maybe work.

Old 07-08-2008, 02:01 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,348,350 times
Hmm yea. Asheville, Chattanooga, or Knoxville(careful nuclear power plant there) maybe? Tennessee is probably less expensive than North Carolina, especially overpriced Asheville. You have the mountains, universities, Nashville(music and dance), Dollywood theme park and waterpark! Even though I hate to say this, but Columbus, Cincinnati, or Cleveland might also be worth looking in to. Winters with snow are nice, I don't care what anyone says. Ohio has four very distinct seasons, with rain, snow, sun, and clouds. Hot, mild, cold, and cool. Lots of parks exct. BUT WAIT, you said your daughter has asthma, Ohio is one of the worst places if not the worst for asthma. I think the state leads nationally at people developing asthma.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.