Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 02:25 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,827,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeromeville View Post
Upstate NY hasn't got any real pests although Lyme Disease carrying ticks seem to be on the rise.

In late spring and early summer there are tent caterpillars which can get disgusting if you are in an area with a large infestation. They fall out of trees, poop on everything, and climb on everything. Then in June they turn into moths and go away.

I thouhgt thst until I went back int eh woods of upsate new york with a friend. Mopsuitoes;biting black flys and nats were terrible in many areas.Thatwas in October too. Same with Maine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2009, 02:28 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,928,005 times
Colorado (namely Denver metro) has very few pests, that is if you exclude Canadian geese, bunnies, squirrels, and foxes.

Old 10-11-2009, 08:04 AM

398 posts, read 1,317,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I;ve always found that the ural area have natural pest problems and the rban more like rats etc.
Oh yes, I forgot about rats. Portland has a bunch of those guys too! Also, nutria (like giant rats, ROUS). LOL

Before this question was posted, I really hadn't thought much of all the critters/bugs/pests that I left behind in Portland, and how critter/bug/pest free my new home in Dayton, OH really is. We don't even have mosquitos here. I wonder what makes critters/bugs/pests attracted to one area over another?

Old 01-28-2012, 01:49 PM

3 posts, read 11,858 times
So from what i'm hereing from on here . You are somewhat ok in the Rocky moutains and few place's menchened like Or and Wa ....... !!!!!!!
Is there anay other state's? Im ok with ratteler's snakes on and o cation
It's just those really pesty widows and scorpions . If they are far and few any one could live with them

Old 01-28-2012, 02:29 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,555,846 times
Pick somewhere with a cold climate; it is getting harder to find these days, Termites tend not to survive close to the northern border so that would be a start.

Old 06-25-2013, 11:06 PM

120 posts, read 216,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyFan View Post
SoCal has very, very few bugs. Same with Colorado The upper Midwest -- Minnesota, Wisconsin, etc, has a ton of mosquitos!

Of course, places like Florida, Alabama, Louisiana have different bug issues.
So Cal has ants, bees, wasps and flies during the summer. Hate them all!

Old 06-26-2013, 09:47 AM

1,000 posts, read 1,863,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tet tea View Post
I would say the Wisconsin, Minnesota area has the least amount of pests.
Well, we don't have as much as the south, but we dont hav the least. We have the average stuff (ants, spiders, bees, wasps, flies, gnats, centipedes, cockroaches, etc.) but we have a huge amount of mosquitoes,some that carry West Nile Virus, lots of ticks, many which carry Lyme Disease, we have poisonous insects, like the brown recluse spider, which is deadly if not treated, we have pretty violent black flies, leeches, japanese beetles, carpenter ants that can infest the walls of your home (yuck), spider mites and stuff, and toads. I remember that there used to always be swarms of thousands of toads that would always be everywhere during the summer growing up. Toads were always infesting our yard, rocks, garage, etc. and lawn mowing could be a mess. We have snakes too.

Old 06-26-2013, 09:58 AM

6,662 posts, read 13,326,306 times
Human pests are a bigger concern than insects and rodents IMO.

Old 06-27-2013, 05:59 AM

27,182 posts, read 43,876,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Pick somewhere with a cold climate; it is getting harder to find these days, Termites tend not to survive close to the northern border so that would be a start.
I agree, especially at elevations above 8500 feet. Colorado has 38 towns above that altitude and is the only state with cities of any kind of population at that level.

Old 07-23-2013, 05:47 PM

3 posts, read 7,122 times
I live in San Diego CA. I mean keep in mind that I live right downtown in a high rise, vs. an area in the suburbs closer to the hills or mountains. I do not even have screens on my windows, and have never in my life seen a spider or bug (not even on my balcony that has indoor outdoor furniture). I have had a couple flies in the spring, but that has been the worst. Its usually in the 60s to 70s right by the coast, so we leave our doors and windows open year round for the most part, even at night. Now I know I have that there are a lot more bugs, etc as you go out toward the mountains and the Eastern suburbs, etc, but I am not sure since I have always lived downtown above about the 10th floor or so. Also, we do not spray here ever, as it seems like some areas in the South and South East seem to need to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.