Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2011, 10:01 AM

35 posts, read 174,492 times

Advertisements

I have the opportunity to move to pretty much any region of the USA in a little over a year. The fact that my schedule this year won't allow me to travel makes this decision all the more overwhelming. I basically have to decide based on reading and talking to people. Without getting into too much detail, the only requirement is that there must be a major academic hospital in the area. I would like to narrow my search to a handful of cities so I can concentrate my efforts on learning about each one in more detail. Any and all suggestions welcome. Where should I be looking??

My "wish list":
- warm weather; very little/no snow (although I am considering the NE region because of the diversity, cultural richness, higher number of educated professionals)
- friendly/liberal
- lots of single professionals, 25-35 crowd (especially educated single men )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2011, 11:02 AM

93,257 posts, read 123,898,066 times
This might help: maps : Who's Your City? by Richard Florida

Old 01-17-2011, 11:19 AM

1,034 posts, read 4,392,163 times
Well, I wouldn't call it liberal per-se, but check out Tucson, AZ. They have a University Medical Center and a wonderful climate. Since they get lots of med students and residents through the school, I'd image their single male population goes up and down with the schedule of internships. Weather can get hot in the summer, but not as bad as Phoenix (I actually escape to Tuscon once in awhile in the summers). Winters are beautiful with snow in close proximity.

Old 01-17-2011, 08:57 PM

27,196 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaches84 View Post
I have the opportunity to move to pretty much any region of the USA in a little over a year. The fact that my schedule this year won't allow me to travel makes this decision all the more overwhelming. I basically have to decide based on reading and talking to people. Without getting into too much detail, the only requirement is that there must be a major academic hospital in the area. I would like to narrow my search to a handful of cities so I can concentrate my efforts on learning about each one in more detail. Any and all suggestions welcome. Where should I be looking??

My "wish list":
- warm weather; very little/no snow (although I am considering the NE region because of the diversity, cultural richness, higher number of educated professionals)
- friendly/liberal
- lots of single professionals, 25-35 crowd (especially educated single men )

Durham/Chapel Hill, NC

Little snow, mild four season climate, a lot of diversity, culturally rich, a highly educated population, friendly, liberal, a lot of younger singles and two major academic hospitals 10 miles apart, both Duke University Medical Center and the UNC Hospitals.

Durham, North Carolina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Chapel Hill, North Carolina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Location Details - Duke University Hospital - DukeHealth.org
About Us —

Old 01-18-2011, 12:56 AM

285 posts, read 642,189 times
Check out the San Francisco Bay area. The climate is mild, its beautiful, its liberal, and there are many highly educated professionals. I cannot imagine a better place for someone from outside the country to spend a year where they can get the mix of bustling urban areas, beautiful parks, mild weather, and top notch cultural amenities.

Old 01-19-2011, 10:00 AM

5,521 posts, read 8,767,316 times
I'd strongly consider University towns, where you'll find the social life you want in addition to the professional opportunities.

The Research Triangle (Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill NC) as someone has already said, stands out for good climate, genreally liberal, friendly and culturally aware, and of course the big teaching hospitals--although Durham itself leaves a bit to be desired I've heard (never been there myself, just to Chapel Hill.) Similarly take a look at Charlettsville, the home of U of Virginia and on a larger scale, Nashville, home to Vanderbilt U. Its a nifty little city, often overlooked with an interesting mix of Southern charm and progressive thought.

I'd also consider Seattle, famously liberal and full of hospitals, and if not always warm, at least not snowy-- and rainy a lot less than popular perception.

In the cold northeast of course there are the usual big centers in the Boston-Washington corridor, but for a smaller, more friendly alternative I'd consider Providence RI, home of Brown U. And in the cold Midwest take a look at Ann Arbor, home of U. Michigan and Madison, home of U Wisconsin, which has the additional advantage of being close to Chicago when you need a big city fix.

Old 01-20-2011, 08:33 AM

93,257 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
If you go with the Northeast, perhaps the Poughkeepsie area, which has more men and it's proximity to NYC is great. There's also some nice artsy communities like Rhinebeck, New Paltz, Saugerties and Red Hook close or in that area. There are quite a few colleges in that area as well.

Another Northeastern area that might work is Rochester, which also has more men and has quite a few colleges. You would probably like neighborhoods like Park Ave. South Wedge, Swillburg and most of the Monroe Ave. neighborhoods(Monroe Village, Upper Monroe, etc.). It is more white collar and is pretty affordable as well.

Weather might be the only factor for both, but the Poughkeepsie area is going to have less snow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.