Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 08:57 AM

21 posts, read 76,628 times

Advertisements

I've posted in a couple forums, but we are still lost.
We are a couple aged 22 and 23, recently graduated looking to move up North out of Florida.

My boyfriend will be looking for an accounting job, I graduated with a Bachelor's in International Studies and Spanish, but am not sure what to do, and am thinking about subbing to see if I like teaching, and if so go back to school for that. (But we will take whatever jobs we can get right away and worry about the rest later if we have to)

The thing is....we don't know where to go!

-We want lots of snow
-Hate the heat/humidity
-Don't go out that much, only sometimes
-Love food

That's about it...the top 2 are the most important...Although I know that a lot of the places we are considering are humid in the summer, and if we have to take it we will. We are looking to spend around $500 a month on an apartment.

We are currently looking at Indiana, Ohio, Pennsylvania, North Carolina, Virginia...

I know, this is all very open, but any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2010, 08:59 AM

908 posts, read 1,830,721 times
Pittsburgh PA should fit the bill:

Pittsburgh Hotels, Attractions & Vacation Packages : Pittsburgh PA CVB

Old 12-08-2010, 09:26 AM

27,231 posts, read 43,997,566 times
You might consider Minneapolis/St Paul. It's not expensive, has lots of choices in your price range, plenty of snow, nice people, a great food scene, is a thriving big city and most importantly in this economy...has a very low unemployment rate (6.5%).

Minneapolis See + Do: Things to Do in Minneapolis: Things to See in Minneapolis: Minneapolis site seeing and Minneapolis Events

http://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc...&sortby=rating

Minneapolis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-08-2010, 09:27 AM

1,103 posts, read 2,263,463 times
chicago would be cool since you're young. you can find a place for 500 a month. your bf shouldn't have a problem finding an accounting job in chicago. it's like the 2nd financial capital of the u.s. plus they get lots of snow and the food's awesome.
chicago apts/housing for rent classifieds - craigslist

Old 12-08-2010, 02:04 PM

93,455 posts, read 124,189,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandelionDeseos View Post
We are a couple aged 22 and 23, recently graduated looking to move up North out of Florida.

My boyfriend will be looking for an accounting job, I graduated with a Bachelor's in International Studies and Spanish, but am not sure what to do, and am thinking about subbing to see if I like teaching, and if so go back to school for that. (But we will take whatever jobs we can get right away and worry about the rest later if we have to)

-We want lots of snow
-Hate the heat/humidity
-Love food

That's about it...the top 2 are the most important...Although I know that a lot of the places we are considering are humid in the summer, and if we have to take it we will. We are looking to spend around $500 a month on an apartment.

We are currently looking at Indiana, Ohio, Pennsylvania, North Carolina, Virginia...

Central New York Jobs in Banking/Financial

Central New York Jobs

welcome! · cnymenus · dot · com ·

Syracuse Apartments for Rent | Syracuse NY Apartment Finder

cnyrealtor.com | #1 in Syracuse real estate and homes for sale. Search over 6,000 listings.

Visit Syracuse :: Syracuse Convention & Visitors Bureau

https://www.sujobopps.com/applicants/jsp/shared/frameset/Frameset.jsp?time=1291842176816 (broken link)

Current Employment Opportunities at Le Moyne College

http://www.mapskrieg.com/view/syracuse/

Old 12-09-2010, 11:49 AM

655 posts, read 2,329,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandelionDeseos View Post

-We want lots of snow
-Hate the heat/humidity
-Love food

I believe the State that meets all your requirements is UPSTATE New York. I'd like to suggest one of the following cities: Metro Syracuse (population 450,000+), Metro Rochester (pop. approx. 900,000+), Metro Buffalo (pop. 1,250,000+), or Metro Albany/Schenectady/Troy/Cohoes/et al. (pop. approx. 1,000,000+).

If you go to the Syracuse forum on City-Data, Syracuse City-Data members will be glad to help you with any information you would like.

1. "We want lots of snow". ~ Our cities have it. And we have nearby snow skiing & snowmobiling & winter sports/activities.
2. "Hate the heat/humidity". ~ We don't have the OPPRESSIVE humidity experienced in states farther south. Our summer temperatures are high 70's-80's-sometimes low 90's.
3. "Don't go out that much, only sometimes". ~ That would be entirely your choice here. But I think that our weather and temperatures year-round and all the attractions/events/nightlife/restaurants/shopping and our beautiful countryside is available and enjoyable whenever you decide to go out. Our countryside offers: the beautiful Finger Lakes Region southwest of Syr. has rolling land/vineyards/farmland/lovely lakes, north of Syracuse is the Thousand Islands/Alexandria Bay village in the St. Lawrence River, northeast of Syracuse are the Adirondack Mountains/Old Forge/Lake Placid with forests and lakes, and you should visit/see magnificent Niagara Falls.
4. "Love food". ~ All types and selections of food and restaurants: Italian, Irish, German, Greek, Chinese, Japanese, Mexican, Steaks, Seafood, All-American, and more, etc. etc. in all our cities. Syracuse has the famous summer event called the "Taste of Syracuse" where you walk around this festival and try various types of food. There are also other nationalities festivals where they serve foods from those countries.

Some big events we have in the Metro Syracuse region are:
1) Syracuse Nationals Car Show - several thousand classic/antique/street rods/unique cars on display every July.
2) Syracuse Hot Air Balloon Festival held at Jamesville suburb.
3) The New York State Fair held in late Aug./Sept.
4) Madison-Bouckville Antique Show/Sale/Event & Flea Market in Bouckville.
5) Oswego Harborfest held in Oswego.
6) Syracuse University Football/Basketball/Lacrosse. Syracuse Crunch Hockey sports. Syracuse Chiefs Baseball games.
7) Numerous Fireworks Displays/Events on many/various days and at various locations/towns on several days around Independence Day.
8) And more.......

Apartments for $500. Yes, you can find that price range in Syracuse city, Liverpool (lots of apartments there), as well as the other Suburbs. Liverpool is a nice area with a nice big Park on Onondaga Lake for jogging, bike riding, rollerblading, walking, picnicing, (not swimming), watching sailboats, boating, & just relaxing.

Here is what some people have said about their experience in moving to Syracuse. Click on the link line below to read what they had to say.
http://blog.syracuse.com/cny/2010/08..._new_york.html

I hope you will consider Metro Syracuse for your new location. Best of luck to you with your plans and whatever you decide to do.

Old 12-09-2010, 12:11 PM

93,455 posts, read 124,189,891 times
Actually, the Syracuse metro is more like 650-735, 000, depending upon if Cayuga County is included in the metro(sometimes is/isn't). CNY has over 1 million people too.

Old 12-09-2010, 12:48 PM

13,356 posts, read 39,989,325 times
If you hate heat/humidity, then you should look out West. Even though places like upstate NY get lots of snow in the winter, their summers can be very warm and very humid.

Check out places like Denver, Colorado Springs, Salt Lake City, Boise, Spokane.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 12-09-2010, 12:55 PM

3,336 posts, read 6,947,710 times
des moines, madison, twin cities, milwaukee, green bay, appleton, grand rapids

boise / salt lake if you don't mind being out west

Old 12-09-2010, 01:05 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,825,687 times
Pittsburgh, Syracuse, Columbus OH, Charlotte...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.