Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2016, 06:34 PM

1,285 posts, read 1,394,538 times

Advertisements

Definitely not Maine. I did construction in Maine. There are a lot of places that have severe wolf spider infestations. Some were more or less tarantulas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2016, 10:51 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,873,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Chalk it up for yet another reason why Seattle/Portland and the PNW are the best! It never gets tiring.
Not sure if you were being sarcastic here. But in truth the PNW has very few pest problems. The worst would be slugs, but they move V-E-R-Y S-L-O-W-L-Y!

Old 03-07-2016, 08:23 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times
termites are a huge problem in the PNW accounting for many millions of dollars in prevention and remediation. Plus, they are ugly and once when I was little and visiting our relatives in Seattle I saw a bunch of them eating my grandpa's wooden leg, causing me to cry and flee his house in terror

Last edited by Ghengis; 03-07-2016 at 08:45 AM..

Old 03-07-2016, 04:08 PM

270 posts, read 325,762 times
Kind of amazed by the wildly different opinions on California (maybe different parts of the state?). I'm currently in coastal SoCal and the main pests here are termites and (if you have pets) fleas. Coyotes are also an issue; I have only ever seen one or two over the years, but some neighborhoods have many more. I see black widows every now and then, and a pretty good number of spiders in general, but nothing crazy. The little black ants can be a nuisance sometimes. Watch out for rattlesnakes if you hike. But, despite the various dangerous creatures you could encounter here, I find that the actual rate of encountering them is overall pretty low, and there isn't a high volume of bugs in general. I doubt Southern California has the fewest pests, but I'd say there are fewer here than average.

Old 03-07-2016, 04:17 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,958,276 times
North Georgia does well in the mosquito department, but there are times when the flies are a problem. We also have ticks, termites, scorpions, carpenter bees, and a good assortment of snakes, both poisonous and not.

Old 03-08-2016, 10:09 AM

102 posts, read 129,462 times
The PacNW is not very buggy compared to much of the US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Not sure if you were being sarcastic here. But in truth the PNW has very few pest problems. The worst would be slugs, but they move V-E-R-Y S-L-O-W-L-Y!
Yes! I used to find slugs on my front door when I lived in Seattle. lol But, they don't move fast and aren't scary so no biggie.

Last edited by Count David; 03-08-2016 at 12:58 PM..

Old 03-08-2016, 07:12 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,873,269 times
It is funny how when you grow up with certain pests they become benign. I have no problem with slugs, but roaches or mosquitos or Palmettos tend to scare me just a bit.

Old 03-09-2016, 07:18 PM

102 posts, read 129,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
It is funny how when you grow up with certain pests they become benign. I have no problem with slugs, but roaches or mosquitos or Palmettos tend to scare me just a bit.
Yep, me too. I'm in TX now and yeah, the bugs are bigger here too!

Old 04-30-2016, 12:18 AM

33 posts, read 53,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post

There ARE flies in Phoenix, and not only do they have TONS of bees, but they have a very large population of Africanized bees (aka "killer bees").
Also,scorpions. And those get into houses. And shoes.

Old 04-30-2016, 12:26 AM

33 posts, read 53,244 times
The things I worry about in SoCal,are roaches&centipedes&milipedes. I don't know if that's just people trying to make me want to not live there or just being overdramatic,or if it's for real,or whatever,but I'm looking into moving to southern California&have had numerous people warn me about those repulsive bugs&seeing lots of them in homes/infestations of them in general. And also walking stick bugs,which I don't mind too much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.